Documentation Project

Place all meeting requests / announcements here...
blast
General
General

Documentation Project

Post by blast »

I recall someone posting on the forum saying they wanted to start an unofficial documentation wiki for BZFlag. Was this ever started? The current bzflag.org wiki is not very helpful in this regard, not to mention I always forget my login for it. I was unable to locate the original thread on the forum discussing this idea, so it might have been pruned or just deleted during reorganization.

I think this would be a great idea for some of us to go through with. I would be willing to accept and review documentation that was submit to me, and compile it into a webpage. We could establish a list of topics that need to be defined, and I would also take suggestions for new topics as we go.

Here's just an idea of some of the rough topics we could cover.
  • Downloading, installation, compiling, CVS/SVN
  • Document and explain all menu items
  • Gameplay tips
  • Detailed troubleshooting and common issues
  • FAQ
We would also define the format of each item that we sent in so we could make it easier to properly merge later. The documentation could then be packaged along with the installer, package, or source, and left as website.

I guess I'm looking for further discussions on what our target should be. I suppose we could simply update the man files with this information, but I that might be outside the scope of those files.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

I don't see why any such documentation need be unofficial.
The purpose of a wiki is that all (if not most) users can contribute.
Besides, you suggest that docs be sent to you, so either way I think the docs should stay on bz.org.
Perhaps, though, the files can be available for download so that users can store them locally and even host them for those few times when bz.org is down or slow.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

CannonBallGuy wrote:I don't see why any such documentation need be unofficial.
The purpose of a wiki is that all (if not most) users can contribute.
Besides, you suggest that docs be sent to you, so either way I think the docs should stay on bz.org.
Perhaps, though, the files can be available for download so that users can store them locally and even host them for those few times when bz.org is down or slow.
Yes, I was wanting this one to be official (thus why I mentioned it shipping with the installer, packages, and source). I was just wondering if the unofficial docs were already started so they could be merged into this project.

We might be putting up a new wiki powered by MediaWiki on the bzflag list server, so this might be where the actual documentation can go. I'm just not sure how easy that would make it to export a nice looking document to be bundled with the previously stated methods.

I was originally thinking of just storing the documentation in CVS/SVN, and having either myself or a few others accept documentation.

I know there are quite a few fan sites that provide some form of documentation or tips for BZFlag, so it might be nice if we can all team up and generate one large group of documentation that is as complete as possible. It would make it easier for new players who have questions.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Great idea blast, and lets not forget about the map makers. There are lots of things to know about map making. I think that would be a good "area" to cover also. Many of the questions on map making in the map making forum seem to be repeats of the same questions asked before.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Count me in.
Topics that should be covered..:
Actually Playing
Navigating the Options
Registering Globally
Making a Map
Running a Server
Downloading/Installing from CVS/SVN
Crating Plugins

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

I'd like to help as well

Things That also need to be covered

Leagues-
FAQ about playing-
Techniques-
And others

to be continued...
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

If the docs could be kept up to date with changes in CVS, we could break off an "image" of the wiki for each version release and distribute it with the game.

Plugin docs would be nice to have in the wiki, also.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
The Vaxorcist
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Vaxorcist »

Great idea. This has been missing for a while.

Start it, and maybe I'll chip in a page or two.
Where's Darwin when you need him?

Lagger@Everywhere
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

There is a new BZFlag wiki online

Red Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Red Cobra »

Very very nice blast! Finally an easy to read wiki on how to do eveything. Thanks a lot.
Cop@R3lax
Trusted@Viper
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Blast does get credit for his contributions, but it is a group project. Many of the people from the IRC channels (#bzflag, and others) have been contributing to it.

Just so you are aware, the url will be changing slightly soon, when the rewrite rules are done. We will be officially announcing it and making references to it on the official BZFlag sites when that happens.
Red Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Red Cobra »

Sry bout that. Very good job to all the people who worked on this project. It's really helpful.
Cop@R3lax
Trusted@Viper
GMMan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by GMMan »

Hmmm.... I suppose that was me talking about that wiki. No, it never did. Was on this free wiki request but no one cared.
I haven't touched BZFlag for years, but maybe sometime I'll make a comeback.

I'm on Twitter. And I mess with webOS. This signature is not a blog.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

GMMan wrote:Hmmm.... I suppose that was me talking about that wiki. No, it never did. Was on this free wiki request but no one cared.
I'm confused. What are you trying to say here?