server config question

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
menotume
Major General
Major General

server config question

Post by menotume »

Can someone help me make sense of the -mp (max players) option? I am running a server on cable modem and want to limit the players to 3 red and 3 green with a total maximum of 8 players (rouges taking up the slack, up to 8). I tried:
-mp 8 -mp {,3,3,0,0}
but that shows up as 3 red, 3 green, 11 total in the server list. I've tried many combinations, but it just doesn't seem to make sense. Where did the 11 come from? I'm sure I'm overlooking something, and would appreciate any help here. TIA.
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Chestal »

I am not 100% sure (would have to look at the soruce, but I am lazy), but I think that the additional 3 players are observer slots. You can change the number of observer with the -mo option. It might be a good idea to display this in more detail in the server list, it hasn't been done yet because observers were introduced in a hackish way without breaking backward compatibility.
SGI
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SGI »

-mp {<total-count> 11 {rogue-count}5 , {red-count}3, {green-count}3, {blue-count} 0, {purple-count}0

-mo {observer}20000...........just kidding
the default value for observer is 3....

here you can find more about the server config
http://www.shellshock.dutchrai.com/references.htm
more for you
http://www.bzflag.org/wiki/ServerCommands

Youre welcome
Last edited by SGI on Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
menotume
Major General
Major General

Post by menotume »

That's it. I should have seen the trend of 3 over what I had expected. Thank you for the quick replies.