timed match procedure

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
mathiaz
Private First Class
Private First Class

timed match procedure

Post by mathiaz »

Hi all,

I would like to know the procedure to run a timed match with :
- countdown
- time limit
- and number of player limited when match is running

I don t find nor on the forum nor in the wiki

Thanks
<°)))><|
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: timed match procedure

Post by Zehra »

I'm not sure if this helps, but here's some configurations I've used to start up a local server with countdown.

Localgroup.txt

Code: Select all

EVERYONE: +REPORT +TIMELIMIT +COUNTDOWN
VERIFIED:
LOCAL.ADMIN: +TIMELIMIT +ENDGAME
BZFS options

-groupdb Localgroup.txt -timemanual -loadplugin TimeLimit,15,20,30 -password myPassword  -p 5154 -world "PathToWorldFile.bzw"
Please note that the "pass to world file" option needs to be set to your operating system.
The options might vary a bit between operating systems, but this is the basic format which can be used for a timelimit based system.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'and number of player limited when match is running', but if it is to prevent people from joining when a match is running, there is the playerJoinHandler by Allejo.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

Adding on to Zehra's post, keep in mind that the use of -password is highly discouraged on public servers. The only other option that's needed is -time, which defines the default timed match duration.

-time 1800 # 30 minutes; value in seconds
mathiaz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mathiaz »

Bonjour,

Thanks countdown works.

Which command may i use to change the match time. I still have default time (-time 900).
I try /timelimit /time without success

Why -password is highly discouraged on public servers? Even if the server is occassionaly up, just for some match?

When i have time i will compil playerJoinHandler module.

Thanks for the answers
<°)))><|
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

We do include a readme file for each plugin, and the TimeLimit plugin's readme includes the commands.

https://github.com/BZFlag-Dev/bzflag/bl ... eLimit.txt

The -password option is insecure as there is no way to change a password on a live server and it's prone to being accidentally sent to chat (since an extra leading space or missing the forward slash on the command will instead send it to chat).
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Mathiaz,

You might want to consider using the "superUser" plug-in.
From the readme:

The superUser plugin lets a server owner grant permissions to globally
authenticated users based on BZID so they don't have to set up specific
admin groups in the global space.
It's much safer and is easier to use compare to /password. (No password guessing by others and no need to type in /password.)
I'm sorry if the '-passwd' option added any confusion, it is very strongly discouraged and should not be used for any globally authenticated server.
I only recommend the use global groups or the SuperUser plug-in for permissions on globally authenticated servers.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
mathiaz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mathiaz »

oki

I had to compile bzfs with options:

./configure --enable-shared --disable-client --enable-custom-plugins=playerJoinHandler,TimeLimit

and everything is working well.

Thanks
<°)))><|
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You don't need the --enable-shared option as that's the default. Also, TimeLimit is an included plugin, so you don't need to pass that one to --enable-custom-plugins. You only pass extra plugins to --enable-custom-plugins. The bundled ones are always built.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)