Canon 3.0: a review

General talk about the map making process.
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Canon 3.0: a review

Post by Grumbler »

Canon 3.0 by Spaceman Spiff.

This map is a staple on the turkey server. It is a very good ST/OO map. Dont expect to see spectacular views as with Gerbils Lair or Pyramid, this is a gameplay map. There are primarly three levels that game play exists on, although there are many, many in between tunnels, posts, and campsites. I have played this map several times, and find that tankers new to the map get frustrated rather quickly. To those new tankers, I would highly recommend going into the map in observer mode and drive around with someone who knows the map. It will be worth your while in the end. The extreme symmetry of the map makes learning the map pretty easy.

The good points about this map are the protected corner spawn sites, which are the primary spawn locations when the map is not busy(<10 tankers), the logical transporter system, and minimal campsites. As for spawn locations, it does not imply that you can drink a beer/soda while you decide which direction to head. You are afforded ample time to escape with a small box opening, and a quick jump, elevated platform. The transporters all make directional sense, if you drive through going north, you end up at the north gate. There are no hidden twist you brain transporters popping you somewhere alien. Several transporters reflect the shoots sent into them.(a favorite feature of mine) Once you get to know the map, GMers stand very little chance of camping and under good gameplay, they never seem to last more than 3-4 kills. The combination of size and levels, make a stationary target a dead target.

The map has many, many drop down points for ST tanks.(vultures that they are) My personal preference was a ledge one level down from the very top corners. The problem is that you have to go all the way to the top, transport over from one of the top side transporters, and then drop down. It takes forever. This might be the biggest knock against this map. It is so large, that you seem to be driving forever to get somewhere. A common phrase from my backseat drivers-"Are we there yet?"

This map is a little taxing on the graphics card, but nothing like Gerbils Lair.

Recap: very large map, excellent gameplay for the map knowledgable, excellent spawn protection(as good as you can get in a map), and a slight detraction on time taken from point A to point B.

this map is a solid 4.2 out of 5 on the KOBA scale.
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Hehe. Excellent description, Koba. :D I made the map extra big because there were usually 10-15 "veteran" level players on Turkey at the time.. and it made for some reallllllllllllllllly good hunting. :)

Thanks for the review. :)

P.S. If you like this one... you'll looooooove my next map. ;)
SGI
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SGI »

Where came from this alien :)
wonderful descriptions..........
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

gerbils lair gave me headaches!!
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
Legolas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas »

Speaking of the Turkey map,I have noticed there aren't a lot of flags anymore. KP,can you put more flags?