Flags in CTF

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Flags in CTF

Post by Davy Jones »

I know a lot of you like flags and all, but in a CTF, when flags are added, it tends to become more FFA like. Some exceptions are Viper and the two tanks But even then, most people are trying to get the highest score, not the most captured flags

Your thoughts?
Should we Have more no-flag CTF?
Should we have a plug-in that changes the scoring types for these maps?
Such as flags captured?
Last edited by Davy Jones on Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Should we have more than one sentence per line? What about less that than 4 questions per post?

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

Perhaps you should try to add to the discussion instead of bashing people on the head about how they write, if you want to redesign the paragraph, then go ahead. :| :| :|

Or maybe you could at least says if your for or against it.

I, personally am against it but there are some exceptions

I mean SW on a CTF map is just not right
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

To me, it would be less fun, more difficult, and just less appealing. However, I love pillbox, and that is a nice "no flag" ctf server. On The Two Castles? Two tanks? I thought it was called "Two Tanks Laser Sniping"
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

I

White

Space

!

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anomaly »

Never or Always seems a little limiting. I prefer no super flags in CTF. However, I can see where some carefully thought out and well placed flags might enhance gameplay. If the flags are balanced and maybe shot limited.
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

I had a copy of Overlord running on my test server when I was trying to the the blender tools debugged, it had no superflags, and when there was 4 or more players on it everyone concentrated on CTF, it was great to watch the teamwork that can be produced when people aren't hunting for laser or GM.
WarPig
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by WarPig »

yeah, i know what you mean! i am definitly guilty of tring to get higher score. mabey if there were no superflags, but i dont think CTF would be as popular without flags
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

well The two tanks is a CTF, believe it or not, with laser sniping implemented into it.

Yes, i meant to have more options, but the poll didn't Work out right, and i couldn't fix it :P
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the_j0k3r »

its true to a certain degree its nice to have no flag games that are free of flags. if thats the case, join one of the many leagues that most of them are like that

but in my opinion, servers like boxy war and stuff, the whole time people (mainly admins) were saying 'this is a ctf server, stop worrying about personal score and start capping! teamwork!'.
in my opinion (and i understand i am most likely to get slaughtered for it) people play servers how they like to play it.

take boxy for example, there were many complaints about how people played it too much as an ffa, but to be honest i dont see why that is much of a problem. i know it is called ctf, but i dont mind the fact that capping took a back seat. the oppurtunity was there for those who wanted it but even though it was a ctf, people played it as an ffa, and enjoyed playing it as an ffa. why else would it be so popular?

if you want no flag ctf just go and find the whole host of leagues available to you that offer many types of no flag ctf. or if you are looking for fun without leagues, there are often hix maps up in the listserver, overlord and babel with no flags and also pillbox (usually hepcat).

obviously i'm not saying its a bad idea to make more, but i just dont think that having superflags in a ctf necessarily is a bad thing.

thats my 2 cents (3 judging by the length of the post :P)

feel free to slaughter me for my terrible opinions, and bag me out for using geno at old boxy. ;)
CUPCAKE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CUPCAKE »

I personally try to capture the flag whenever possible, unless I have a good flag that I don't want to get rid of. But don't get rid of the flags, I think the games would be really weird without them. That's why I don't usually play game without flags.
Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

Boxy was a camping server at the beginning and I think the CTF part is to kill all the campers at the same time.

I think CTF is good with some flags like thief or high speed to help capping or prevent from capping. Some flags have nothing to do with CTF (that's my opinion) like burrow. So I'm for flags but not all of them.
RatOmeter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by RatOmeter »

I've found that different CTF maps sort of force me into certain strategies. Viper is a good example; it has a few superflags (and I'm happy whenever I get them), but I am usually am out there chasing either the other team's flag or fetching my own team's back to safety. Don't be surprised to see me there with a double-digit, negative score ;)

On the "laser sniping" type maps, I'm usually hiding back there somewhere trying to irritate the other team... often with a double-digit *positive* score.
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

Well, in 2.1, there are functions to modify score. So a plugin to determine score based on CTF and not kills is entirely possible. But how would we do it?
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

I think that it all depends upon the design of the map. A well designed map can make good use of superflags. Imagine Laser-Mania or Overlord without superflags. Both maps are made with them in mind. Both have excellent CTF play.

Compare that to a random Ducati style situation with a bunch of superflags. Doesn't work so well, does it?
CUPCAKE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CUPCAKE »

I think that a lot more people would try to capture other teams flag if it were like the genocide flag: You get a point for each person on the other team that blew up when you captured their flag. :)
WarPig
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by WarPig »

if the team flag was like geno when it was captured it would be a masive frenzy. there would be teamkillings due to people fighting over the flag!!
CUPCAKE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CUPCAKE »

I don't think it would go that far. It's not like people always teamkill to get the geno flag.
WarPig
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by WarPig »

i guess i was exagerating a bit :D
Joop
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joop »

I think we should get bonus points for whoever captures the flag.....i would like to see what would happen....

MASSIVE TEAM KILLERS..haha
COP@:
BOXY
VIPER
HEPCAT
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

I think that may be implemented using a plugin, although I'm not sure

If i ever learn how to make plug-ins, I'll make one :O
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
CUPCAKE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CUPCAKE »

Then I look forward to playing the map that you might someday put your plugin on.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

plug-ins on 2.0.x can not set the player scores.
ImageJeffM
Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

CUPCAKE wrote:I think that a lot more people would try to capture other teams flag if it were like the genocide flag: You get a point for each person on the other team that blew up when you captured their flag. :)
Did you ever play on the old Boxy wars Capture the bacon.

It was Blue vs Red but the two team flags were on a platform (around 5000 high if I remember well) and there was a purple flag in the middle. The two teams were fighting for the purple flag (bacon) and when you cap it kills both teams (so there isn't a team camping at bacon after each cap) but player who capped the flag get points for every enemy killed. I noticed that when my score went up to 80 in less than 10 minutes.
spldart
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by spldart »

It seems to me that the fact that all of one team blows at cap keeps the nature of the ctf map centered more around ctf than ffa... But I guess that varies between maps.
'Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope'

-Aristotle-