Help with private server

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Help with private server

Post by Ck_asdf »

I'm wondering... I want to run a local server that's not on the 'net. Recently I've used bzflag -solo # to get some bots so I can play offline (dialup, yay) as well as multiple open clients with autopilot, but the room has gotten quite boring, because it's the same auto-configured room every time. I was looking around in my bzflag directory, and I found bzfs, as well as the help doc that goes with it. But I still can't figure out how to set it up to work with localhost:5154. Any help with that?

Thanks, later...
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

Setting up a server takes a bit of learning, so don't feel bad about not getting it right off the bat. Have a good long read through http://bzflag.org/wiki Pay special attention to "Creating a Server" under the Admins section.

Basically, you're going to have to learn how to use whatever your Operating System uses for a command line interface to start bzfs. It also makes things easier if you make a configuration file to go with it.

Happy reading.
BinarySpike
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BinarySpike »

Depending on what OS you are on and stuff it's basically different...

I assume you use windows so I'll just say this.

A server run with bzfs will automatically run using localhost, 127.0.0.1 or your LAN IP (usually something like 192.168.1.1)...

You *must* open ports on your router and firewall if you use your WAN IP... (something like 255.103.18.23)

btw some helpful info, default bzflag port is 5154, 127.0.0.1 connects faster than localhost. you cannot use your keypad (on mac anyways) to type ip's in.

And if you have a fast computer there are a couple servers you can play on that have no lag warn... Thumpers Olympics for example.
(I have had bad lag lately... need to fix so I have been practacing at olympics for the time... I can do all three tracks pretty well :D)

Good luck!
(If you have mac PM me... I can show you how to setup everything)
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

Yeah, sorry, I forgot to mention...
WinXP Pro SP2

Whenever I try to run it with my edits, though, it doesn't work. I just thought of something and tried using only one option with bzfs in the command prompt, and it worked... so I went through and added one option at a time to see if it would work. Eventually, I found out which options worked and didn't work, for it seems that some don't want to work for me. When an option doesn't work, and I try to run the .bat file, all I get is a list of what commands I can use. I just looked at that, and the list there isn't exactly the same as provided in file:///C:/program%20files/BZFlag2.0.6/doc/bzfs.html
The HTML document says I can use "-trackplayhistory" but that's not mentioned in the list I get in cmd. Anyway, it's working now as it should.

After a while of messing around, I finally got the "-world" command working as it should. I had to put the world in the same directory as bzfs. But the world I downloaded doesn't look anything like what it looks like now after downloading it (l4m3r.bzw).

Oh, well... So why aren't some of the commands working?

Two other questions; can I modify the speed of the tank moving, and can I modify the reload time? Plus, in some rooms the "wings" flag actually lets people fly, while in others, it just lets people move freely about the air while they're still in the air. No amount of repetitive tabbing will keep the tank in the air in those rooms. But in Hideaway Hills, pressing and holding (or tapping) tab will allow flying higher.
My question is, how can I enable "real" flying with wings?

Thanks for the help... later, all.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

You really should read the documentation and read the wiki. Here are the server variables that you can modify: http://bzflag.org/wiki/ServerVariables . These control the things like _wingsJumpCount (driving vs flying) 1 is driving anything >1 allows that many wing flaps before needing to touch down.
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

Hahahaha, sweet! Thanks for that page... I've been having a lot of fun with it this evening, and I've finally gotten some stuff done, and my server is :cool:

At least to me... it'd probably be rather silly to other people, but that's aight. It's meant for me 'n my bots, anyway. :P

I've been doing a lot of testing (aka messing around), and I now have a .bat file so I don't have to have everything typed up in the command prompt. I have just about everything I wanted to do... one weird thing I noticed, though, is I tried changing various variables using the page you mentioned, but bzadmin kept telling me I didn't have privaledges to set anything. However, I could say "-set _variableName value" in my batch file, so I did it that way. But it would be cool if I could set this stuff realtime to check it out, so I don't have to edit the batch file, save it, restart the server... however, I suppose I'll live with it, at least for the moment.

It's pretty cool that I can change all of this stuff, and it was pretty funny when I set the gravity to -0.5; I went up 360 feet before coming down after jumping! Haha... and then I set it to 0.5 (zero is regular gravity it seems), and right away I started floating, because spawning brings you up from underground, so you're already starting to float, so it just... continues. :P

Is there a way to spawn with a flag already loaded? If so, it'd be cool to set the gravity as such and have wings, so it'd be all floating around, trying to kill everyone. Great fun, I'd think. :D

Hm... I can't wait for broadband... maybe I'll get my server online then. :D

question: do you think it'd be fairly good enough to host the server online (privately) so that me and a friend could play over the 'net? Just two people, I mean? Or do you think even with only two people it'd be too laggy?

Later, thanks again!
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

You would need a plugin to spawn with a flag, and there may be one written already. Use the search function on this these forums. Usually means you have to compile bzfllag from the source code though (again search here there are numerous threads about compiling from the source code). As for using /set in a game, you need to be an admin. On a server you use the /password <serverpasswordhere> command. You use the server password in your config or bat file. Just a word of warning to everyone who didn't know about the /password command... Using it on a public server that you do not own can be a banable offense (you have been warned :p)
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

I need to be an admin for "/set?" An administrator of the server I'm running, or just a straight-up administrator based on all of BZ? Sorry I'm not great with comprehension sometimes.
About compiling... I'm not great with programming... in fact, I don't know anything (except TI-BASIC, but that doesn't count - I don't think I can run BZ on my calculator, though that'd be awesome).
Plugin to spawn with a flag... okay, sounds good. Is there any really good source of information to read up about BZ plugins?

And by the way, I wanted to say that your avatar is HILARIOUS! I guess that little man should learn some anger management... little does he know that the anger he takes out on the ball is returned to him ten-fold. ;)

Reminds me of the first MIB when Will Smith Picks up the energy ball and throws it... it destroys half the lab. Haha...
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

There is no such thing as an Admin for all of BZFlag. Administrators are set by each server owner. There are many of us who admin on many, many servers.. but I am sure none of us are admins on ALL servers.

So you need to be an Admin on your server to use /set (in the servers default configuration) and the way to do that is with the /password command (again that is the easiest way on a private server). You can use local or global groups to set permissions for which groups of users can do what, but in your case that would be over kill. If you ever went public then groups become more important.

As far as compiling you do not necessarily need to know anything about programming, but it helps when you get errors. I could swear there were instructions on compiling bzfs from the source out here on the forums, but I can't seem to find them. Hopefully someone who compiles from source for windows can point you in the right direction there.

A good place to start for Plugins might be here: http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewforum.php?f=79

Concerning my avatar, thanks. :D When I saw it for the first time, I thought that is a perfect fit for me. Every little thing I do, seems to come back and get me in the end. :p I'm an IT mananger and you give someone one little thing and then the demands and unrealistic expectations start coming in like crazy. :D
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

I looked at the page you gave me about plugins, and that's pretty cool... I may try some out later. Hah, it's funny... the other day after you sent this and I read it, I'm like, okay cool. I left this page up, went away, came back, and glanced at it, knowing I had to do something else, though I couldn't remember what. Then in bed last night, it hit me - the plugin page! Haha... I'd forgotten to check it out. So I did that today. ^_^

Another question, while I'm at it... I downloaded the hide away hills world (a VERY cool place, I think), and most everything was like the online version - except the flags. At first, I just ran it as bzfs -world hills.bzw, but that gave no flags, so I ended up putting in flags myself. How could I duplicate the flag positions from that room? For example, in the "real" hills world, guided missiles can be found on top of the towers scattered throughout. The other flags are pretty random, but that's a constant.
Another question that may be the same as the one I asked above; how do I position flags where I want them? Specific ones - like putting GM on top of the towers?

Another, related to the last paragraph - are there any policies or whatever on downloading/saving worlds? I wanna make sure not to break any rules...
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

I am glad I could help. As far as the flag thing, unfotunatley saving the map from the client doesn't save the flag configuration, as the flag config is something only the server needs (the client doesn't use it so it is never sent to it). The only way to get the exact config would be to ask the server owner. You could approximate it, but that is beyond what I usually deal with or know, that is a map maker skill. Some of our map gurus could help there (XP.. anybody :p). I know it has to do with setting up flag zones, and you could search the forums for it (search button above) as lots of people have asked that question before.

As far as on a private server, you can download anyone's map and play on it privately. If you want to host a map publicly, then it is usually best to ask the map creator if you can host it. Most are happy to let you as long as you give them credit. You can find many good maps on these forums to use or at the Mapatorium (I think someone put that back up). I would recommend just about anyone here, but IMHO LouMan maps are about the best you can get (not sure many would argue with that either). But there are very many competent map makers here who will let you use their maps, and they are generally very happy to answer questions if you have the desire to make your own.
BinarySpike
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BinarySpike »

s far as on a private server, you can download anyone's map and play on it privately. If you want to host a map publicly, then it is usually best to ask the map creator if you can host it. Most are happy to let you as long as you give them credit.
I copyrighted all my private maps :-P (none of my public)

Legally you can use them without asking anyone if you didn't use /saveworld and it doesn't have a copyright licsence prohibiting that

if you use /saveworld then that is generated by bzfs and legally (i'm pretty sure) it's GPL'd so you can use it...

*not 100% sure on that last line*

./bzfs -help
That displays *all* the commands your specific server will handle.

Have fun! :D
*wishes his antenea would get a better connection so he could play on sane servers again*
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

Uh, here's a question - how come I can't use "-trackplayhistory?" I have the playHistoryTracker.dll file in the bz directory that I read someone else talking about. Whenever I try running the server with it added, it doesn't work. It just displays what options it can use, and that's not one of them. But the DLL is there...

What am I doing wrong? There's also a couple of other commands mentioned in ...\doc\bzfs.html that haven't worked for me.
The Knights Who Say Ni
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Knights Who Say Ni »

you need to use -plugin "path/to/plugin.dll" in your configuration first to actually load the plugin
Sig Made By AlliedArmour

TGPH
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

The Knights Who Say Ni wrote:you need to use -plugin "path/to/plugin.dll" in your configuration first to actually load the plugin
It's -loadplugin. So use:

Code: Select all

-loadplugin \path\to\playHistoryTracker.dll
Or for *nix:

Code: Select all

-loadplugin /path/to/playHistoryTracker.so
You can also use /loadplugin while the server is running.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

K, thanks much for your help. :)