How much bz admin time is needed?

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
Yojimbo
Private First Class
Private First Class

How much bz admin time is needed?

Post by Yojimbo » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:01 am

I'm thinking of running a new BZ server; I have the servers, the admin resources, and a reason for players to come ...

But how much time will I have to spend administering my bz server; detecting and banning cheats, that sort of thing... ?

I'm happy importing other sets of admins from other places that I know ...
Yojimbo Sanjuro -- bodyguard for hire. Ronin admin, still missing Hepcat and Silvercat ...

z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: How much bz admin time is needed?

Post by z[h]ero » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:01 am

Yojimbo wrote:But how much time will I have to spend administering my bz server; detecting and banning cheats, that sort of thing... ?
A hint, maybe you already know about it: I suggest to activate "poll kick" and "poll ban" for registered players in your server config. So in the case noone is administering and enough registered players are available, then they have a chance to get rid of rule-breakers/cheaters.

How much time? The more, the better. :wink:
Ok, more seriously, activate logs on your server. In this way -by checking regulary the logs- you will learn by-and-by how often rule-breaking people occur.
Additionally, if you are often online, you simply could join as observer, to observe incidents in real time.

(From my experience it's often very different. Sometimes i played several days -one after another- without meeting any rule-breakers, but on another day i saw myself confronted with several issues)

Btw, interestingly people generally don't care about rude language, even extreme rude behaviour/language normally don't makes them leave the map. In my opinion, the only real issue are cheaters which anyway arn't often active, and the next BZ-version will have FINALLY much better anti-cheat features, so the situation isn't at all as bad like it seems.
Yojimbo wrote:I'm happy importing other sets of admins from other places that I know ...
Just to let you know: There is a high chance this will result in having a ton of admins, who anyway won't visit the map, as they prefer only their favorite map. This happened often in the bz community.
Alternatively you could make the most frequent (registered & trustworthy) visitors on your server admins.
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."

spitfirre

Post by spitfirre » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:36 pm

What is your server name and port i might want to help watch it with poll ban/kick bcz i'm registered. plus most servers arent that fun and i'm looking for new ones.

Yojimbo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: How much bz admin time is needed?

Post by Yojimbo » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:09 am

z[h]ero wrote: A hint, maybe you already know about it: I suggest to activate "poll kick" and "poll ban" for registered players in your server config. So in the case noone is administering and enough registered players are available, then they have a chance to get rid of rule-breakers/cheaters.
Yeah, that sounds like a reasonable idea.
z[h]ero wrote: Additionally, if you are often online, you simply could join as observer, to observe incidents in real time.
I was thinking of some sort of observer-bot transferring in-game messages direct to me over Jabber ... that should be easy enough to script up.
z[h]ero wrote: (From my experience it's often very different. Sometimes i played several days -one after another- without meeting any rule-breakers, but on another day i saw myself confronted with several issues)
Several times over the years I've had a good game-playing session completely ruined by idiots; having to drop into observer mode in order to follow them and 'prove' that they are breaking rules and having to ban wide IP ranges to get rid of them ...

z[h]ero wrote:
Yojimbo wrote:I'm happy importing other sets of admins from other places that I know ...
Just to let you know: There is a high chance this will result in having a ton of admins, who anyway won't visit the map, as they prefer only their favorite map. This happened often in the bz community.
I enjoy finding a new server, and discovering that I'm already trusted to be an admin or cop, because I fulfil that role on other servers. I don't expect many of the wider admin-community that I know of to turn up on my server though; they're not really in the target audience!

Anyway, some points to consider. Perhaps in a few weeks I'll get a server running permanently :-)
Yojimbo Sanjuro -- bodyguard for hire. Ronin admin, still missing Hepcat and Silvercat ...

A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:20 am

Yojimbo wrote:
z[h]ero wrote:
I enjoy finding a new server, and discovering that I'm already trusted to be an admin or cop, because I fulfil that role on other servers. I don't expect many of the wider admin-community that I know of to turn up on my server though; they're not really in the target audience!

Anyway, some points to consider. Perhaps in a few weeks I'll get a server running permanently :-)
While I do not necessarily endorse any certain groups to use as a starting point, look at large, tried and true groups. And of course the BZFX.* groups (highly screened people that admin all BZFX servers, I do not accept admin askers either and only add people who are long time administrators) – the only reason I would endorse my own groups is because if I endorse any others some may feel left out and not appreciate that too much.

As for getting your server up in a few weeks, starting a server on your own computer is a great starting point to learn or have a very small server, but anything beyond that will not scale very well. Others (as well as myself, of course) offer reasonable server services on dedicated servers with large amounts of bandwidth and resources (please PM for more details).
Yojimbo wrote:But how much time will I have to spend administering my bz server; detecting and banning cheats, that sort of thing... ?
That entirely depends on many aspects. It depends how popular your server is and what sort of quality of service you want to provide to players. It also depends on how strict your rules want to be, as the stricter they are, the smaller subset of players that will be able to follow them (generally). Expect to have enough admins to provide near 24/7 coverage (granted, this is impossible to calculate, you will only know by experience).

Another side note, I highly recommend you log. Look into the logDetail plugin. It is very useful for reviewing cases that may arise.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com

lol_u died

Post by lol_u died » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:18 am

I'll be more than Happy to admin and patrol your map! i'M admin on about 16 maps. So having one more is No problem. And yes I know being admin is not fun and games it's all work I know! hehe PM me