Log file

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Log file

Post by cepris »

Hi, I saw in the wiki/manpages how to make a report log file, but I was wondering if it was possible to make a chat message log file? Or would I used bzadmin for that?
blast
General
General

Re: Log file

Post by blast »

Use the -echo command line option for the client. If you are on Windows, it will create a stdout.txt file (I forget where, exactly). If you are on OSX/Linux/BSD/etc, you can redirect the output to a file of your choice.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

darkid
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by darkid »

/savemsgs works quite well for me.
Darkid--Not a happy camper.
cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cepris »

So do I just type -echo filenamehere.txt into the .conf file? Or is it something else? Thanks.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Maybe I'm confused what you are trying to do. Are you wanting to log chat from the server or the client? If the server (since this is the server setup forum...) then you can do that a couple ways. If you increase the debugging level to at least 1 (add a single -d to your conf) and then redirect output to a file, you will get chat. The other way is by leaving the debug level at 0, and then loading the logDetail plugin (and then again, redirecting output to a file).
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cepris »

I think I will go for the debug option. Will it make the file automatically, if not, how do I specify the file?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You will have to redirect output to a file using whatever method you want (which depends on the OS).

dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dereliction of duty »

example of what I've used for years which keeps files with the date timestamp as the name of the file (client side, linux os);

bzflag -echo > /home/steve/bzflag/logs/`date +%h-%d_%Y_%H-%M`.log
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Also, note that that will not work on Windows.

cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cepris »

Would I do that in the terminal or in bzfs?
dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dereliction of duty »

going by your sig, I'll assume linux. you can do that in a terminal, or add it to a file and call that file up to launch bz with.