Silvercat is Retired

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Silvercat is Retired

Post by SilverFox »

http://silvercat.bzflag.org/

Silvercat will be shut down in the very near future. We had some server down time, I haven't had much time to invest lately, and Dracos would like to repurpose the server.

If you love silvercat, log in and enjoy one last spin. If you were an owner and would like to back up some of the server configs, go for it, but do it quick because it'll be scrubbed at any moment.

If you've enjoyed the server, which involved a great deal of man hours to make it what it was, make sure to thank one of its cops/admins:

Trusted ADMINS:
birdie
Dracos
JB DiGriz
jomojo
learner
menotume
orange
Pimpinella
SilverFox
trepan

ADMINS:
A Meteorite
AlohaEh!
brad2901
CannonBallGuy
colorado3855
Constitution
ducatiwannabe
dunadan
freelancer
High Karate Kitty
kc9foh
Kooseefoo
Longhair
Manu
orbit
quantum dot
Red Baron2
SportChick
spud - an anarchist
TD-Linux
The Red Baron
Thonolan
tokimi
ts
Yojimbo

COPS:
(Un)Guided Missile
14All
AlexanderTheGreat
Astro Boy
Blue Eyes
boofhead
eq
G5 Serenity Again
Genosse Dark Lord
Grans Remedy
Head
Lan
Legolas_
mistake
P Death Spiral
Rex
romfis
Slayer++
Solarisis
spamsilly
SpitFire
strayer
Teppic
titmouse
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

On the behalf of all BZ players, thank you.

You've provided countless hours of fun and entertainment to everyone, all out of your own pocket (right?).

Thank you, for high scores, low scores, and flag capping festivals. I myself played many a late night there, shooting and getting shot. Silvercat represents what is good about open-source games like this, friendly people playing for a common goal: to have fun.

Silvercat took over for Hepcat, now its someone else's turn to host those classic maps that just about everyone should (and many have, many more will) play and learn the intricacies of.

Again, thank you Silverfox. Your contribution to this game shall not be forgotten.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

I'm sorry to see such a great server go. Thanks to everyone who took part in maintaining and running the server, my fellow admins, cops and of course silverfox, dracos, etc.

I had a lot of fun there, and for that reason I am now hosting Babel, Overlord (CTF and FFA) and Pillbox.
Check out cbg.bzflag.org ports 4701-4704 - please let me know if I got any of the server settings wrong, it's been a while... :)

Thanks once again silverfox.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

:(

Babel was one of the first maps I played. So many cherised memories :)
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

Goodbye and farewell to one of the greatest servers I have seen since I started playing BZFlag. Silvercat was such a great stressbuster for me, everyone was so friendly. I want to thank the admins and cops for encouraging such behavior.

Overlord is also one of my favorite maps, and Silvercat was always the best place to play that.

Maybe one day, Silvercat will be ressurected. I certainly hope so. :)
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

Thanks for all the good times, and all the good promotion of BZFlag that Silvercat has done!
deafboy3
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by deafboy3 »

Wow! Sad news as I learned to play on Silvercat. I found many new friends and learned (humbly) from many of the admins what BzFlag was all about. Big Thanks to Silverfox for all of the hard work he has done. My favorite BZ memories are from Babel and Overlord.

The server will be missed, but there are many great servers for us all to live on. Thanks to all the Admins and Cops for their patience with the rest of us.

Deafboy3
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Sad news! Like many others here, I learned to play on Silvercat, and have enjoyed many hours of fun over the last few years. Many thanks to all who made it happen. I will never forget how much fun I've had on Silvercat.
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

I used to play on this map as an unregistered player, and I loved it.

I still do now, though am unhappy to see it's popularity diminish and finnaly dissapate. Although it is gone, I'm sure no one will forget this classic map that was one of the ones that started it all. Thanks all who made this map possible. :)
Grans Remedy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Grans Remedy »

I would like to add my voice to the growing chorus, and say thanks Silverfox.

I enjoyed being a cop there.

Part of its success, I think, was your vision of an "elite server" with clear standards of behaviour for both players and cops. Idiots were dealt with quickly and consistently, and usually did not get a chance to spoil a game. Yet is was still "newbie friendly" and many cops (myself included) found themselves spending more time helping others with playing techniques rather than warning/kicking/banning.

Yes it will be missed, but not quickly forgotten.

cheers
Grans
No coffee, no workee
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

CannonBallGuy wrote:I'm sorry to see such a great server go. Thanks to everyone who took part in maintaining and running the server, my fellow admins, cops and of course silverfox, dracos, etc.

I had a lot of fun there, and for that reason I am now hosting Babel, Overlord (CTF and FFA) and Pillbox.
Check out cbg.bzflag.org ports 4701-4704 - please let me know if I got any of the server settings wrong, it's been a while... :)

The old server had almost NO lag for me, what country will you be hosting this from...(just curiousity)
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tropican8 »

Davy Jones wrote:
CannonBallGuy wrote:I'm sorry to see such a great server go. Thanks to everyone who took part in maintaining and running the server, my fellow admins, cops and of course silverfox, dracos, etc.

The old server had almost NO lag for me, what country will you be hosting this from...(just curiousity)
USA
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

Good, as I would not like it to be hosted in Europe or elsewhere, since I'd have bad lag. Sorry foreigners. :) I guess someone else would probably put up a European version of silvercat.
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

CannonBallGuy
seeing as Darth can't seem to keep his yap shut and his language clean, i don't think this will be a very popular server...
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

CannonBallGuy wrote:I had a lot of fun there, and for that reason I am now hosting Babel, Overlord (CTF and FFA) and Pillbox.
CBG, thank you for your efforts in setting this up... but let's not forget that Silvercat was more than a couple of great maps... it was a bunch of great people putting a ton of effort into creating a great server. The Silvercat rules, admin's willingness to help players out, etc. were some of the things that made Silvercat what it was.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

me1 wrote:CannonBallGuy
seeing as Darth can't seem to keep his yap shut and his language clean, i don't think this will be a very popular server...
Sure, because there are never any mofo servers high on the server list...
It's a moot point anyway - you'll soon see.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

i didn't phrase that correctly, not popular to the same people as it was before.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

You think we can't run a map with universal appeal on the MoFo servers?
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tropican8 »

me1 wrote:i didn't phrase that correctly, not popular to the same people as it was before.
CannonBallGuy wrote:It's a moot point anyway - you'll soon see.
Sad I actually have to do that...
Benji
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Benji »

I liked all the silvercat maps and the way the server was run. Now two really good servers will be gone:-(, Constitution's tunnels and Silvercat. Thanks SilverFox for a great server!
kc9foh
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by kc9foh »

WOW........Speechless! I just found out from longhair just a day or two ago! Silvercat will be missed. I would say it is where I first learned to play. I am not sure since I am old and losing my memory. :D . It has been a long friendship and I loved pillbox (not the player :lol-old: ) map. It was probably the best map for bzflag! Well I hope to see you out there still playing silverfox! and thanks for the great parties with free beer and all those wild women! 8) !
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

kc9foh wrote:WOW.Speechless! I just found out from longhair just a day or two ago! Silvercat will be missed. I would say it is where I first learned to play. I am not sure since I am old and losing my memory. :D . It has been a long friendship and I loved pillbox (not the player :lol-old: ) map. It was probably the best map for bzflag! Well I hope to see you out there still playing silverfox! and thanks for the great parties with free beer and all those wild women! 8) !
I Wasn't invited to those!?!
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
kc9foh
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by kc9foh »

That is because your mommy wouldn't let you! :lol-old: :lol-old:
trainee
Private First Class
Private First Class

CYA

Post by trainee »

Dear Comrades in Arms:

I never played any other computer or video game except BZ (other than pinball and old arcade games). I learned to play BZ on Silvercat. It was listed on the first page, so I signed on. If I had known more about BZ and that I would be playing with many of the top players worldwide, I would have begun my BZ training on a different server out of respect for the enjoyment of the dediated Silvercat players. I also would have gotten a laser mouse a lot earlier.

I was so bad. One time, I tk'd with geno. I instantly had 11 tk's. I got kicked, but everyone treated me fairly, especially when I played like an idiot.

I receiving a lot of helpful suggestions and admonishments. RedDog played 1-on-1 with me, taught me to aviod jumping unneccessarily ("YOU JUMP, YOU DIE"), and taught me team play. Wakefield modeled generosity, offering me the opportunity to take the opposing flag to our base when he could have easily CTF. 14All played 1-on-1 or 2-on-1 with me to give me an opportunity to improve. KW* taught me the hard way ("MY BASE"). Eggplant and RedDog offered me their friendship. JB DiGriz reminded me to use my radar to avoid freindly fire and ID my teammates to avoid being crushed by SR. CJ_ played 1-on1 with me and taught me to dodge. CJ_ and Head were just too good. Montoya gave everything and expected the same from his teammates. Atari, a one-player wrecking crew, modeled sportsmanship and humbleness.

Eventually, I started playing better. When Silvercat was less populated, I started playing on other servers. Surprisingly, I was often as good as or even better than other players, and I was occasionally the high scorer. It is a testament to the skill of the dedicated Silvercat players and the quality of the concomitant training that was provided to newer players such as myself.

I miss Silvercat a lot. When there were twenty plus players on the server, playing on Silvercat was more demanding and stressful than entertaining, but it required my concentration and helped me to temporarily forget about some of life's dilemnas, especially when my younger brother was diagnosed with cancer.

There are a lot of players that I remember, some with whom I continue to play, and some that my middle-aged mind has temporarily misplaced but not forgotten; Atari, trepan, Snick, Mr. Fluffles, SilverFox, Wakefield, Miller (high life and otherwise), Head, Grans Remedy, CJ_, Scribo, Genosse Dark Lord, Dracos, JB DiGriz, titmouse, Gronk, Grunt, HW*, Legolas_, Moosheen ("I'm bored," and a lot of other bore jokes), Colorado3855, RedDog, eq, G5 Serenity Again, Emerson, Dr. Bob, spud-an anarchist, teppic, R3lax, Slayer, Constitution, Contamination, Mister Lag, El Zapato, Sal Monela, Montoya, Eggplant, bbb, High Karate Kitty (folks, watch your language!), AlohaEH!, kc9foh, Kooseefoo, and more recently, Grace F.

I also wish to thank Constitution for Tunnels, a wonderful map, which carried a similar model of sportmanship, albeit with newer players.

Thank you always for the good times.
biggeruniverse
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by biggeruniverse »

That was my countless hours server. I could spin on that rotation forever, esp. Overlord. It will indeed be missed.