Unable to connect to any server during the evening

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Killer123
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unable to connect to any server during the evening

Post by Killer123 »

Hello
From around the time of 5PM until 11PM I cannot connect to any BZFlag server, it just says "Trying to Connect" but nothing ever happens. I am still able to see the server list and browse the internet. My ISP is Pipex Homecall and I am using a NETGEAR DG834G Router connected through an ethernet cable. I have a 512kbps broadband connection, I am running Windows XP and BZFlag version 2.0.8.
Any ideas?
Thanks
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tw1sted »

It might be something with your router. I know BZFlag has had many weird problems with routers. try opening ports 00001 - 99999 for bzflag (all ports allowed)

(correct me if im wrong)
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

1. Yeah, opening ALL ports for no reason is great security...
2. Ports should not need to be open to play, Killer123 isn't trying to host here.
3. The problem only occurs at certain times of the day, so it's unlikely that his router is allowing him to play at one point but not another.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
GMMan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by GMMan »

Maybe it's something with your Internet connection. I remember someone having high lag or something before in the forums if you're using cable. Try calling your ISP.
I haven't touched BZFlag for years, but maybe sometime I'll make a comeback.

I'm on Twitter. And I mess with webOS. This signature is not a blog.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

There was no mention of lag in the original post, doesn't seem likely that calling the ISP would help.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

During the evening, Are you able to connect to an IP of the server?

I used to have this problem until i switched my ISP, the only get around was to ping the server hostname and typing in the IP manually, best of luck
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
Killer123
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Killer123 »

I have tried all of the above but still getting no luck.
Could it be anything to do with the ISP being heavily used at that time?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

yes it can. That is what is known as "prime time". if your on cable, or some other shared bandwidth system, then that is your peak load times and your network connection is probably flooded.

also check if there is any other computer on your home network that may be using a lot of bandwidth.
ImageJeffM
Killer123
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Killer123 »

I seem to have found out my lag is higher in the evening. Could this be the problem? Is there any way I can reduce my lag at this time?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the lag is probably from your ISP. if it is, there is nothing you can do to reduce your lag.

lag is simply the time it takes for a network packet to get from you to the server. if your network is congested then there are no "settings" or changes you can personally make to free up network bandwidth. Unless you are the cause of the network traffic. Then simply stop flooding out your connection :)

If there are other computers that share your connection, see what they are doing and if it's eating up your bandwith.
ImageJeffM
Killer123
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Killer123 »

I am only running one computer on my network while playing BZFlag so looks like there is nothing I can do. I am in the process of changing ISP so hopefully this should resolve the problem.
snick
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Unable to connect to any server during the evening

Post by snick »

Killer123 wrote:Hello
From around the time of 5PM until 11PM I cannot connect to any BZFlag server, it just says "Trying to Connect" but nothing ever happens. I am still able to see the server list and browse the internet. My ISP is Pipex Homecall and I am using a NETGEAR DG834G Router connected through an ethernet cable. I have a 512kbps broadband connection, I am running Windows XP and BZFlag version 2.0.8.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Given what you have written, it's very hard to know what the cause
could be. You might ask Pipex if they define 5pm-11pm as the peak
usage period and use traffic shaping/port blocking then.

Good luck,

Snick.