12%
No
88%

Total votes: 34

L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

Longhair, a good way to make the destinction is "gratis" as opposed to "libre". ;) both are spanish for "free", but the former refers to cost, and the latter refers to freedom.

Also, I've seen people in #bzflag use "free as in beer" and "free as in freedom" to make the intended meaning clear.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

@ Lamer:

Yeah, I had meant to get to the "gratis" vs. "libre" thing. Thanks for adding to it.
The Vaxorcist
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Vaxorcist »

Hmmm, selling bzflag might be a good way to popularize it. Appearing in stores everywhere.

Just spiff up the graphics and sell in a shrink wrapped box - people don't have to know it's free. What they don't know won't hurt them.
Where's Darwin when you need him?

Lagger@Everywhere
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

That would be breaking the GPL
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Davy Jones wrote:That would be breaking the GPL
It wouldn't be breaking the GPL, since the game isn't GPL. It is LGPL.

Here's a couple snippets from the LGPL license:
When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom of use, not price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for this service if you wish); that you receive source code or can get it if you want it; that you can change the software and use pieces of it in new free programs; and that you are informed that you can do these things.
You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee.
Source: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

It wouldn't be breaking the GPL, since the game isn't GPL. It is LGPL.
I dont know what that means but ok.... :shock:

I think BZ should stay the way it is, F2P. Im not sure what would happen if it did become P2P
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the_j0k3r »

if you are willing to foot the bill for packaging and getting stores to actually sell it then go ahead, but i think that bzflag is best keeping away from all money related things.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

the_j0k3r wrote:if you are willing to foot the bill for packaging and getting stores to actually sell it then go ahead, but i think that bzflag is best keeping away from all money related things.
Too right!! :D

BTW-Miss ya Joker! Been a long time :(
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I don't think you get it. The game wouldn't be sold in a box in a store. (It could be, but nobody would buy it :P) You would pay to play on certain servers that are of utmost quality. There would still be free servers to play on.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

eagle
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by eagle »

The p2p server sounds like a good idea. Maybe people would pay to play on a server and when they pay they become a member. That might eliminate cheaters who wouldn't want to waste money. The money earned could go to a faster connection or whatever.....sounds good to me. As long as the server owner doesn't charge outrageous prices then people might play. Of course the map would have to be good. :)
~~~~~
I do know everything, just not all at once. Its a virtual memory problem.
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

I guess the big question then, is:

What would make a server good enough to pay for the privilege of being on there?

The BZFlag experience as I know it is pretty much satisfying the way it is right now. If gratis servers are still around, how would a P2P server compete? What would they do better?
eagle
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by eagle »

Full time admins? new maps with some cool idea (that people will play for a long time)? no disruptions from spammers/cheaters? I don't know there might be some things I'm not thinking of. I guess that is one problem.
~~~~~
The Vaxorcist
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Vaxorcist »

Longhair wrote:I guess the big question then, is:

What would make a server good enough to pay for the privilege of being on there?

The BZFlag experience as I know it is pretty much satisfying the way it is right now. If gratis servers are still around, how would a P2P server compete? What would they do better?
Yeah. Charging would probably be complete suicide, considering how similar the servers are and how much they compete already. If someone was brilliant enough to charge, then they'd promptly fall from popularity like a GM that's about to teamkill.

I don't think anyone really disagrees on this. It's a bad idea, face it.

Lagger@Everywhere
eagle
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by eagle »

thats true....I don't think it would work, but it's a good idea if it would work. maybe a server owner could have people pay to (I don't know how well this would work ) get some privileges as long as they don't abuse them... lots of things would have to be worked out though.
~~~~~
The Vaxorcist
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Vaxorcist »

I'm don't think that there is a killer idea, but If you do come up with one, tell me about it. :P

Lagger@Everywhere