How To Run a BZFlag Server on Mac OS X: v.2

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

How To Run a BZFlag Server on Mac OS X: v.2

Post by mrapple »

This is a disk image of 5 files: A sample map, a configuration file, and a file containing one of the commands you need, a file with all the instructions, plus an application that runs all of the commands for you!

[b}Download: http://tinyurl.com/ServerHelpPack[/b]

Please note: This is a HIGHLY upgraded version of CannonBallGuy's tutorial.
If you notice any errors, mistakes, or anything else, pm me.

There is a ReadMe in the download, but here is an extra copy of it:

How to run your own server on Mac OS X! v.2

This document will simply get a server running on your mac. Version 2!

Included in the bzflag folder are 4 files:
1. map.bzw - This is the map file.
2. conf.conf - This is the configuration.
3. bzfs.txt - This file contains the command you need to run to start the server.
4. Start Server.app - This is an application I made to easily start your server!

What to do:

Before you start, move the bzflag folder into your home directory.

1. The map file included is a simple map with examples of a mesh box, mesh pyramid, material, physics driver, arc, cone, sphere, tetrahedron, teleporter, link, base, world weapon and zone.
Pretty much everything has a "#" in front of it. This makes it a comment so it is not actually used on the map. The best thing you can do is open the map in a text editor, take out the "#" a few at a time and see what happens when you mess around with the settings.

2. The configuration file has almost all the options you need in it, but again, many are commented out with a "#". Like with the maps, try taking a few of these out and change the settings. Save an extra copy in case you change some things you weren't supposed to. I will tell you what you need to change below, after you have gotten a sense of the options in the conf.
To learn more about configuration files, go to:
http://my.bzflag.org/w/Sample_conf

3. The bzfs.txt file contains one of the commands to make your server run.

4. The Start Server application is an application that I wrote. It does the few terminal commands that you need to start the server.

Now heres what to do:

Step 1:
a) Go into the bzflag folder in your home directory and open up bzfs.txt
b) There should be a line of text that says: /Applications/BZFlag-2.0.10.app/Contents/MacOS/bzfs -conf /users/<your_name_here>/bzflag/conf.conf
c) Change the /Applications/BZFlag-2.0.10.app/ to the location of bzflag on your computer (dont forget the .app) then leave the /Contents... after it.
d) Then change the <your_name_here> to your short username.

Step 2:
a) Open up the conf.conf with TextEdit. Either by dropping the file on the icon or choosing open with application...
b) Play around with the options until you get your conf how you like it. Try taking out some of the #. The options without the # will be in effect when you start your server. Dont mess with the options at the end of the conf. These are standard and I do NOT recommend changing them.
c) If you are having trouble with any of the parts, search the wiki, forums, and then at last resort, pm me on the forums: mrapplecomputer1.

Step 3:
a) Go into the bzflag folder, then open up the Start Server.app
b) Click run and you should be good!
c) Then terminal will print out loads of stuff like:
require UDP clients!
using spam time of 5
using spam warn amount of 4
... etc
d) If it does say that, then your server is now running! Go into bzflag and connect to server "localhost" port "5154"

------------YOU CAN STOP HERE. YOU ARE NOW RUNNING A BZFLAG SERVER. IF YOU WANT TO GET IT PULIC THOUGH, CONTINUE ON.------------

To get the server running PUBLICALLY you need to edit the following things in the conf file:

1. Change "#-p [PORT]" to "-p PORT" where "PORT" is the port you have open on your router and/or firewall. I will make a seperate tutorial on this soon, but it is easy. Google it :)

2. Then Change "#-publicaddr address" to "-publicaddr YOUR-IP/DOMAIN" where "YOUR-IP/DOMAIN" is either you'r external IP or the URL you have pointing to it. For help pointing a URL to your IP, see http://www.dyndns.org or http://www.no-ip.com.

3. Change "#-public Noob BZFlag Server" to "-public Noob BZFlag Server" where Noob BZFlag Server is what you want to appear next to your IP/URL on thepublic server list.

4. Now run the Start Server application and then terminal will say something like "Loading master bans ..." etc. If it does. You are now running a public server!

5. If the above 3 things still don't get you on the list, you may be behind some kind of proxy. To solve this, change remove the # in front of "-publiclist http://my.BZFlag.org:81/db/".

If you get any errors, please go back to where you got this from, or http://my.bzflag.org/bb and ask!

Enjoy! :D
Last edited by mrapple on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: How To Run a BZFlag Server on Mac OS X: v.2

Post by mrapple »

PLEASE PM ME FOR THE DOWNLOAD.

Thank you.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

mrapplecomputer1 wrote:PLEASE PM ME FOR THE DOWNLOAD.

Thank you.
Why should we have to do that?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mrapple »

blast wrote:
mrapplecomputer1 wrote:PLEASE PM ME FOR THE DOWNLOAD.

Thank you.
Why should we have to do that?
jeffm said the the application violated source code sumthin or another. :?: :?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

if you distribute software, and it does not violate anyone's copyright, and is released under an open source license, you can post it here.

Your previous statements did not make it clear what you are releasing nor what license you were using.
ImageJeffM
mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mrapple »

ok thanks jeff. appreciate it :)
Cheese Man
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cheese Man »

I have a qwestion. I have a running public server, but when i look at terminal, it sAYS listening on 0.0.0.0:6521 I went to NN, and his bzfmaps.net thing, but it looks like that is not going to work. I also tried no-ip .com, and still nothin'. Please help.
-Cheese Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

Um, I don't see a question to answer in that post...
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
Cheese Man
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cheese Man »

forget it, 'tis fine.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Listening on 0.0.0.0 means it will respond to requests on any of that computer's network interfaces. That is normal and typically fine. If you have multiple network interfaces or IP addresses and encounter issues, you might have to force it to a specific IP address using the -i option.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Cheese Man
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cheese Man »

so I would simply find my computer's ip and put it under the -i option.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You only need to do that if you have multiple network cards and/or multiple IP addresses. I'm assuming you don't.