Where to find a good host?

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
macsforme
General
General

Where to find a good host?

Post by macsforme »

Hi all,

I'm curious as how server owners find a good place to host their bzflag servers. Naturally, I'm sure that some already have high-speed always-on connections worthy of hosting a server on, but I'm sure that the vast majority of us don't. Do you guys rent shared space? Find a business/school/person that will donate bandwidth? Is there some reasonably-priced/free place online that you guys host your servers on?

Gnurdux has been kind enough to let me run my Tunnels map on his personal computer, but with 10-15 players on regularly (over the last few days), I think I'm straining his bandwidth (I think it's only about 384k up). I'm trying to think of some other place to host my map.

Ideally, I'd want an ssh account and about 200MB of disk space (for the binaries, logs, configuration files, web interface, etc.). I'd need a port for the server and would want web access (I use an online log reader). I'd probably want at least a 1MB up/down connection. I could conceivably rent space/bandwidth where such services are provided online, but as a college student I wouldn't really be able to support that kind of thing (and even if I could, I don't know that the high price would be worth it just for a bzflag server).

Less-than-ideally, maybe I could just find someone to host my map on another port on their existing server or in their rotation. :wink:

I'm curious to hear how you guys do it. In the case that there's actually someone out there who would be willing to provide hosting for this server setup, I would, of course, be very happy to give them admin/owner privileges. :D I'm not expecting that, but I would be very happy to hear any suggestions for how I should pursue finding a place.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Some host on home connections (eg, FiOS - and if you're rich, a T1). Others rent a dedicated server or share on a dedicated server (such as I do [BZFX]).

The host I'm on can probably rent some space out. Don't quote me for sure, but I believe the owner has room. I can contact you tomorrow for more details (or have the owner contact you).

Anyways, the majority of full-time major servers are on dedicated connections. They run anywhere from $79-$199/month. You could even try to find a charitable someone with lots of spare bandwidth - you never know (it may be easier if you know the school IT guy personally or someone else with connections...).
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Zelgadis
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zelgadis »

im running a server on www.netdirect.de

i think there is a 2nd version with english, u can try it out.

i pay only 15 euros/month

Server1:

Pentium 733 Mhz
256 MB Ram
10GB HD
500GB Traffic

Price: 18 euro

Server2:
PIII 1000Mhz
512MB RAM
20GB HDD
1000GB Traffic

Price: 28 euro

Server3:

PIV 1.6GHz
512MB RAM
40GB HDD
2000GB Traffic
Ram upgrade (1 GB) +5 euro

Price: 45 euro

Server4:

PIV 2.4GHz
512MB RAM
80GB HDD
3000GB Traffic
Ram upgrade (1 GB) +5 euro

Price: 55 euro

I think u dont want it over 55 euros :D
Want to improve your skill? Join the http://guleague.org!
Zelgadis
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zelgadis »

im running the 1st server, and i have teamspeak, 7 BZflag Server and one homepage on it..

i think it will be enough, when u dont wanna do other things with it.

when u think that CPU isnt very strong, thats ok the bzflag server dont need much of Mhz... but it needs Ram.
Want to improve your skill? Join the http://guleague.org!