Testing a server with more than one player...

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Testing a server with more than one player...

Post by cepris »

Hey, I am using this config file to test a map:

Code: Select all

-q
-c
-world world_file.bzf
-autoTeam
I wanted to test it with a friend over the internet, and it was to my understanding that -q didn't add it to public listing, but allowed anyone with the server and port to connect. Why wasn't it?? Thanks.
Cobra_Fast
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Re: Testing a server with more than one player...

Post by Cobra_Fast »

Why wasn't what?
The server went on the list? - The might be an options block in the map file making it public.
The server wasnt accessible? - If you were running from home, did you check that this generally works?
Anything else? - You or your friend are probably doing it wrong.
Last edited by Cobra_Fast on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
blast
General
General

Re: Testing a server with more than one player...

Post by blast »

The -q option only affects the game on LANs as far as I know. (I think the client might send out a request on the local subnet for any servers, at least on port 5154 - this option makes the server not respond to that)

If you want someone from the internet to play but you don't want the server list, just don't include any of the public options. By default, servers are not listed.

You also, of course, need to set up your router to forward TCP and UDP traffic to the correct host/port.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)