Flag Idea - Ricochet Tank (RT)

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
NoWell
Private First Class
Private First Class

Flag Idea - Ricochet Tank (RT)

Post by NoWell »

Just had this idea and didn't find it already as suggestion.

When you have this flag your tank can't shoot, but reflect all shots like ricochet (expect GM,SB and SW which kills your tank)
So you can protect a team member for being hit (when you drive in the fireline), or even try to bounce the bullets back to your enemy :)
WarPig
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by WarPig »

i like the idea! would you be able to reflect your own bullets or teammates bullets? i like the idea of bodyguarding your teammates also!
NoWell
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by NoWell »

WarPig wrote:i like the idea! would you be able to reflect your own bullets or teammates bullets? i like the idea of bodyguarding your teammates also!
Your tank itself can't shoot, so you can't reflect your bullets. I think it should reflect all bullets, team bullets and opponent bullets. Or ?
WarPig
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by WarPig »

oh right! thats an awsome idea. good thinking. also some players could be become very skilled with it, making it a very useful flag.
plokijuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by plokijuy »

Nice idea, i wouldnt mind if that flag was put in production
BinarySpike
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BinarySpike »

I suggested this flag just when 2.0.2 came out, but I suggested GM be ricochet (SB and SW kill)
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

How would this work? I understand everything you said but what I don't understand is in what direction each bullet would reco. If hit in the right spot could the bullet bounce up?

I do like this idea, sounds like alot of fun :) Just drive at your enemies and let them shoot you hehe :twisted:

I think it's weaknesses should be Machine Gun, Laser, Super Bullet and SW. Laser and Machine Gun because they hit very hard and should break the tanks defenses.
IMO anyway :)
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

See RubberTank (RT) at http://my.bzflag.org/w/Flag_Ideas

Personally I don't agree with the "just use shield" evaluation; particularly if the ricochet angle is controllable with practice, the flag fits very nicely into the "easy to learn, difficult to master" category. Also note that unlike shield, it can sustain multiple hits, and unlike shield, can be killed by certain shot types.
NoWell
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by NoWell »

I fully agree, maybe the most important part (which is missing at Rubber Tank) is, that you can't shoot !!!, because then it's a to powerful flag. With RT Flag Teamplaying will be enhanced dramatical. Think of a moving "wall/box" where your teammates can cover behind to storm the enemy base ..... or from enemy point of view .... think of the fantastic ~4 at one shoot kill with SW from all the tanks hidding behind the RT Tank :)

To Grace:

For the richo effect i think that the tank should be treaded as a "moving box" in default tanksize (only to calculate the angle, not displayed as a box :).

I like the idea that also MG can kill the tank, but would like that it is not killable by laser.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

I suggested this flag just when 2.0.2 came out, but I suggested GM be ricochet (SB and SW kill)
I don't think missiles can riccochet :). But I might be wrong.

It's a good concept, I think, but I don't think it would be so great playability wise. And as for coding? How would you make it bounce? Depending on the part of the tank the bullet hits? Or just straight back like if you were shooting straight at a wall?
____
/\ ||
|| ||
|| \/
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by that exploding tank »

Would this also make your tank invincible? If so, then you could just drive and plow on ahead until you dropped the flag for some strange, odd reason. I agree with ducati in that the flag idea sounds great, but is not really playable.
NoWell
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by NoWell »

ducatiwannabe wrote:
I don't think missiles can riccochet :). But I might be wrong.

It's a good concept, I think, but I don't think it would be so great playability wise. And as for coding? How would you make it bounce? Depending on the part of the tank the bullet hits? Or just straight back like if you were shooting straight at a wall?
____
/\ ||
|| ||
|| \/
For coding i would assume the tank is a "box". The bullets should bounce like from normal wall but should respect the angle the tank has. I attach a small picture (top view)
Attachments
Tanks from top view
Tanks from top view
TF.jpg (4.87 KiB) Viewed 1562 times
alphamugwump
Private
Private

Post by alphamugwump »

that exploding tank wrote:Would this also make your tank invincible? If so, then you could just drive and plow on ahead until you dropped the flag for some strange, odd reason. I agree with ducati in that the flag idea sounds great, but is not really playable.
You could make it like a force field. If they poke their barrel inside it, they can shoot you. or just hit you with SW, SB, etc.
asciimonster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by asciimonster »

Doesn't this give lag issues?

Given the near impossibiliy to say where a tank is at any given time, wouldn't we get a lot of complaints of people saying that their bullit bounced in mid air! :|

But otherwise this could be a nice addition to the rabbit hunt: the Defenders, who defend the rabbit from the hunters.
(Would be more heroic to take a bullit for "your" rabbit though :lol-old: )
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

asciimonster wrote:Doesn't this give lag issues?

Given the near impossibiliy to say where a tank is at any given time, wouldn't we get a lot of complaints of people saying that their bullit bounced in mid air! :|
Well, if you think about it, the lag would only be as bad as it currently is with hit detection. There would be no extra lag above this.

Personally, I think It could be a fun idea... although i'm not sure about ricocheting GMs.

I would say that it should work as though your tank takes on te properties of a wall: rico all bullets except SW and SB, and GMs should just hit with no damage, (as though they hit a wall).
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon