Flickering display after starting bzflag

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
goose
Private
Private

Flickering display after starting bzflag

Post by goose »

I set up a new dual Xeon 2.8 with an x440 nvidia card & open Suse 10.2(64bit)

After starting bzflag I got a flickering background screen - I have to wait 10 to 20 seconds then the picture gets stable, also there is sometimes some flickering within the lower section of the screen while I.m playing use the latest bzflag version 2.0.8 ( came with the OS distri ).

This is the only one of my systems with this effect ( to be honest the others are all songle core 32bit )

Is that a known issue ? ( and is thre at least a workaround ? )

Yours

greg
Grans Remedy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Grans Remedy »

Yeah, I used to get this all the time too. I'm also on Suse 10.2. I'm pretty sure its either a driver issue or an X config issue. I can't remember how I fixed it - I think it may have been an update on the driver. Check nVidia's website for a later driver.

Grans
No coffee, no workee
goose
Private
Private

Post by goose »

Tx;

That was my thougt too, I set up this system a few weeks ago and installed the newest driver verion, so I have to wait.

Interesting effect is that the flckering stops after approx 20 Seconds and does not return - you just have tio wait, and do nothing if younavigate through the menu within the flickering phase, bzflag stops sometimes.

It looks like the flickering is a kind of adjustnent ( frequency, FPS, whatever )

Further hints are welcome

Greg
Defman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Defman »

same problem here on opensuse10.2

IRC, I fixed it on another system awhile back that was 10.2 also, I think I just killed beagle and beagled and all those things that start with "z" - though I'm not positive that's what did it.

This time around, I just live with it and wait the 10 to 20 seconds or so.