The Battle of Normandy, 1944 - cbg.bzflag.org:4744

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

The Battle of Normandy, 1944 - cbg.bzflag.org:4744

Post by CannonBallGuy »

This map, created entirely by SpazzyMcGee and myself, was first suggested here.
The server is running now, with 10 shots, a variety of superflags and 1-way CTF.
Thanks to Thumper (you da man), only the red team (axis) have a flag. The blue team (allies) have to capture it.

Go check out the server and see how it works - it's hard to explain.
We've tried to make the map as much like it would have been - progressing up the beach and cliff - whilst still maintaining a high level of playability for jumping tanks.

The server is cbg.bzflag.org:4744 - read the sign infront of your base when you start. :)

Have fun!

Thanks again to Thumper who modified bzfs so that blue team has no flag.
Also thanks to SpazzyMcGee who put at least as much work as me into the map.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Thanks to CBG who put hours of testing to iron out the numerous bugs in our code ;)

And major thanks to Thumper for his BZFS mod.

And Red Cobra, who's idea the project was.

We'll probably end up adding more to it in coming weeks, however we both agreed to stop working on it for a while - it's been ... er .... time consuming.

Fun was had by all.

Ideas and suggestions are very welcome, here or via /report on the server for comments.

(What ho?! 1000th post...)
Last edited by Spazzy McGee on Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
.Zero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by .Zero »

I like it. It's a pretty fun map. I really like being able to jump in the trees with stealth or cloak and wait for the other team to come for the flag :)

The only possible suggestion I might have is (if possible) to make the bullets that come out of the axis bunkers go farther out. I take it the shockwave bursts are allied artillery attacking the axis and the bunker shots to be warding off the allied assault but the shots hardly go anywhere and is more of a danger to the axis than the allies. I think it'd be really interesting if the allies saw a constant hail of bullets over their heads and maybe a few shockwave blasts as well.

By the way, is there a trick to jumping over that huge wall? I keep landing on the very top of the wall but not quite enough so I have to jump on something else just to make it over the wall. Ed: Figured it out ;)

Having 10 shots is nice too on the smaller ledges since the allies can drive back the axis from the lower portion easily without being in trouble, but when the map is fuller, won't that be a disadvantage for allies coming over the wall? I think that a bunch of axis tanks stationed at the wall could keep a constant barrage going and almost prevent the allies from coming over at all.
Ed2: OK, playing with 35-50 people and it's NOT a problem! Well done =)

Anyway, awesome map! Keep up the good work :mrgreen:

Ed: One more thing. When I'm allied (blue), my very first spawn I get trapped inside the base and i have to selfdestruct
Last edited by .Zero on Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c2water
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by c2water »

.Zero wrote:Ed: One more thing. When I'm allied (blue), my very first spawn I get trapped inside the base and i have to selfdestruct
Same problem on this map. I started a topic related to this a couple of months ago: "Sealed" on Certain Surfaces

This map is pretty cool though - something different.
Bentusi Elite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bentusi Elite »

If there could just be some more flag spawn zones it could severely even out the team scores... Perhaps giving the Nazis better weapons to defend themselves (Having Genocide spawn in their base is almost a no-brainer :|). Guided Missile might be good for them but it might be a bit too good. Better yet why not give he Nazi's GM spawn zones but make it easier for the Allies to capture the flag? Tunnels under their base anyone?
halo3
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by halo3 »

i had so much fun on battle of normady today guys u diserve a big pat on the back. but the 1 way ctf is broken so ya gotta fix it ;)
urbanracer34
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by urbanracer34 »

I agree! It is a great map and server but the things I would improve are:
-adding some wings flags onto the map (helps to get red flag of instruction signs)
-more machine gun flags needed
-make shots kill only opposition (fire at a teammate and the teammate does not get killed)
-faster firing rates on lasers
-get rid of the "world weapon" firing from inside red team bunkers (makes it a pain to snipe, getting shot from behind)
-The best improvement would be putting in a Language Filter. People have been using this to their advantage(and amusement), constantly saying racial slurs and swear words.
-increase GM and MG shot range
-add about 2 more regular shots
-fix blue flag
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

urbanracer34 wrote:-add about 2 more regular shots
I have to dissagree on that 1 - I personally think you should decrease the number of shots.
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

Friendly fire can't be disabled under 2.0.x without some really nasty hacks.

I personally don't think wings is a good idea. its usefulness on a relatively flat map is limited, and it would enable some nasty spawn camping in the water. The red flag can easily be grabbed from the sign on the red side.

And anyway, it'd be better to just make it impossible to drop the flag on top of the signs. ;)

Fewer shots would be nice, IMO, 5 or 6. That would help with the TKing issue also.

The hedgehogs don't look quite right. The rods should be at right angles to one another. :p
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

I think putting flagstays on the really nasty flags, namely GM and MG, would help balance it out.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Hannibal: we tried that - that was the cause of major teething problems. It seems the flagstay and wwzones plugins don't like each other, and won't run together.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Frankly, the idea of putting anymore work into this is making me feel (more) ill.
We'll see how I feel about it tomorrow, but unless there are any major issues that need to be worked out ASAP, it'll all stay as it is for at least a day.

Thanks for all the suggestions though - they are appreciated.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

halo3
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by halo3 »

you should put photos of d-day around the map by the boards on this map it would look realy cool i think :)
Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

It is just awesome. When i played, the scoreboard was getting out of the screen. It was something like 25vs25 + 7 or more observers.
The S
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

I was just on today (4-10-07) and the map was not up. what has happend to it?

and may I suggest some of these: http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=10440 laying around on the beach.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

The server was down for around 8 hours but is back now.
It is now running as normal 2-way CTF.
Please do not place either team flag on top of either sign - you will be punished for doing this.
The shot limit has also been lowered to 5.
Those are the two main changes and I'll see what everyone thinks after a day or two - then either stick with the current settings or revert back.

Merry Christmas!

Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

There is a problem with one of the map changes - I'll fix it pronto, but you'll have to live with it tonight. When you encounter it, you'll know what i'm talking about.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

what about my suggestion?
QuantumBeep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by QuantumBeep »

CBG: PUNISH? Put an angled mesh on top of the signs. Not all of your players read the forums.

Out of curiosity, why don't you want players putting it there? It's nowhere near impossible to retrieve (I got wiped out defending a flag on the sign, and the flag was taken).
Save the trees, wipe your butt with an owl.
If catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults.

Proud member of the Mofo Cabal<br>
<br>
OK thats ENUTH OUTA YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - smartkid
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

QuantumBeep wrote:CBG: PUNISH? Put an angled mesh on top of the signs. Not all of your players read the forums.

Out of curiosity, why don't you want players putting it there? It's nowhere near impossible to retrieve (I got wiped out defending a flag on the sign, and the flag was taken).
You're pretty late, flags have not been able to land on the signs for a while now.
Also, it _is_ impossible to get flags from on top of the allied sign.

Merry Christmas!