Please Help

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
Nerd Ranger
Private
Private

Please Help

Post by Nerd Ranger »

Hi, I'm an avid mapmaker, and have made one I am really proud of, and want to get a server on the public list. I've tried following Cannon ball guy's advice, but my terminal keeps on coming up with: -a: command not found and so on.
I'm on Mac OS X tiger, and would really appreciate some help!
thanks!
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Post the command line you are using and config file (minus the password) if you have one. We aren't mind readers ;) and that is where your mistake is at, most likely.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

Well, to find out what you're doing wrong we need at least your conf file, your map file and the bzfs version you are using.

Please keep in mind the guide is a joke for a public server. Don't go that way for a public server, ever. If you can't manage to find out how to run bzfs by yourself then you are likely not to know how to make sure the setup is secure.
GU league: http://www.guleague.org/
An introduction to TCP: http://www.lafkon.net/tc/
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Please Help

Post by z[h]ero »

@Nerd Ranger: The usage of the console application bzfs is OS independent. (Means, you don't need to search and read exclusive Mac OS bzfs guidance, as any bzfs instruction will do it, too. That's one reason why I'm not a fan of bzfs-guidance with just an OS-specific title, it simply confuses some people...)
Please keep in mind the guide is a joke for a public server.
Let me be more concrete to "Nerd Ranger": http://my.bzflag.org/w/Creating_A_Server
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
Nerd Ranger
Private
Private

Post by Nerd Ranger »

Thanks. I'll follow the advice on the wiki, but for the meantime, i enclose the conf and the bzfs file. I know there is nothing wrong with the map, as it works over a LAN.
Attachments
bzfs.txt
(67 Bytes) Downloaded 105 times

[The extension conf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

When starting bzfs correctly with your config-file, bzfs tells you the syntax errors. (So you can easily find the line where the error in your config-file is).
I will give 2 examples how to work systematically with bzfs.

1st Bzfs writes:
bad argument "Hi."
In your configuration this is the line that contains "Hi.":
-autoTeam Hi. Welcome to Edan's Castles
Change the previous line into:
-autoTeam
(Some lines above you already have the server-message "Welcome to Edan's server" in correct command-syntax)

2nd Example:
bad argument "-noMasterBanList"
This means, either your bzfs doesn't know how to interpret the command "noMasterBanList", as your bzfs is too old, or the syntax is written uncorrectly. The second case is the issue. It has to be:
-noMasterBanlist
Oh, and bzw-files are attached with the world-paramter, so you change this line:
-Edan's Amalgamated Castles.bzw
like that:
-world "Edan's Amalgamated Castles.bzw"
(the quotation marks are necessary, too!)

Wondering whether you already did manage to start bzfs correctly with a config-file?
If you managed that step, then I wish you good luck in finding and correcting all syntax errors with bzfs. (Other syntax-errors are left...)
Hint: If an syntax-incorrect line is not really necessary then temporary comment the line with the #-symbol, instead of searching too long for a syntax-correction.

Btw, if you are going to make your server public, change this line:
-passwd []
Else people can manipulate your server-settings with this server-password.

Important, in your other file bzfs_897.txt you did specify the inexistent file "conf.conf"instead of your attached config-file "conf_997.conf".
Last edited by z[h]ero on Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

z[h]ero wrote:Important, in your other file bzfs_897.txt you did specify the inexistent file "conf.conf"instead of your attached config-file "conf_997.conf".
The forum appends a number after the filename when files are uploaded. If you look at their actual post, you can see the original filename when they uploaded it.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Nerd Ranger

If you need to pass information with spaces, you need to contain them inside double quotes. For example:

Code: Select all

-public "Your public description here"
I noticed you have the following:

-votesRequired 1
First, that should be:

-poll votesRequired 1
And second, you don't want to set that to 1. That would mean that any use could come on a kick/ban players off your server.

I would recommend reading the manual page for BZFS. In Windows, there is a HTML version provided via the start menu program group. On Linux, you can run 'man bzfs'. Not sure how Mac OSX handles that.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

blast wrote:I would recommend reading the manual page for BZFS. In Windows, there is a HTML version provided via the start menu program group. On Linux, you can run 'man bzfs'. Not sure how Mac OSX handles that.
Mac OS X can use the man pages, too but BZFlag does ship with neither HTML doc nor the man pages.
GU league: http://www.guleague.org/
An introduction to TCP: http://www.lafkon.net/tc/
Nerd Ranger
Private
Private

Post by Nerd Ranger »

Great, thanks for all your help, and i'll give it a go!
However, I'm beginning to wonder wether the world really needs a most likely second rate BZFS... :wink:
Legolas_
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas_ »

However, I'm beginning to wonder wether the world really needs a most likely second rate BZFS..
If you mean you're wondering about your computer working as a server, there should be no problem. However, there are many people out there with dedicated servers that could probably help you out in that respect. Your best bet for that is to stay nice, cooperative and do not assume they have to help you.