Strange Behavior/Cheating

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
Sky King
Private First Class
Private First Class

Strange Behavior/Cheating

Post by Sky King »

A couple of questions:

1. Has there been a change in the way Geno works, either globally, or at least on Boxy? If there are more than say 7 or 8 players on a team, it is now quite common for at least one player to survive their team being genoed. I keep an eye on lag, and that doesn't seem to account for it. At first, I thought it was some kind of no-kill cheat, but now it happens to a lot of different people. I know others have noticed it too, it seems to be a recent phenomenon.

2. Another strange situation last night... A registered user, who I don't think was cheating--or at least was not intending to-- would at times be unkillable.

He was OO on boxy and could not be killed. He let me (and others) drive right up to him with SW while he was hidden in a wall and took all 4 or 5 SW shots. He was in a wall too narrow to fully conceal him, (the blue pyramid wall in front of the GM stand) so I tried using the gun and laser on part of his tank sticking out... no death. Everyone else there saw it, others also tried SWing him... Ultimately, both teams initiated ban polls and he left.

When he finally would die, he was easily killed when he was carrying Laser, CL, etc... so I don't think he was simply running a "no-kill" client. His lag was always under 200ms, with little in the way of jitter--and I suspect it would take some serious lag to outlast a SW hit at ground-zero.

I'm not certain he was intentionally cheating... I figure if a guy's gonna cheat, he won't make it obvious by surviving repeated direct SW hits... I am wondering if anyone's seen a bug like that, or if maybe he unknowingly had downloaded one of the "slightly mod'ed" clients that seem to lurk around.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

1. They aren't spawned, so they don't die...

2. Ive banned a feller before who seemed to be unkillable when he had OO, I guess its time for another ban....
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

Hmm... there has been a spike of cheating at BoxyWar lately. Keep your eyes open. Yesterday I banned someone who was picking up and dropping OO's on the Geno platform without falling through.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Boxy War's one sided-ness can sometimes give people the urge to cheat, but if they are caught cheating they are banned forever. Cheating is a no tolerance rule.

As for geno surviving, yes, that can be done with a cheat. And as for OO's not affecting them... I've never heard that one. I haven't seen either, personally, at Boxy War. But the "God-mode" cheat is very popular.

We try to do our best, but sometimes our best is still not good enough. But between all of the regular admins, it shouldn't be too hard to contact someone as it is happening (via IM, e-mail, etc) and have them banned.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
robster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by robster »

This is referring to TD-Linux

Well I sure don't get it. Team killers and laggers can't even get poll banned and even when an admin is around they usually just kick them with a warning and then I get banned permanently with no warning for something which I wouldn't consider cheating. Maybe lag helped slightly but all I was doing was holding down the drop flag key so that it dropped flags as soon as i picked them up. I only did it to get rid of the annoyin oo flags and it is not selective contrary to what others believe and it gets rid of geno as wel as oo. Sure if it is considered cheating by an admin then I'd stop doing it but I wasn't given that chance and I'm wondering why admins arent consistent in their course of actions like kick/warning then ban if continuous. I'm just asking for another chance as it's annoying to get banned permanently for a one off small thing while consistent team killers and flag carriers return the next day to start again.
Zelgadis
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zelgadis »

on my serve rhappens the same!

there was a unkillable guy, u cant kill him with laser or sw, but with normal bullets u can.

and he wasnt cheating i know him.

it was only lag!!!!

and i know that robster doesnt cheat!
Want to improve your skill? Join the http://guleague.org!
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

robster wrote:This is referring to TD-Linux

Well I sure don't get it. Team killers and laggers can't even get poll banned and even when an admin is around they usually just kick them with a warning and then I get banned permanently with no warning for something which I wouldn't consider cheating. Maybe lag helped slightly but all I was doing was holding down the drop flag key so that it dropped flags as soon as i picked them up. I only did it to get rid of the annoyin oo flags and it is not selective contrary to what others believe and it gets rid of geno as wel as oo. Sure if it is considered cheating by an admin then I'd stop doing it but I wasn't given that chance and I'm wondering why admins arent consistent in their course of actions like kick/warning then ban if continuous. I'm just asking for another chance as it's annoying to get banned permanently for a one off small thing while consistent team killers and flag carriers return the next day to start again.
It's because all the trouble makers decide that changing IPs and making the Boxy War admins (and being the owner of it myself) really really mad is fun.

And, we do have major cheating problems. If we see something that is sure-fire cheating (for instance, OO not affecting a person) they get banned. Because if we don't at the time we see it, they'll just come back to haunt us later.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
robster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by robster »

I understand but most of the time the player in question is unregistered with a name that has no meaning or is difficult to write (like dfhfhsdahaehdsfbgdzfhwr). I've been a registered player for more then a year and a regular at servers like boxy. The only thing bad I normally do is lag slightly because I am so far away from the server (NZ).

I get what your saying but if the person is registered and a well known legitimate player then at least give him/her the benefit of the doubt and warn them as sometimes they don't know they are cheating!
eagle
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by eagle »

ok let me clear some thinks up.

first of all TD, when someone grabs oo and doesn't go through it is because he is holding down the space bar and running through all the flags on the middle platform. i use this all the time to clear up the middle to find the geno.

and finally, yes there have been a lot of cheaters at boxy wars. i do my best (polls, getting admins, ect.) but polls never work and im not sure why so many people want to cheat. maybe one reason is they get mad at people for getting owned so many times, so they just tk all the time.
~~~~~
I do know everything, just not all at once. Its a virtual memory problem.
robster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by robster »

polls dont work to well at boxy as there has to be 7 players present and 4 voters. apathetic voters are a main problem with this as they just dont care or dont vote because the team killer is on the other team. their always there when u least want them to be
eagle
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by eagle »

robster
good point. another thing is like u said maybe is it usually looks like this:

5 in favour, 0 oppose, 16 abstain

its the people who dont vote who ruin it.
~~~~~
I do know everything, just not all at once. Its a virtual memory problem.