Brightness problem with ATI cards

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
a random tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Brightness problem with ATI cards

Post by a random tank »

Every time...and mark my words, I want to make this clear. EVERY TIME I run bzflagon a computer with an ATI video card, the screen is too dark. I always have to go into the display options and increase the brightness. Even if I exit the game and reload it, the screen is ALWAYS too dark.

I have tried multiple computers. I seems that only the ATI cards are affected by this brighness bug.

I have tried X300 onboard, X800XL AGP and Rage Pro. All these cards have the brighness problem.
I never have problems with nVidia cards i.e MX440, FX5200, or Intel onboard graphics.

What is being done about this bug? :?:
Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

I got the same problem with my ATI Radeon X1300. I've stopped fixing the brightness because it became a waste of time and I keep playing with my dark screen but it would be nice to fix it.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

sounds more like an issue with the ATI video drivers, then it does a bug with the bzflag code.

As you state cards that use other drivers work fine.

There is no ATI specific code in bzflag, we simply ask openGL to set the gamma.

I would check and make sure you have the current drivers from ATI, and if so, report the problem to them.
ImageJeffM
a random tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by a random tank »

How do you play with a pitch black screen?
a random tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by a random tank »

As I recall, ATI has openGL problems. I think they don't support the latest version?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

bzflag only uses open GL 1.1, it is nowhere near the latest version.

have you verified that you have the current drivers from ATI for your card and OS?
ImageJeffM
lodxcol
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lodxcol »

My MacBook uses an Intel GMA 950 card, and I have the same issue. Though adjusting the brightness does not solve my issue, I have to open a second client, and then close it. Only then does my brightness return to normal.
a random tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by a random tank »

I always use the latest drivers. The problem happens on both XP and SuSE 10.2, same computer (dual boot).
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

then it would be a bug in the core ATI code. The drivers do share code between OSs.

I would report this to ATI with as much info as you can, our game is free so they can download it to evaluate the problem.

I went over the gamma code last night and didn't see anything that isn't to the openGL spec.
ImageJeffM
Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

Sometimes, BZFlag crashes and my screen gets very bright, like it is supposed to be but I can't control the crashes and the brightness stays on my desktop when I'm done playing.
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

Saber

Here is a link to a dead thread that may help solve your problem, even if I couldn't solve mine. :)
Last edited by Triumph of the Soul on Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
a random tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by a random tank »

Saber wrote:Sometimes, BZFlag crashes and my screen gets very bright, like it is supposed to be but I can't control the crashes and the brightness stays on my desktop when I'm done playing.
Wow. that happens to me too. I forgot about that one.