lightsaber flag

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
whispershadow
Private First Class
Private First Class
Location: I'm a figment of your imagination, where could I be but in your head?

lightsaber flag

Post by whispershadow »

how about a flag that has a beam shoot out of the front of the tank. It could go thru walls and would not bend like an mg flag but always go straight. it could be set to last for a certain amount of time, like a battery. There would be no purpose of the shoot command except maybe to turn it on and off. like if u shot with the flag the lightsaber would turn on and again it would go off. It would be pretty much like the starwars lightsaber.
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

Uhm, laser?
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

IIRC, the way the game is now, this would not be possible as a shot does not move with the tank.
Once it is fired, it continues in its path (GM the exception, but the firing tank's position has no impact on the GM once it has been fired) regardless of the location of the shooter.

As I read it, it would be like a lightsaber (hence the title, A Vicious Muffin)

Shoot once to turn it on, again to turn it off. It would have a 'battery life', the length of time you would be allowed to have it running. And a range, probably limited. As well as no Rico.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
Albino Blacksheep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Albino Blacksheep »

Uh, sorry to put you down, but that would be like having a "Blow up everyother tank that is playing except you" flag. It would be kind of a cheap flag
QuantumTim
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by QuantumTim »

Albino Blacksheep wrote:Uh, sorry to put you down, but that would be like having a "Blow up everyother tank that is playing except you" flag. It would be kind of a cheap flag
I think you have slightly misinterpreted this flag. It would be a kind of continual short range laser (except maybe the bit about going through walls) that allowed you to kill tanks a short distance in front of you. Other tanks would still easily be able to kill you from the sides, or from behind, or from long range.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

This can be done with laser if you modify laser's settings.

(Yes, I have done it)
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Albino Blacksheep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Albino Blacksheep »

ok, thanks to QuantumTims explinaation, it cleared it up. That actually wouldnt be so bad of a flag
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

Met, did you not have to mod the server at all? A large section of my reasoning behind the 'impossible' argument was that shots did not follow the tank.
this would not be possible as a shot does not move with the tank.
Once it is fired, it continues in its path (GM the exception, but the firing tank's position has no impact on the GM once it has been fired) regardless of the location of the shooter.
So unless you modded the server to allow such a thing, as well as adding shots for the flag (A continual laser fired over and over and over would eat shots like nothing else) I don't see how this is possible without a server and/or client mod.
ImageImage
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Hannibal wrote:Met, did you not have to mod the server at all? A large section of my reasoning behind the 'impossible' argument was that shots did not follow the tank.
this would not be possible as a shot does not move with the tank.
So unless you modded the server to allow such a thing, as well as adding shots for the flag (A continual laser fired over and over and over would eat shots like nothing else) I don't see how this is possible without a server and/or client mod.
I see he meant a continual shot now. No, I didn't do that, it would require a server/client mod.

But while fooling with laser settings, I made the laser go through all objects and walls (but otherwise it performed normally like a laser).
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

Ahh. All is good. But that laser..most interesting. Definitely interesting.
ImageImage
whispershadow
Private First Class
Private First Class
Location: I'm a figment of your imagination, where could I be but in your head?

Post by whispershadow »

my logic behind having it go thru walls would be to make it most like the lightsaber in starwars. It can cut thru any solid thing so it could potentially kill an oo since it could "cut" (go thru) the wall. Maybe it should even kill pz.

new idea: what if you could bounce shots off it?
I am officially a figment of everyone's imagination.
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

Why not just give the steamroller flag the ability to go through walls? And what would happen if you encountered another tank with that flag?
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

could this be anymore fanboyish?

just go play Jedi Knight or KOTOR man.

bzflag is meant to be simple.
ImageJeffM
biggeruniverse
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by biggeruniverse »

Wow, way to shoot 'em down! I bet they're all crying in their Skywalker breakfast cereal now!
JeffM2501 wrote:bzflag is meant to be simple.
Ok. There is an Occam's Razor for bzflag. Is it well-defined somewhere so that no one has to waste time coming up with "non-simple" ideas?
asciimonster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Lightsaber->Flamethrower

Post by asciimonster »

On the graphics field, I think bzf can use some more eyecandy. Currently, the weapons are either bullit-like, shockwave-like or laser-like, including this one. We need some more diversity.

If this flag works and checks out, just as a suggestion, you could change the saber into a flamethrower with dito special effects (and sounds). Just like the shield flag should be shown on the tank as a glow effect.

I know graphics doesn't effect the gameplay in any way, but it's the gravy on the mashed potatoes. And I like gravy!!! :wink:
too much loving
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by too much loving »

Light sabres are definitely cool, but we allready have shockwave or superbullet to kill people through walls.

If you want to deflect shots, then I would probably prefer the developers to code a buckler or something similar. The buckler is described here, but the developers didn't like it. (At the end of the day it's their decission.)
http://www.bzflag.com/wiki/FlagList

Anyway I just mention that the light saber has been proposed before. (For the sake of completeness)
[ 928560 ] New Flag: Light Sabre
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=353248
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

biggeruniverse
no it is not. This is one of Tim's weak points, bad documentation/communication. Basically the mantra is "bzflag is meant to be simple, easy to pick up, but difficult to master". This generally means no complex weapons or actions that would not be very intuitive. Also we try to make each flag stand out on it's own, as well as have an effective counter. From a base gameplay standpoint this isn't very different from a small radius shockwave, as it will do the same job ( kill near to you ). So why not just use shockwave.

asciimonster
new shot graphics will be an option in 2.2. ( as of 2.1.7 )

on an odd note, in 2.2 laser does look a lot like a lightsaber now, as shown here
http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=7641
:)
ImageJeffM
Ratatosk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: lightsaber flag

Post by Ratatosk »

whispershadow wrote:how about a flag that has a beam shoot out of the front of the tank. It could go thru walls and would not bend like an mg flag but always go straight. it could be set to last for a certain amount of time, like a battery. There would be no purpose of the shoot command except maybe to turn it on and off. like if u shot with the flag the lightsaber would turn on and again it would go off. It would be pretty much like the starwars lightsaber.
what is the goal of this flag (whats the point??)
Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

Enhance the game experience and assist in killing other tanks, as well as prevention of other tanks killing you. The point of everything in the game.
ImageImage
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

Hannibal wrote:Enhance the game experience and assist in killing other tanks, as well as prevention of other tanks killing you. The point of everything in the game.
In more simple words, to have fun
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
Ratatosk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ratatosk »

Hannibal wrote:Enhance the game experience and assist in killing other tanks, as well as prevention of other tanks killing you. The point of everything in the game.
how so?
Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

The object of the game is to kill other tanks, while not getting killed. Flags increase or decrease the likelihood of killing other tanks and/or getting killed.
ImageImage
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

yes, but if no one can kill you, one person will say, "this sux, lets go to <insert>" and everyone will leave. And they you'll get bored.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Firstly, it would be no more powerful than L, imho.
And more importantly, it's not going to happen.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

The only reason why this flag would be added is because there is "Saber" in it 8) .

Anyway I don't like the idea and laser would be better.