Need Help with public server!!!

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
M4 Sherman Commander
Private First Class
Private First Class

Need Help with public server!!!

Post by M4 Sherman Commander »

I am new to creating and administrating public servers. I know how to set up a private one with a custom map, but can't figue out how to start a public server. I am also a beginner with Windows Command Prompt. I am using a Windows XP. Please, can anyone help me?
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Need Help with public server!!!

Post by Bambino »

Add -public "dis mai noo kool map!"
and -publicaddr "127.0.0.1:5154"

"## List server Connection ##

# This is the public message that the server advertises on the public
# server list. This is required if you want to be shown on the list.
# It often advertises the map you are using. Keep it short.
-public "Noo BZFlag Server With Random Map"

# This is also needed to be listed on the public server list. The
# address needs to be valid in DNS. It's your IP, plus port number.
-publicaddr 123.456.789.000:5154

# The server will listen on this port. Default port is 5154.
-p 5154"

^ from the wiki
http://my.bzflag.org/w/Sample_conf
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
M4 Sherman Commander
Private First Class
Private First Class

I tried that but it said "error: unexpected EOF". It also said that my custom map "error: world map failed to load". Any ideas?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

it means that your map has errors.

The error messages usually mean what they say.

I'm guessing that your map is missing some parts.
ImageJeffM
M4 Sherman Commander
Private First Class
Private First Class

The map I made works fine in a private server. Is there something I need to do to the Command Prompt to make it work?
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

At the risk of sounding like a broken record...
JeffM wrote:it means that your map has errors.

The error messages usually mean what they say.

I'm guessing that your map is missing some parts.
Those parts would probably be the things you added when changing the map config so that the map would be "public" instead of private. So getting those parts right will make it work.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
M4 Sherman Commander
Private First Class
Private First Class

I think what would help me the most is step by step instructions for making a public server on Command Prompt. Can anyone please help me out.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

Code: Select all

cd C:\Program Files\bzflag2.0.10 <enter>
bzfs -conf conf.txt
Where conf.txt is your text file with the config settings.

Read. The. Wiki.

Search. The. Forums.

Read. Older. Posts.

These have been answered before.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

It really depends on your system and what you want to accomplish. Making a public server is not trivial. There are security concerns, router configuration, server settings, domain naming (if you want to use a "nice" server name rather than an IP address, etc. You UNDERSTANDING what and why you are doing something instead of following a script is VERY, VERY important. There are risks to the security of your machine if you misconfigure things, and you need to be very aware of them. No one will just give you a step by step, type this in script answer (any more than what Bambino did). If you need help understanding specific areas of setting up a server we will be happy to help, but generally they need to be very descriptive and direct questions. The answers are out there and you figuring this stuff out is part of the process of learning and understanding. If you do not have the skills to figure it out, it is probably for the best in relation to the safety of you computer and the other computers on your network.
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

To be bluntly honest, it's not worth our time to walk everyone through step-by-step how to create a server. There is more than enough information spread across the forum, wiki, man pages (or HTML pages for Windows) to get a server up and running publicly.

I would also recommend learning how to configure the server from scratch. Don't use a sample configuration. Read the documentation and understand what the settings do and if you need to use them. Then add them one at a time and test. Keep doing this until something breaks, because then you know it was this option that broke it, and you can figure out why. So, start off with just the -world option and make sure that works, and then add valid -public and -publicaddr settings, and so on.

If you have specific questions, we can certainly help with that.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

M4 Sherman Commander
Private First Class
Private First Class

I have tried the "cd C:\Program Files\bzflag2.0.10 <enter> bzfs -conf conf.txt", But when I hit enter before I type the "bzfs -conf conf.txt", It doesn't work it just keeps saying "C:\Program Files\BZFlag2.0.10" is not recognized as an internal or external
command, operable program or batch file." I have also tried the wiki and used the BZFS Configuration Builder, but it just gives me errors. What have I done wrong?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Then you need to learn how to use the command prompt. That isn't an issue with BZFlag in any way. And like I said, learn to configure the server manually. Do NOT use that configuration generator as it will cause you more headaches than you can imagine. ;)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

M4 Sherman Commander
Private First Class
Private First Class

When you say do it manually, do you mean type it out directly onto Microsoft Command prompt? If so, then do I still need conf.txt?
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

No he means to put the values in the configuration file yourself, one at a time, testing as you go. Do not use a configuration editor.
M4 Sherman Commander
Private First Class
Private First Class

I know how to make a configuration file. I just can't seem to make it run.I tried the suggestion above, but after I type "C:\Program Files\BZFlag2.0.10" and hit enter it gives the error message I posted earlier. If I do "C:\Program Files\BZFlag2.0.10\bzfs.exe" and hit enter, I can't type anything after that. If I make it all one command and type "C:\Program Files\bzflag2.0.10\bzfs -conf conf.txt", it gives the same error message as the first command I described. I'm obviously missing something, but I don't know what it is.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You're missing how to use your computer. Learn that first.

johnnyk154
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by johnnyk154 »

type this

cd c:\program files\bzflag2.0.10\

press return (enter)

then you need to know where your config is located...I made a file called bz under my C: drive

So then type

bzfs -conf c:\bz\conf.txt

which c:\bz\conf.txt being where i saved my config
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

This topic is over 4 months old.
InfraRed
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by InfraRed »

M4 Sherman Commander wrote:I know how to make a configuration file. I just can't seem to make it run.I tried the suggestion above, but after I type "C:\Program Files\BZFlag2.0.10" and hit enter it gives the error message I posted earlier. If I do "C:\Program Files\BZFlag2.0.10\bzfs.exe" and hit enter, I can't type anything after that. If I make it all one command and type "C:\Program Files\bzflag2.0.10\bzfs -conf conf.txt", it gives the same error message as the first command I described. I'm obviously missing something, but I don't know what it is.

I had the very same problem. You must be using Windows not Linux.
Windows does not like the period in the software name. Linux doesn't care.
i.e.
"C:\Program Files\BZFlg2.0.10"
versus
"C:\Program Files\BZFlag2"
once I changed the folder name to not have periods (and redid my shortcut to it)
it then worked...
I guess that underbars might also work, but the periods have to go.

Got the same error message.

It will not find the world file also until the bat file (which must include the quotes naming the path of the config file) referencing it can actually see your config file, which is where the world file is referenced...
I also could run it, just like you, as a private server with the periods in it.
But not as a public server.
Who knows why.
EQ balanced with IQ, eliminates Sleepwalking through life.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Um, Windows does just fine with periods in the name. You probably were just screwing something else up.