Split Chat

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Split Chat

Post by Grace F »

This may/may not've been discussed before, im hoping it hasnt as i havent seen any like this.

Is there anyway to splt private chat away from everything else?

Have messages you sent/recieved in a different box so it doesnt get all mixed up with everything else that is written in the chat box. This would come in handy for Admins especially.

Just a thought.
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

so two chat boxes? or a filter like thing? Try: SHIFT-F1 thru F4
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

I believe that F3 is the key for the Chat box.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

I think what Grace F means is a new tab(s) in the console where he could type in messages and automatically have them sent privately to a player.

Perhaps you could have the player able to create multiple tabs, each one with the ability set which player is being privately chatted with. One could just switch tabs to talk to one player and see what messages have been sent from that player alone.

Heh, thank you for catching my little mistake Grace.
Last edited by Triumph of the Soul on Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

A Distraction wrote:I think what he means
"he"?
A Distraction wrote:Perhaps you could have the player able to create multiple tabs, each one with the ability set which player is being privately chatted with. One could just switch tabs to talk to one player and see what messages have been sent from that player
That's is a good way to do it, have tab[s] i suppose. I dont want to filter anything, i want to keep everything, only i want "public chat, pm's, team msg's and admin msg's" all set apart from "X picked up Guided Missle - Y was killed by Z" etc.

Tabs could work, maybe it could flash once a message is recieved. I dont know how well that would work though. I only thought up this as a way to make Admining easier. I usually only admin in OB mode as its hard to reply to people, answer questions and play. Since on busy servers, whatever is said usually heads straight up in the chat box so keeping up to speed with peoples msg's is hard work.
Enigma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Enigma »

Grace F wrote:That's is a good way to do it, have tab[s] i suppose. I dont want to filter anything, i want to keep everything, only i want "public chat, pm's, team msg's and admin msg's" all set apart from "X picked up Guided Missle - Y was killed by Z" etc.
You can already do this...

shift+f1 -> shows everything.
shift+f2 -> shows only chat messages.
shift+f3 -> shows only server messages.
shift+f4 -> does something (might show misc.).
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Yea but wont they ONLY show "Chat Messages" or "Server Messages"?

I still want to keep all that stuff.
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

So your client would have:

The "out the window view" up top, the radar to the left side, a column immediately after that that has ONLY chat text. A THIRD column after that that has everything or the usual shift+f1-4 options.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Grace there has been some talk of being able to do what you want. Chat and server messages in the same window, and nothing else. Don't know if anyone is going to code it though. Basically it would allow you to set the filter on a per tab basis, for example you could select BOTH chat and server messages on a tab. If you have any programming skills you are more than welcome to take a stab at it and submit it as a patch. ;)
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

I have done this through modifying the source code, see:

http://www.storeitontheweb.com/uploads/de799a3092.png

I merged the Chat and Server tabs and placed this new tab where the Misc tab used to be.

I made this change around two months ago and really don't remember how.
Although, if I - someone with pretty much no C/C++ experience - could do it, anyone with any amount of programming experience can surely do it too.

I can probably provide the source too, if anyone is particularly interested but my modification was a total hack - I'd personally prefer to see someone more experienced code it up properly, perhaps including a menu option to change what each tab shows.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Nice CBG :)

I'm learning about C/C++ and all that stuff in my spare time. In hope that i'd be able to create things people need.
too much loving
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by too much loving »

CannonBallGuy wrote: I merged the Chat and Server tabs and placed this new tab where the Misc tab used to be.
It would be really cool to have something configurable. Personally I would like to have a tab containing: chat, lagstats, polls, my kills, other tanks killing me, any messages about teamflags, and perhaps teamkills within my team.

However this tab should not contain information about: Other tanks killing other tanks, any tank (including mine) grabbing and dropping white flags, any tank joining the game, nor any tank leaving the game.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

toomuchloving
Anything that specific would need a lot more work.
Currently, messages are marked as either "Chat", "Server" or "Misc".
The Server tab, for example, shows all messages marked for that tab, the Chat and Misc tabs work similarly and the All tab just shows all 3 message types.
To do anything like you're suggesting would require that all messages be given much more specific tags and then allow the user to set what message types each tab should display.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007