BZFlag merger with WarZone (WZFlag)

News and info about current and upcoming releases of the game client and server.
Grans Remedy
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZFlag merger with WarZone (WZFlag)

Post by Grans Remedy »

I guess it may be a bit early for questions about the merger with WarZone...

Can someone give us an idea of the game changes with the merger? For example I understand that in WarZone buildings are created and can be destroyed - is the intent to add this to current game types? EG instead of capturing the enemy flag do we destroy their base? What happens to FFA and Rabbit Chase game types.

Is anyone here a regular WarZone player - and like to share their thoughts?

Grans
No coffee, no workee
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

This is totally great news! The old BZFlag-concept got a bit boring after some time, so its good to hear we finally break with the old principles and rules. 2.0.8 is pretty much perfect when it comes to BZFlag and I can imagine it will co-exist with the new WZFlag (wow, I have to get used to that new name :shock: ). So people can always choose if the wanna play the new game or the old BZFlag.

Totally amazing that you could agree to merge the two projects and put finally some fresh air into the old BZ. Congrats, great job! I am very excited! In case you need artwork (the current bzflag.org-header looks a bit beta) just drop me a message! :)
Links 2004
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Links 2004 »

how to get the CVS or a alfa or beta i will test the new gameplay.
PS: i can host a server.
Clan: Links
Clan web: http://links-clan.net
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the_j0k3r »

This is a great direction for BZFlag to go!
WZFlag will allow for lots of expansion graphics-wise, and gameplay wise.

for anyone looking to know what we are talking about, check out the new and improved www.bzflag.org
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

I must admit, I had an inkling this would be announced soon as I overheard some discussions about it on IRC.
I believe the plan is to just improve gameplay for the players of both games.
By merging the games, everyone has much more fun.
Personally, I can't wait.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Red Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Red Cobra »

I hate to say it gyes, but come on, do you really believe they are merging the two? Do you know how much code they have too write to do that? That would probably take a year. And what are the chances of them announcing it on April 1st? Games just don't merge like that.
Cop@R3lax
Trusted@Viper
Legolas_
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas_ »

Cobra, have you ever talked to the bzflg developers? These guys are nuts. They sleep, eat, and breath code. I doubt they leave their computers for more than 1 hour at a time. I cant believe you doubt these guys who work so hard for you to have fun. Besides as far as i know, Gran isnt a bzflag developer, so why would she introduce it? She didnt, thats right. She asked a question about it, happened to post it today.
Red Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Red Cobra »

Legolas_ wrote:Cobra, have you ever talked to the bzflg developers? These guys are nuts. They sleep, eat, and breath code. I doubt they leave their computers for more than 1 hour at a time. I cant believe you doubt these guys who work so hard for you to have fun. Besides as far as i know, Gran isnt a bzflag developer, so why would she introduce it? She didnt, thats right. She asked a question about it, happened to post it today.
Sry Lego. But, how come the new releases aren't being cranked out faster? How come in the new release there aren't that big of things changed? For some reason my computer won't let me go to www.bzflag.org, is it redisigned? I thought Gran was talking about how bzflag.org was changed around. Since I cant see it I don't know if it's true or not. Sry.
Cop@R3lax
Trusted@Viper
anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anomaly »

Red Cobra, take a look at the warzone site, they have announced the merger too. If its an April fools joke, everyone is in on it but us. lol.
Red Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Red Cobra »

anomaly wrote:Red Cobra, take a look at the warzone site, they have announced the merger too. If its an April fools joke, everyone is in on it but us. lol.
lol. By the way what's warzone's website. I'm sorry to say, i've never heard of the game. :D
Cop@R3lax
Trusted@Viper
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

~lart the developers

Don't make it that obvious next year, ok?

...but rely on the stable networking code of BZFlag
I rofled.
Red Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Red Cobra »

Win Xp wrote: Don't make it that obvious next year, ok?
So this is a joke? I'm confused! :(
Cop@R3lax
Trusted@Viper
Legolas_
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas_ »

No its not a joke.. Win is messing around with you..

Anyway, yes, bzflag.org is redesigned. It looks cool.
Attachments
Picture 2.png
(210.82 KiB) Downloaded 511 times
Red Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Red Cobra »

That is sweet! I can't wait! How come this isn't all over the boards? This is a major change and I meen major. Thanks lego for the screenie.
Cop@R3lax
Trusted@Viper
Red Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Red Cobra »

Are we going to be able to create maps? I've never played War Zone before. Is there going to be a list server, etc?
Cop@R3lax
Trusted@Viper
Legolas_
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas_ »

I beleive so, look at the radar in these pics

http://wz2100.net/wzflagscreenshots.html
Red Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Red Cobra »

From what I see, the gameplay doens't look that easy or frun. It looks gloomy and there isn't anything to jump on. The graphics to me don't look that good. :( I guess i'll have to stick with BZFlag. Also what's going to happen to the 2.1.11 release?
Cop@R3lax
Trusted@Viper
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

Alas, version 2.0.8 will be the last release of to retain the name "BZFlag" but we think you will love what is in store
papercut
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by papercut »

Hate to be a stick in the mud, but I'll be sticking with 2.0.x for a while.

It looks like a fun game, though. Pretty interesting.
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

Just to answer a few questions here:

Yes, it really is happening. The announcement was a bit premature, but the Warzone people wanted to have it coincide with their 2.0.6 release.

Gran, as far as game types, we have a bit of design work left to do. Siege, Team FFA, and FFA are the styles we have working right now, but we're looking at new ways to integrate the other styles.

Links, the code is not yet available. There are a few licensing issues that we have to work out before we can publish the code; WZ is GPL and we're LGPL, so we're looking through the BZFlag codebase to make sure we haven't picked up any GPL-incompatible code. As it stands now it's not really very stable either, there are some GL state problems and so forth.

Cobra, it will be a bit more difficult to pick up, and the controls are a bit more complex. We're trying to set it up so that you won't necessarily need to use the advanced features, to be more newbie-friendly. However, I can assure you that it is DEFINITELY fun. Lots and lots of fun.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

As mentioned on the site, and elsewhere, there are still many bugs in the game.

This could be a result of the radar not being properly refreshed. Or the boxes could simply be invisible.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the boxes represent the area of attack of many units, but, at that point we didn't have them clipped to the terrain right, so they just did the max bbox for the unit. It was all jacked up.

I really have to rewrite that when I get home..

I told them it was too soon.... but who listens to me :(
Last edited by JeffM on Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageJeffM
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

Thanks devs. This looks to be a great game, can't wait until its fully stable. Unfortunately, I'd like to see 2.2 or even just a 2.1 beta build thats pretty stable, but I guess this will have to do.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

It was decided that we didn't have enough devs to do a real 2.2 first, and it would be too confusing with the Summer Of Code, so we'll be putting all effort into this.
ImageJeffM
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

they have two devs, what difference would it make? they don't even actively produce code! In my humble opinion, 2.2 would be the way to go. maybe you could split it into tow projects, bzflag and wzflag for those of us who enjoy bzflag and would like it to be improved, but not merged.