Standalone BZflag

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
hlfmnhlfamazing
Private First Class
Private First Class

Standalone BZflag

Post by hlfmnhlfamazing »

Here's what I mean. Have a very easy way for maps to be downloadable(if said owners of such maps don't have a problem with it of course) via the bzflag client and be able to choose the amount of bots in them, for practice purposes.

Or even better, have BZflag configurable so that you can have multiplayer, split screen, multimonitor support and so on so if a bunch of your friends come over you can have a private BZflag session that wouldn't require an internet connection. Just hook up a bunch of USB controllers to your computer(usb hub not included) and kick each other's a**es.

Maybe have a downloadable package from sourceforge that contains 10 or so maps for just this purpose if you plan on using BZflag in this fashion.
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by that exploding tank »

If you want to play with just your friends, you can download a map from any server and start your own private server.

To download the map: Connect to the server, push esc, options, save world.

To start a private server:http://my.bzflag.org/w/Creating_A_Server
hlfmnhlfamazing
Private First Class
Private First Class

Alright, so some of what I posted BZ can already do.

As far as multiplayer goes, I was thinking along the lines of how a console game would operate.
BinarySpike
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Standalone BZflag

Post by BinarySpike »

hlfmnhlfamazing wrote:Here's what I mean. Have a very easy way for maps to be downloadable(if said owners of such maps don't have a problem with it of course) via the bzflag client and be able to choose the amount of bots in them, for practice purposes.

Or even better, have BZflag configurable so that you can have multiplayer, split screen, multimonitor support and so on so if a bunch of your friends come over you can have a private BZflag session that wouldn't require an internet connection. Just hook up a bunch of USB controllers to your computer(usb hub not included) and kick each other's a**es.

Maybe have a downloadable package from sourceforge that contains 10 or so maps for just this purpose if you plan on using BZflag in this fashion.
Everything here is possible, except more than one player on a computer. Just get 7 computers like me that can run bzflag at, at least 25fps, and then you can kick tail, and you can't see each others screen

As for downloading maps, /saveworld NameOfMap.bzw
or just checkout the maps on sourceforge.

And about multikeyboard/mouse support over a USB Hub.... I am not even sure that's possible on windows or mac but I could be wrong...
Legolas_
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas_ »

You can also dowload the map as an obj file and edit it in wings or blender.

Code: Select all

/saveworld -o NameOfMap.obj
hlfmnhlfamazing
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Standalone BZflag

BinarySpike wrote:Everything here is possible, except more than one player on a computer. Just get 7 computers like me that can run bzflag at, at least 25fps, and then you can kick tail, and you can't see each others screen
LOL, I only own one computer. Having 7 of them would get pretty expensive. 7 monitors, 7 sets of kb/mice, and if you wish to use gamepads there's still that expense. Networking expense.....

Hey......... Can I get a few bucks? :-D
BinarySpike wrote:As for downloading maps, /saveworld NameOfMap.bzw
or just checkout the maps on sourceforge.

And about multikeyboard/mouse support over a USB Hub.... I am not even sure that's possible on windows or mac but I could be wrong...
I can't speak for windows/mac but I'm pretty sure it can be done on linux. I've seen kiosks setup before with multiple keyboards/mice using only one computer. Might've been proprietary software though, I'm not sure. Besides, I was thinking along the lines of gamepads, not KB/mice combos. But if that's how you wish to play....... uhh, sure. Make it so.

Multiple USB gamepads to my knowledge is doable fairly easily on windows, and I can't see why it wouldn't be also on Macs. Plus, USB gaming keypads are cheap. So are USB hubs. And if you've already got a computer fast enough to run BZflag, then having a split screen setup would theoretically be doable from a hardware standpoint.

It might be difficult to develop, but from an end user standpoint having an all-enclosed BZ-frag-box would be an awesome addition to any party. Just fire up the app, download a map, setup the controllers, then start talking crap to the guy next to you. :-P