BZFlag server Run.

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
FangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZFlag server Run.

Post by FangUp »

It has been some time since the last time i ran my server. Now i have a bit of troubles doing it since every time i start it the error message (something wrong message) pops up and the server does not run.
The server worked perfectly half a year ago and my IP is still the same. As much as I figured out, for the public name of the server the command in bzfs is not "-public" anymore but its "-publictitle"
So may somebody help me please? If you know what to do to get it in action please say it here!
To be or not to be. - W. Shakespeare
To bee or not to bee? I sure love Honee! - FangUp
Playing since 2005, with an unregistered nickname.
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: BZFlag server Run.

Post by SkillDude »

If you are still trying to run a server from 2.0.X to 2.4.X please make sure you know the changes between those two.

I updated http://wiki.bzflag.org/Public_Server about 2 weeks ago, so it is accurate for 2.4.0. Might want to read that thoroughly.

The obvious thing is that you now need a public key, which is described in that wiki article.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

FangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by FangUp »

I have the newest version (always did) i am sorry i forgot to mention it. That is not the problem in this case. Im sorry i did not saying all data info.
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

What blast is saying is read it so you do not ask any further questions about what is new or different from the old version. And since you said you figured out -public is now -publictitle, it means that you were unaware of the differences to begin with. So just make sure you read through it so you do not have to ask questions like this in the future.
FangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by FangUp »

ok i think i got it thx, i got a bit more things to do u know because im not running the server through this computer im using to connect on internet, but some other computer that is providing the Bridge atm. So it will be simple from now on cuz i think i know the thing. thx for the page btw.
FangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by FangUp »

Ahh i got it! Its the "-publickey" (randomly generated key) that i got from the website where i wrote down my IP! But 1 question...my IP changes every few weeks, will i have to get a new "key" at that time? Well i can get a static IP just need to make a phone call to my operator (do not know how to write in English: Internet, Phone, TV etc. providor.) So i get it static, get the key and it will work? that simple?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

you can get a host name from a service like dynadns that maps your IP to a host name and use that host name for your key.
ImageJeffM
FangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by FangUp »

Ah, i know how to register my dynamic IP into the "wording" name. But i think you have to pay a little to do it (: (could be wrong)
Anyways i am getting a Static IP tomorrow should be no problem.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

If you do not know the basics of networking then perhaps hosting a server is not for you.
ImageJeffM
FangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by FangUp »

I am only hosting it when i am online. If i can say "host" to that.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You don't need a static IP. If you get a hostname that points to your dynamic IP, you can instead get a public listing key assigned to your hostname instead of your IP. Then if your IP changes, you just update the hostname. For instance, I have 'bzexcess.com' pointing to my actual server's IP address. I don't have to get a new key if I switch to a different hosting provider since my domain would remain the same. There are hundreds of free dynamic DNS providers out there. You'd run a small application that would detect when your IP changes and automatically update your hostname's record.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

FangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by FangUp »

No, it seems you did not get me.
I COULD get a key now, when i am having a Dynamic IP but im getting a Static IP on Wednesday. I figured that out after the post was made. I think i can wait that long lol. when ill obtain the Static IP, than ill generate a key.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

My point was that you didn't have to spend extra money getting a static IP, but whatever. Spend money if you want.

FangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by FangUp »

i know what getting Static IP is free, getting letters and words is not (if you make you OWN) that is what I ment (:
blast
General
General

Post by blast »