D-Day Invasion

Previews and comments on future maps.
Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

I got some ideas. Take them if you want.

-There could be 3 levels (water, beach, cliff) and slopes to pass from one to the other (dont forget to put the _noClimb 0 to be able to climb by your own).

-In the top bunkers and at the bottom before the first slope, there could be some pyramids to let you shoot with the perfect angle to be parallel with the ground (I know it might take some time to get it perfectly).

-For the machine gun turrets, you could use the same pyramids. The players would enter a box from the top and get a machine gun flag. A pluggin won't let them with the flag out of the box.

-It would nice to use Slayer++ mine pluggin, but don't put too many Useless flags.
http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t ... light=mine

-I'm out of ideas for the moment but I might come with some more during next days. Opinions welcome!

Saber
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

That Sounds really good. nice ideas.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Saber wrote:-In the top bunkers and at the bottom before the first slope, there could be some pyramids to let you shoot with the perfect angle to be parallel with the ground (I know it might take some time to get it perfectly).
I particuarly like this idea. Yes it would take much effort to perfect but it would be (in my opinion) very useful if implemented.
Saber wrote:-It would nice to use Slayer++ mine pluggin, but don't put too many Useless flags.
I would like to see mines in the server too. It would get fustrating though, your advancing to your enemies base, dodging enemy fire, sneeking in and out of the "X's", only to get blown up by a mine :P Unless you can see the mine 1 way or another. Maybe where the mine is, the ground above it is a bit dis-coloured.

Good Ideas Saber :D
Legolas_
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas_ »

CannonBallGuy wrote:A few points:
1. Objects cannot move in bzflag.
Pft. Use Drawinfos, yes they can cbg, its been done
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

Yes, it has been done, but:

You need an IQ of over 200

The objects cannot effect tanks, and end up being very complicated eye-candy.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Legolas_ wrote:
CannonBallGuy wrote:A few points:
1. Objects cannot move in bzflag.
Pft. Use Drawinfos, yes they can cbg, its been done
No, it hasn't because it's not possible.

<CBG> Can map objects move in bzflag?
<brlcad> nope

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

1) Objects CAN NOT MOVE and INTERACT in BZflag.
meaning you can not shoot them, or hit them.

2) The draw info code is undocumented, and somewhat incomplete. It is not a general animation system. It was made by trepan right before he left. It is not well supported, It requires specific versions of the client. and few people know how it works.

The moving object stuff you have seen has a very specific set of limits. If you wish to go down this road, be prepared to spend a lot of time looking at the source code to see what it all does.
ImageJeffM
maxwells silver hammer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by maxwells silver hammer »

in wwII a lot of the kind of uphill capture the base type of battles involved trenches dug into the ground that were flag. so you could have all the uphillness, but then dug into the ground is something like a system of trenches, ditches, and tunnels, which would have flat ground for a tank to drive on, and maybe some jump spots to get up. just throwing that out there. you know what i'm talking about if you've played one of the zillions of world war two video games.
blowing up tanks desensitizes me to violence
maxwells silver hammer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by maxwells silver hammer »

oh theres def moving visual stuff in bz. like fire and such on a lot of louman maps, or in graveyard or whatever it was called he had the ghosts drifting around. but as far as i know, you can't have interactable objects like boxes and pyramids and such move around.
blowing up tanks desensitizes me to violence
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

many of those are simple animated texture matrices on flat objects.
ImageJeffM
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by that exploding tank »

Has anybody seen Saving Private Ryan, where the soldiers hide behind cliffs and rocks to avoid an almost constant machine gun and grenade fire? That would be great if you could create a ww that would sweep back and forth across the map with MG from the "base." (and maybe throw in a random SW ww too). The MG would have unlimited range (within the world), and an instantaneous reload time.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

that exploding tank - That sounds like an awesome idea. IMO though, I think that's a little too much for a map that already looks like hell! :P

I have a suggestion though, im hoping it hasn't already come up.
-My suggestion is that when a base is breached, an Alert Siren will sound or something similar. Different to that when a flag is picked up, like a police car siren, or something totally different, like someone saying "Warning, Base is breached. All tanks to the area immediately!"

Anyhow, how is the map going to those who are making it?
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Work on "Normandy" has stalled.
I got bored making the cliff face over a week ago, but re-started work on it yesterday.

I'll post a sort of To-Do list here for all to see:

• Cliff Face - CBG's working on this.
• Obstructions on Beach - I believe Hannibal has been working on this.
• Axis Bunkers - Would anyone be able to create bunkers similar to those in L4m3r's Compound map?

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

Red Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Red Cobra »

So this is still going to be a climb-up-the-hill map?

May I make a suggestion?: maybe you could make it so the tanks drive actually on the water. You make it so the water is see-through so you can see the sea floor. On opposite side of the map from the land, on the water, I think you should make the base there. You could put ships and stuff on top of the water to make barriers for tanks to hide from getting shot at, just like at boxy war with the pyramids, except they're ships. You could make the sides of the ships flat so you could rico off them. Then you could make the beach a step up from the water.

The reason why I suggest this is because the slope seems like such a hassle. It doesn't seem that realistic to me having platforms under water. I think it would be cooler driving on top of the water, weeving in and out of ships.

Just a few suggestions.
Cop@R3lax
Trusted@Viper
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

OK, The map is back on track and (probably) nearly finished!

The basic structure of the map is all finished. The map goes up in steps of 1.5 unit up every 200 units. There is the under-water area, the beach area, and the grassy cliff-top area.

We have many features: Sign posts, driftwood, mines, bunkers, those cross things, trees and shrubs - you name it.

We've got lots of nice game-play features planned. Stay tuned - we should be set for a beta release very soon!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

w0w Awesome! :D I didn't expect it soo soon.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

I was trying to load it up last night for testing but bzfs refused to start.
I'll keep trying today - there's probably something up with the conf or map which I hope I can work out soon.
If we can get some testing done, the map will be released late tonight or tomorrow.

Merry Christmas!

Red Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Red Cobra »

Will the map be playible with the steps? It sounds like it would be hard to get to the top first of all and second to maneuver around on it.

Good work though.
Cop@R3lax
Trusted@Viper
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

The map is larger than usual and there are a a total of 4 steps. They are designed to give the allies a little advantage in that they can't be shot by axis forces on the level above. The disadvantage is that the allies are more easily killed when they jump up.
Solution? Kill the axis forces on the next level before you jump up. :)
We think we may have fixed the problem. I'd love to get the server out there this evening but I'm not making any promises.

Merry Christmas!

Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

Ugh! I will kill myself for not being able to remember the name of it, but I remember playing at a two team CTF map where the bases were cylindrical towers with rings of steps going up around them. The steps were small so you could actually climb the stairs! Maybe this same technique could be used for this map (unless it's too much trouble to go back and change it now).

P.S. Does anyone know the name of the map I described?

I believe the cliff should be taller and there should be platforms arranged in semi-random places on the cliff. As mentioned above, trenches would be a good idea. Maybe you could have a drive-through but not shoot-through cover for each trench. Having a block partial-cover in front of the opening of each bunker to direct axis shots downward would be a good idea, as was mentioned before, but pyramids should not be used.

P.S.S. I know this map has been officially released, but I still think there is something to be desired here. :)
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

That would totally defeat the purpose of the "steps".
They are there now to give allied forces some advantage reaching the axis base.

Also, the map has not been released. Nobody but myself and SpazzyMcGe have permission to host it. We are planning a few additions next week but are also hoping for suggestions here or through /report on the server.

Merry Christmas!

L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

Steps won't work well anyway, because they only work with standard boxes afaik. Not a good idea in a mesh map.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.