Need help with wings and mines

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
musculargenius
Private First Class
Private First Class

Need help with wings and mines

Post by musculargenius »

If you use the current set up at bzflag.networkspeedy.com it doesn't seem like wings work as they should. You only get one jump and then you don't stay in the air. I'm told this is something that can be changed from the server side but I am not sure. Any advice?

Something else that's been requested is the ability to turn the useless flag into a mine. what do I need to do in order to enable that behavior? I don't see it in the documentation anywhere, but after printing it out, I admit that there may be something I missed in the 20-something pages of stuff that I've read so far.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Need help with wings and mines

Post by Zehra »

There is a variable which controls the amount of times the wings flag can jump.(By default it is 1.)

Code: Select all

-set _wingsJumpCount 10
Can be used to set the amount of jumps to 10 on server start-up.
However, you can change this in game if you have the "set" permission.

Code: Select all

/set _wingsJumpCount 5
This will change the amount of jumps to 5 jumps.

The part of turning useless flags into mines is not a server setting, but it is done via a plug-in.
Originally created by Engima for 2.x as useless mines, it required the boost library as a dependency.
Enigma later created ProximityMines, an improved version of the useless mines as it had cleaner code, but still required the boost library.
Sigonasr2 later took the idea of useless mines and made a version for 2.4.x, with much simpler code and released it under public domain.
This can be found in this thread: UselessMine - Create Mines with the Useless Flag Once Again!
In the same thread, allejo also made a release of useless mines, but it written slightly differently, includes BD flag, but it requires BZFS 2.4.14 or above to work.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

Maps: Clayhills, urban jungle & apocalypse run allejo's version. His is the only one still maintained.
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

You would need to update your server to use allejo's version or to use an older version of his.
As a side note: I will likely update sigonasr2's plug-in in the coming months.

I also forgot to mention that if players don't stay in the air long with wings, you can reduce the wings gravity.
This will make them fall to the ground slower.(Don't set the value to positive though, it will cause an autokick of players with wings.)
The '_wingsGravity' variable is the one you will want to change if you want to make them fall to the ground slower.
(By default, this is set to the default gravity.)
Also if you wish to change how fast or slow or limit the jump with wings, you can change the _wingsJumpVelocity variable.
It too is normally set to the velocity of a jump without wings.
The last variable is the _wingsSlideTime and by default this is set to 0.
It tends to make players act as if there is lower friction, in my opinion.
If you adjust any of these variables, you will likely need to tinker with them a bit until you find a setting to your liking.
If any additional or extra information is needed on this, feel free to contact me by private message.

-Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

Zehra wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:43 pm As a side note: I will likely update sigonasr2's plug-in in the coming months.
Why.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

allejo wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:22 am
Zehra wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:43 pm As a side note: I will likely update sigonasr2's plug-in in the coming months.
Why.
I'll gain experience this way and it will help me in some of my projects which are planned in the future.
This may be a starting point for a few other plug-ins and games modes as well.

-Zehra

Latest 101 thread
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

Zehra wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:02 am I'll gain experience this way and it will help me in some of my projects which are planned in the future.
This may be a starting point for a few other plug-ins and games modes as well.
By all means, gain experience and practice. Just stop reviving old, unused, unmaintained plugins. You're doing people a disservice by cluttering the forum with obsolete plug-ins.

Anyhow, my apologies for getting off-topic. Since it seems that the original question was answered, let's leave it at that unless the OP has further questions :)
alfa1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alfa1 »

This page might not be so updated but it is rather useful anyway: https://wiki.bzflag.org/Server_Variables .