hard linking banfile for multi-server bans?

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
musculargenius
Private First Class
Private First Class

hard linking banfile for multi-server bans?

Post by musculargenius »

Could I create a single banfile and just hard link to it in other directories so that other bzfs servers see the same changes (because the hardlinks are pointing back to the original)? Or can you just use the same banfile for all servers without locking issues or race conditions? Thanks...
blast
General
General

Re: hard linking banfile for multi-server bans?

Post by blast »

You don't even need to hard link. You can use symlinks to a shared file. I believe when you ban/unban someone it reloads the banlist from disk prior to that. Additionally, the serverControl plugin can be used to automatically reload the ban file when the file changes, so a ban on one server will quickly show up on all servers.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

musculargenius
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by musculargenius »

Similar question: does reportfile get accessed using flock() ?? Safe IO or risk of truncate on race condition if two servers share the file and a /report is made simultaneously?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I'd keep report files separate so you know which server a report was filed on.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)