I can't get my server to work anyhow anywhere.

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
daddda
Private First Class
Private First Class

I can't get my server to work anyhow anywhere.

Post by daddda »

My son will lose all hope in me if I can't get this working for him...

Here's what I've done from my VISTA machine.

1. Bought a brand new Qwest compatible DSL modem (GT704WGR) with a built in router and got rid of the old ARESCOM 800 supplied by MSN. (Is MSN my problem?)

2. Opened up port 5154 (even tried 5155) on my new modem and have it forwarding to my home PC's IP that the router gives it, right?

3. Set up a free account with DynDNS to redirect "<myname>.dyndns.org" to my External IP. I clicked on the link DynDNS provided which was apparently my External IP. This information is obtainable from their webserver, right? I also grabbed their client app and installed it to apparently communicate with DynDNS to update my changing internal IP, right?

4. I downloaded a sample .conf file from "Bzflag.org" to get me started. I changed the -publicaddr (?) to say.. -publicaddr <myname>.dyndns.org:5154 and confirmed the -p said 5154 too. I made other modifications along the way as I experimented. Nothing.

5. I launched the following command bzfs -conf bzflag.conf and a shell popped up with a bunch of feedback. Among the feed back were 2 failed attempts at something making some reference to a monkey banging on the keyboard... what was that all about? Then it just sat there and printed every so often a line that looked a lot like a Ping request.

6. I then try to "Find Server" from Bzflag and my server does show up, but apparently this is only my local server. It shows up as my Computer name appended with my modems' name, I think. But no reference to my
-public "text". If I try to use it, internall of coarse, I get no Server found. However, if I directly type <myname>.dyndns.org leaving the port at 5154, I get another error suggesting it finds the server but can't communicate with it. Why would internally fail on this?

If I try all this same stuff on my XP machine, I get exactly the same stuff.

Does MSNs NAT setting hose stuff up? I read somewhere that NAT is bad, and I don't even know what it does.

I've messed around with my modem/router so much that I don't even know which way is up.

Help me save face so my son can think I'm cool.

Thanks,

Darrell
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

Maybe I skimmed too fast, but...

* Could you post the feedback that the shell gave you? It could just be map errors, or it could be something related to the server-side of things. There's a BZ-related pastebin available if you want, or you could just attach a .txt file displaying the issues.
* You said you cannot connect with your <name>.dyndns.org account. However, can you connect by typing in your external IP address and port? Can you at least connect by using your internal IP address, or even localhost? (if that's the server being used)
* Do you know if your DSL is using static or dynamic IP? If you're using a dynamic IP, then you'll need to use the DynDNS client app (IIRC). If you're using static IP, then you should be fine in that respect.
* By the way, I don't think the client app would help if your internal IP is changing. If your router allows it, try setting up a static internal IP address for what computer you're using as the server.
* Try setting up your server to use port 5155. Worth a shot. ;-)
* Could you maybe post the config file you're using, and possibly give the name of the map used? (if it's a custom, homebrew map, that might also be the problem)
* As far as I know, NAT is used internally (from the router within) to keep the packets organized so you can use multiple computers with just one external IP. If you have the ports forwarded to the correct internal IP, you shouldn't have that problem.

Maybe I've helped. Or, maybe not. But at least I hope I've given you some starting points. ;-)
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

Help me save face so my son can think I'm cool.
Good you mentioned it, else I wouldn't step in, as I know too well how family fathers feel.
Hint: There is an easier way to get deified by your kids, in the case of a non-english mother-language. Translate for them the brand-new naruto-chapters, and you will be adored. But be prepared, from that moment they will bully you every week for translation of the weekly chapters. (Secondly, be prepared to pay a high price: Some characters there are embarrassing, for real)

If something doesn't work like assumed, then make the system easier. So instead of step 3. and 4. get temporary rid of dyndns and just use the -publicaddr-command in combination with your router-ip.

Like F687/s mentioned, just post some screenshots or text of the error-messages. (Namely screenshot of 5. and post your conf-file)

zhero - Trying to make sure that family fathers get the respect of their kids that they deserve.
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
daddda
Private First Class
Private First Class

what I'm seeing

Post by daddda »

Here is my conf file and output window
Attachments
server.jpg
(85.81 KiB) Downloaded 21 times

[The extension conf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

blast
General
General

Post by blast »

First of all, your debug level stuff is a bit..off. You don't need to provide all four versions.
-d sets the debug level to level 1
-dd sets the debug level to level 2 (meaning that it does everything that 1 does, and more)
and so on. Switch to just -dd or -ddd (not both), as those provide enough information for most servers. -dddd is overkill.

Second, it's best to start with a VERY basic configuration file, and get that working first. And only then should you start added extra stuff.

Start with something like this:

Code: Select all

-ddd
-public "Daddda Server"
-p 5154
-publicaddr daddda.dyndns.org:5154
Get that working, then keep adding new things and testing. When it stops working, check what you just added.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

daddda
Private First Class
Private First Class

Another pic

Post by daddda »

Here is my newest screen dump from your simplified -conf file. I must admit, I did the same thing before and nothing improved. Nor did it today after your extremely simplified file.
Attachments
bzflag.jpg
(45.02 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

It looks like the list server isn't connecting back to your server. Verify that your Dynamic DNS Client software is running so that it continues to update your hostname if/when your IP changes. Also verify that port 5154 TCP and UDP is still forwarded to the right computer IP address in your network. Using a static IP for your hosting computer outside of the range of your DHCP server's address pool is recommended.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anomaly »

Blast already said this but I'll repeat it anyway.
You really should use a static IP on your LAN for the computer running the server and the static IP should not be one in the DHCP pool. That WILL cause you problems. Also make sure the WAN IP is the correct one. It sounds like your router already works with DynDns so it should update correctly.

At the end of the terminal output you provided there should be a player[0] connect and leave. That is the list server. When you see that output, you're in.

If you have a wireless and a wired interface on the "server" computer try using the "-i" option in your config. Give it the IP of the interface you want to use. Preferably the wired ethernet port.
daddda
Private First Class
Private First Class

still not working

Post by daddda »

Questions:

1. There IS an option for Static Routing on my router, but the screen doesn't have anything regarding TCP or UCP. Plus, I might have to have quite a bit of hand holding to get it correctly setup. Wouldn't my Hosting computer have to be configured as well? Is static routing really going to fix this?

2. Should I be able to ping daddda.dyndns.org from anywhere outside my home? (i.e. work computer) If so, it ain't happn'n. Neither is pinging my external IP... at least from what I can tell. External IP isn't easily found.

3. I don't really know what the -i option is. I set it to be
"-i daddda.dyndns.org" is this right or wrong? Do I need it?

4. Does either NAT, VISTA or MSN through QWest create concerns for anyone?

Can I provide anymore screenshots of anything? I'll send you a pic of my foot if it would help.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

1. Look at this website http://portforward.com/ it should help to make sure your router is set up correctly to forward port 5154 to you server from your outside address.

2. Depends, but you should be able to do a 'nslookup daddda.dyndns.org' and get your external address reported back. I return 71.35.192.165, is that correct? My guess is yes.

3. I would be concerned with the windows firewall, NAT shouldn't be an issue , MSN is not relevant (IMHO). With Vista you will have to add an exception for bzfs.exe . To do this:

1. Control Panel
2. Security
3. Allow programs through Windows Firewall
4. Now you have an option of allowing BZFS to recieve traffic no matter what, or just to allow windows to receive traffic on port 5154. 
The choice is yours, I would personally give access to the program, if it is something that will be up and down from time to time. If bzfs isn't running no traffic will be allowed through that is meant for it. If you open the port, the port will be open whether or not bzfs is running.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
daddda
Private First Class
Private First Class

response

Post by daddda »

I've looked at portforward.com before and my exact modem isn't listed. Not only that, but I've never seen BZFS or BZFLAG anywhere on the application listings. Am I missing something? It seems if my modem and bzfs aren't listed, then it's not much assistance.... Still port 5154 and portforwarding should be fairly straight forward, even for me.

I'll do some more things and check back with more info.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Did you check the firewall, if it is enabled and there is no rule, port forwarding won't do any good. Or any firewall for that matter.
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

When I mentionned the static IP, I was referring to the TCP/IP configuration of the hostinng computer, not the router. Static routingg is something completely different.

As for pings, most rrouters block that kind of communication by default.

daddda
Private First Class
Private First Class

getting closer

Post by daddda »

Must be getting closer..

Now I'm seeing player[0] but it's disconnecting right away.

Are we getting closer?

See attachment
Attachments
bzflag3.jpg
(64.04 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

That's what you want to get. The list server just makes a connection to the server to verify that it can be reached. Now, add in your other options, one at a time.

joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

You should be able to connect to it now though. Even without the other options.
anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: still not working

Post by anomaly »

daddda wrote:Questions:
3. I don't really know what the -i option is. I set it to be
"-i daddda.dyndns.org" is this right or wrong? Do I need it?
It sounds like you have solved the problem. but just so you know the '-i' option would be set to the IP address of the interface you want to use. For instance if you had two or more ethernet ports on your computer (either wired or wireless) you may need to tell bzfs which port to use. Especially if both ports are online. So if 192.168.1.50 was the static IP you chose for the server computer then you could enter -i 192.168.1.50 in your config and bzfs would use that port only. bzfs will listen on all active ports but may try to send on the wrong port.
daddda
Private First Class
Private First Class

Still not showing up

Post by daddda »

Okay guys, I really appreciate the progress we're making on this. However, if player[0] is what I'm supposed to be getting, and I was pretty sure it was because someone further up in this thread said so, then why is it disconnecting immediately? If the disconnecting isn't bad, which I'm pretty sure it is, then why doesn't my server show up correctly when I launch bzflag and select "-->Find Server"? What does show up is a reference to my server computer's name (HP-PC) and nothing else. I'm expecting "daddda.dyndns.org:5154 'Daddda Server'" to show up in the list, isn't that right? Even still, if I choose (HP-PC) and then "-->Connect", I get a "server not found". And when I type the "daddda.dyndns.org" at the "Server:" prompt, I get "error connecting to server".

It seems as though I'm doomed no matter what I try :(

Can you guys see it on your end? My guess is no.

Any ideas?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

It is supposed to disconnect. Like I said, it only connects to make sure you server is actually running. It doesn't join as a player or remain on the server. If the Find Server list, it's showing your local server that it found. Look for the public listing instead. You can use the search feature to do that. It's possible that you won't be able to connect to the public address because you are on the LAN. Not all routers support connecting back like that.

I see your server on the list server:

daddda.dyndns.org:5154 BZFS0026 0010000100000000000000000000c800c800c800c800c800c800c8 65.100.200.195 Daddda Server

z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Still not showing up

Post by z[h]ero »

I spawned successfully right now!
(Check your report file if you don't believe it ;) )
Not all routers support connecting back like that.
Indeed. It's a shame.
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

z[h]ero wrote:I spawned successfully right now!
(Check your report file if you don't believe it ;) )
Not all routers support connecting back like that.
Indeed. It's a shame.
But that doesn't mean you can't play on it. All you need to do is supply the LAN ip address in the server field on the client manually, and people outside the lan will have no problem connecting using the list in game. The issue can be solved with host files on your local machine, but that really seams like overkill for such a simple thing as providing the internal lan adress to bzflag.
daddda
Private First Class
Private First Class

Can it be true

Post by daddda »

Holy cow, so you guys are saying that you can now see my Server? At work my network has a pretty tight firewall so I can't see or do anything bzflag related. I'm going to have to see what happens at home tonight. I can remote PC to my house, but I still can't see me on the list. I'll just have to trust that you're all seeing it and able to spawn.... that's so cool!

Donny Baker, I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to with "The issue can be solved with host files " but I think I can figure it out.

You guys rock and I'll let you know what happens tonight.

Don't abandon me yet.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

To play on your server from inside your LAN (since the router doesn't seem to route back correctly):

I personally wouldn't use a host file, just as easy to type in your local server address. But if you wanted to use a host file...

http://geekswithblogs.net/thibbard/arch ... Vista.aspx

the line to add would look something like

192.168.0.1 daddda.dyndns.org

The 192.168.0.1 should be changed to your internal ip address. Your machine will check your hostfile first to see if it knows the ip address of daddda.dyndns.org before hitting your DNS server, so it will send it to your internal address.

FYI I'm donny_baker... callsign change :)
Last edited by joevano on Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

joevano wrote:All you need to do is supply the LAN ip address in the server field on the client manually, and people outside the lan will have no problem connecting using the list in game.
This statement makes no sence, as I told that I can spawn on the map => People outside the lan don't have a problem connecting => if these people don't have a problem, nothing needs to be done.
Just delete this sentence in your post, and your whole text will make sence.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

z[h]ero wrote:
joevano wrote:All you need to do is supply the LAN ip address in the server field on the client manually, and people outside the lan will have no problem connecting using the list in game.
This statement makes no sence, as I told that I can spawn on the map => People outside the lan don't have a problem connecting => if these people don't have a problem, nothing needs to be done.
Just delete this sentence in your post, and your whole text will make sence.
He was referring to playing from inside the LAN.