Home Sweet Home

User made maps to use on servers.
LouMan
Chief Sgt. of Cartography

Home Sweet Home

Post by LouMan »

Well, I've finally got the "Home Sweet Home" map to a point where I'm ready to share with everyone. I'm in the process of trying to get it hosted somewhere, but for now here is the map file and a few screenshots. It is designed as a Keep Away style map and includes references to such in the map file. If you wish to use it in a different manner, all "keepaway" references will need to be removed from the map file. If you want to keep it as Keep Away, you will need to change the map file to reference your particular plugin directory (containing the keepaway plugin, of course). There are also references to keepaway help files that would need to be adjusted to your particulars.

Also, I have the textures packaged and available for anyone wishing them - just send me a pm with your email address and I'll send them to you if you want. You'll need to adjust the map file to reference the correct texture URL locations.
Attachments
HomeSweetHomeR3.zip
Home Sweet Home Map R3
(350.42 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
HSH4.jpg
Screenshot
(53 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
HSH3.jpg
Screenshot
(64.06 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
HSH1.jpg
Screenshot
(47.57 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
Last edited by LouMan on Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

Yippee! :D

I can't wait to try out this map, even if it does take a while for the textures to load... :)
h3_logger
Private
Private

Post by h3_logger »

LOUMAN THIS IS THE BEST MAP EVER MADE I HAD SO MUCH FUN ON IT TODAY GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

h3_logger wrote:LOUMAN THIS IS THE BEST MAP EVER MADE I HAD SO MUCH FUN ON IT TODAY GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!

Dude. Cut the caps, and try to speak in real, non AOL english.

LouMan:

I like it, but, hmm, I think it would be better as an FFA.

Also, I found it hard to get around in the map (although I only played for 15 min), because the radar was basically all black. (From the different levels) I don't know if you can fix this, but it sure would be nice.

Another thing, maybe outside on the "lawn" put a few (more) rocks, or shrubs?

- Win
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Hey I'm getting this error. Do you guys know why?
It seems like everyone else is loading it fine, so it must be what I'm doing...or not doing...

LouMan

Post by LouMan »

Grace F - see the notes regarding the keepaway plugin.

BTW - I just updated the map file in the original post. I added shot limit to geno and fixed a few broken URL references.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

K, yea sry I'd forgotten about what was written above.

Thx LouMan
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

I like it, but, hmm, I think it would be better as an FFA.
I have to agree.

Map looks pretty good from observer, a little odd at first in actual drive-around-playing. :) Very nicely done, though.
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

Well , i love the map soo soo much , but a i can not join on it because when i try to it says "server unxplectady disconected".
“Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all of my base are belong to you.” ~ Nerd on Colour
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

first, thanks a lot for another fascinating, beautiful map!.. even though i like the keep away mod, i also couldn't help thinking if ffa would be more suitable for this map. maybe because it was the first day, most people including me seemed to be more interested in discovering the house and shooting whoever of the opposite team crosses the path, rather than going for the flag type to be kept.. i'm also wondering how this would be as a no-radar map. no-radar ffa. hmm don't know.. if it's technically possible, i would also like to see a few more things in the garden, simple things like rocks, a few additional trees.. another thing, can wg have more shots? because of the momentum effect wg is half-handicapped anyway.. yet another thing, if the water in the pool was not deadly, there could be a few fights in and around the pool and it would be cool. 8)
LouMan

Post by LouMan »

I have updated the map file in the original post with revision 1 of the map. I fixed the upstairs bathtub issue (I originally did a copy, paste, paste with the model instead of a copy, paste - doh!). I will take all suggestions and see what I can do, but I probably will not add any more objects to the map at this time. If I try to add to much, it will likely drive down framerate for the map.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Textures

Post by optic delusion »

Louman, I plan on stealing several of your textures for a pinbal map I've been working on, do you have any objections to that?
I find floor textures to be very hard to come up with anything that works.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
LouMan

Post by LouMan »

Feel free - no problem. They're all open for anyone to use.
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by that exploding tank »

I noticed that the area around the toilets seems very bland... is there a way you can add shading to it to make it look more realistic?
LouMan

Post by LouMan »

There is smoothing on the toilets - unfortunately the 'real' texture of porcelain does not have that many contrasts in it. I tried to add a little texturing contrast to them, without making them look totally unrealistic.

Win Wp: regarding your radar - try it in 'enhanced' mode, it looks a little better.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

Louman: It is in enhanced mode, it just kind of blends together into a mush...

I can still see, it just isn't very clear.

Too bad we can't define /set _radarDisplayDistance or something...
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

if you pay attention to your tank's size, you figure out where you are (like smallest in the basement). i'm playing this map like no tomorrow. keep away is great fun too. if only there was a way to highlight the flag-holder like the rabbit on rabbit-hunt, but oh well..
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

Green Manalishi wrote:if you pay attention to your tank's size, you figure out where you are (like smallest in the basement). i'm playing this map like no tomorrow. keep away is great fun too. if only there was a way to highlight the flag-holder like the rabbit on rabbit-hunt, but oh well..
I suppose we could have a plugin that figures out the flag holder's position and fires a shockwave way above the house, at their X-Y coordinates, so we can see on the radar.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Green Manalishi wrote:if only there was a way to highlight the flag-holder like the rabbit on rabbit-hunt, but oh well..
Well, it's not automatic, but i make extensive use of hunt ("u") on the map...
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

TangenT wrote: I suppose we could have a plugin that figures out the flag holder's position and fires a shockwave way above the house, at their X-Y coordinates, so we can see on the radar.
interesting idea, but that would only help at the start. you wanna follow where he goes too.
donny_baker wrote: Well, it's not automatic, but i make extensive use of hunt ("u") on the map...
me too. in the lack of auto-highlight it's a must if you care about keep away.
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

Green Manalishi wrote:
TangenT wrote: I suppose we could have a plugin that figures out the flag holder's position and fires a shockwave way above the house, at their X-Y coordinates, so we can see on the radar.
interesting idea, but that would only help at the start. you wanna follow where he goes too.
donny_baker wrote: Well, it's not automatic, but i make extensive use of hunt ("u") on the map...
me too. in the lack of auto-highlight it's a must if you care about keep away.
Yeah, but couldn't you have one go off every 5 or 10 seconds above the carrier? You can look up player positions, IIRC.
LouMan

Post by LouMan »

I have updated the map to R2 in the original post.

I added my desktop, due to popular demand. I also fixed the flag behind the living room TV issue and added a surface at ground level to whisk away those that fall thru floor to ground level (usually by intentionally induced lag/jitter).
LouMan

Post by LouMan »

I updated map to Revision 3 in original post due to a few comments I saw/received:

1) Opened master bedroom door slightly (couldn't get behind it before and flags may have spawned there).
2) Fixed master bedroom roof above window (had an unintentional trap if flying up there with WG).
3) Raised teleporter under desktop to block access behind it.
Stij
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Stij »

It looks great, but I found it kinda hard to get from floor to floor. Some more teleporters would be nice. Also, like other people said, the radar is kinda confusing at first, but I guess there's nothing you can do about that.