Server help

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Server help

Post by Zehra »

Hi all,

It's me once again.
I'm planning on starting a server soon, but need help on a few things.

1. Like how much RAM is needed to get BZFS to run and work well?
2. About how much upload speeds and download speeds are needed to run BZFS?
(Like how much is needed to run a Ducati map and how much extra bandwidth is needed for a map like Missile War III?)
3. How much CPU power will I need to run it?
(Like how much does CPU play into BZFS and what is the recommended and minimum amount of CPU power needed?)
4. How much storage do I need and what is recommended? (Like should I have 40 GB of storage or more or less?)
5. How much will settings like +j add to the amount of bandwidth needed for a server?
(I've heard options like this add extra bandwidth needed, but unsure of how much.)
6. How much bandwidth do I need to run a Ducati style server with 10 players per month? (Like having ten players for 1 hour each day for a month.)
7. How much bandwidth do I need to run a map like Missile War III or Urban Jungle? (Like having ten players for 1 hour each day for a month.)

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Server help

Post by JeffM »

1) not much, a couple megs
2) Depends on your player count, upload is more important than download, for 10 players you'll send out 9 packets for every 1 you get. this is why home connections generaly perform worse than professional ones.
3) Not much, the server is very dumb
4) how ever big the server and your map is, the game doesn't use disk space for anything while running. Your OS may for swap, but not the game.
5) some but not by a lot, jumping just means more updates more often.
6 & 7) the game style won't really affect it much. last estimates I heard were like 2-5k/s per player, but as you add more players it goes up because you send more data. Really it's about latency as opposed to bandwidth. you want a connection with a low ping. BZFS doesn't send THAT Much data, it's not like downloading a file.

Because of all the variables, it's hard to have simple "Rules" for what you need for hosting, but bzfs is not very inensive in it's resource use, it is just not tolerant of latency at all.
ImageJeffM
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Ty JeffM,

I'll know what to look for in VPS now.

-Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

VPSs don't always offer low latency, since they get put to sleep a lot, and share hardware with other VMs.
ImageJeffM
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

If VPS isn't the best solution, what would be recommended instead?

-Zehra

Latest 101 thread
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

OVH offers "game servers" starting at $90/month and regular dedicated servers from OVH and others start at around $70 to $80. If you're just wanting to mess around with a bzfs instance or two, though, I'd say a VPS from Linode or Digital Ocean is gonna be fine. Possibly go for a VPS that has more resources assigned to it (like, say, go for 2 or 4 core instead of 1 core) so that you know you're being allocated a larger chunk. And definitely go with Linux, if you were wondering what OS to pick. Debian 8 should be a good choice.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Ty Blast,

I'll probably start with VPS and see if I'll move on from there.

-Zehra

Latest 101 thread