Creating groups

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
The Noah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Creating groups

Post by The Noah »

is there any way to create a group without posting it?

The Noah
I've been working on a real-time stats site called BZList, please check it out! It is still in active development, so some features are missing and watch out for bugs.

GitHub · Website · Get in touch · Stalk Me
blast
General
General

Re: Creating groups

Post by blast »

Not global groups.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

The Noah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Noah »

is there a different type of group?

The Noah
I've been working on a real-time stats site called BZList, please check it out! It is still in active development, so some features are missing and watch out for bugs.

blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The groupdb file defines what permissions a group would get. The userdb defines, at the local server level, what groups a registered global user would be a member of, but it uses the player's name. The global groups are the global, centrally managed version of the userdb, except they use bzids (which don't change) instead of names (which can change). Both kinds of groups would still require that a server is published to the server list since they both operate on global users, which requires being on the list. A plugin could assign permissions as it's see fit based on any criteria, though, but I'm not sure any exist that are designed for offline/decentralized use.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

The Noah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Noah »

ok. if I get someone else to host it, do I automatically get a key?
also, when a server becomes public, does it automatically use global loggings? what I mean is:
when I test my server (private) it does not have my callsign as registered. if It becomes public, will it have my callsign as registered?

The Noah

blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The server key is for the one hosting the map. You could post your map on the forums (along with a mention of what open-source license you're applying to it) and someone might offer to host it, or you could just post screenshots and then work with someone in private.

Public servers are able to have player authenticate to them and will be able to use global group memberships.

Private servers do not ask our system if a name is registered, so they will show all users without any special symbol in front of their name (unless you provide the server password, which then gives you the @ symbol indicating you're an admin).

The Noah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Noah »

ok. I got someone to host my map!

Thanks for all your help!
The Noah