Global logins on private server

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
rowrbazzle
Private First Class
Private First Class

Global logins on private server

Post by rowrbazzle »

I'm on Gentoo Linux, bzflag 2.0.8, and I can't seem to get global logins to work with bzfs. I've set up local groups for /register and that stuff works fine, but my global login won't get me into VERIFIED -- I have to use my local login. There are no error messages or anything. I would think I'm missing some command line switch, but I've read that it's supposed to just work, and the manpage doesn't say anything about it. I've tried it with and without the local group stuff; no difference. My global login does work on public servers.
pyr0
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pyr0 »

problem is that your locally registered on servers... you cant be if you want to be identified globally. unregister the nick on said server and then try with global again, should work fine. problem is, if i remember correctly, local register overrides global only because its local to said server
rowrbazzle
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rowrbazzle »

I've tried deregistering, and also just removing the groupdb, passdb and userdb options from my conf file. Either way it doesn't say anything about the global login.

Now I've noticed something... if I enter the wrong password into the client's login screen, it will say

Code: Select all

ERROR: Did not get token:
NOTOK: Invalid callsign or password
but the correct password produces neither a message nor authentication. The debug output mentions stuff about connecting to my.bzflag.org with my callsign and password.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

you want to have just a group db.

you also need to have your server be public for global auth to work ( the list server does the logins ).

you can use the -advertise option to have the server advertise to nobody.

then basicly your a public server that noone sees, aka private.

you don't want userdb or passdb, and you don't want to use /register or /identify.

just have a groupdb, and -advertise NOBODY in your config and that should work for ya.

and remember to have your fourm username for your callsign and your fourm password for your password.
ImageJeffM
BinarySpike
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BinarySpike »

rowrbazzle wrote:I've tried deregistering, and also just removing the groupdb, passdb and userdb options from my conf file. Either way it doesn't say anything about the global login.

Now I've noticed something... if I enter the wrong password into the client's login screen, it will say

Code: Select all

ERROR: Did not get token:
NOTOK: Invalid callsign or password
but the correct password produces neither a message nor authentication. The debug output mentions stuff about connecting to my.bzflag.org with my callsign and password.
Kinda OT, but I notice that sometimes I'll have the correct password in the password field and it will still complain, I have to remove it then re-type it. Another thing, don't connect localhost or 127.0.0.1

That have given me problems on public servers. Noticeably I don't get added as playing whenever the list server checks out my server stats.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

BinarySpike wrote:Another thing, don't connect localhost or 127.0.0.1

That have given me problems on public servers. Noticeably I don't get added as playing whenever the list server checks out my server stats.
He may have no choice. Depending on his router, he may not be able to play if he connects with the WAN IP.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
rowrbazzle
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rowrbazzle »

OK, it works now, after fixing some additional problems with the port forwarding. Thanks for the help. (localhost seems to work fine)

Here are some more details for those having similar problems:
To make the server "public", you have to use the -public "server description" option in your config file, also -publicaddr "yourdomain.com:port" if you're behind a router, as well as -advertise NONE as JeffM said.
You can still use a userdb file to add globally registered users to local groups; just don't use a local passdb. This is nice because you can define admins, restrict the server to your friends, or anything like that, based on global login.