need good maps to run on server

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
gamercolin
Private First Class
Private First Class

need good maps to run on server

Post by gamercolin »

next week i am gonne set up a server's (3) and i need 3 GOOD maps to run on it my question is : who have good maps for me ? and i need admins for it
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

Well, for maps, you can check out the Map Releases board. There's bound to be something you like there.

And for admins... just get to know some people here, you'll figure out who you want and who you don't.

Just don't give it to the people who ask (and often beg) for it.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Generally, don't host just because you can. Host for a good reason, such as:
"I have a great connection and lots of unused bandwidth",
or "I think this is a great map but it's not hosted anywhere"...

:)

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

I agree With CBG, host it for a reason, and check the map realease and works in progress forum
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Davy Jones wrote:I agree With CBG, host it for a reason, and check the map realease and works in progress forum
Davy Jones, you don't need to restate everything that was said above, we can read it there. You really should read the forum FAQ's at:
http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=890 and
http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=891

SPECIFICALLY #10 on http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=890

Thank You
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

I have read them...i was just stating that i agree with him, And they didn't say the works in progress forum, some people need to see more support than just 1 post if they are going to abide by it.

and everyone should Specifically read them. 8)

You could also make your own maps
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

If you did read them explain to me how,
Davy Jones wrote:I agree With CBG, host it for a reason, and check the map realease and works in progress forum
added anything to this conversation. I think you make the assumption that you are smarter than everyone else and therefore you know better than them. If they read it once and don't take the advice, how is you standing there saying "Yah, what he said" going to help?
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Who's a pretty boy then?

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

I am sure, with 99% certainty that this server will go unused.

Almost 90% of servers are never used, with maybe a quarter of them being played on for a day or two when they first start up.

Also, as an addition to what tangent said, watch the people who you think will be an admin, as another callsign. Their behavior while trying to become a sadistic, retarded admin can be MUCH different then when playing normally...
(IE: Nice when trying to become one, retarded when they are one.)
Army of One
Private First Class
Private First Class

Maps for your server

Post by Army of One »

I have a map pack with some good maps in it just look for my post with them

I have a good colection for all styles FFA, CTF and RC enjoy
Some times you see me-some times you don't--and DESTRUCTION is only moments away
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

Win Xp wrote:I am sure, with 99% certainty that this server will go unused.

Almost 90% of servers are never used, with maybe a quarter of them being played on for a day or two when they first start up.

Also, as an addition to what tangent said, watch the people who you think will be an admin, as another callsign. Their behavior while trying to become a sadistic, retarded admin can be MUCH different then when playing normally...
(IE: Nice when trying to become one, retarded when they are one.)
And if anyone asks to be an admin, a ban is most certainly acceptable.

Just ask laserball2.
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

Win Xp wrote:I am sure, with 99% certainty that this server will go unused.

Almost 90% of servers are never used, with maybe a quarter of them being played on for a day or two when they first start up
Unless it has optimum playing conditions. IE: Not much lag, lots of players allowed, tough rules, and just nice "family" atmosphere where anyone could play. Not exactly like mofo, but more of a hepcat or badgerking's type of 'mode'. Oh yeah, the maps have to be good, and make sure that the owner lets you, and it isn't already being hosted. We don't need 50 servers with the same map...
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the_j0k3r »

on the assumption that we are not talking 3 home server that would have lots of lag, i would reccomend browsing through sourceforge as well, where i often find there are maps that are great but never got hosted.
try to find something original, as in we already have quite a few laser sniping servers etc..
jack
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jack »

TangenT wrote:Well, for maps, you can check out the Map Releases board. There's bound to be something you like there.

And for admins... just get to know some people here, you'll figure out who you want and who you don't.

Just don't give it to the people who ask (and often beg) for it.

if they beg they will ban people they dont like and not for cheating ext. that would make people hate your server. never give idiots admin or even cop privliges.
Now, an army is a team - it lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of crap. - Patton