Spiff maps

General talk about the map making process.

Should I start making maps again?

Yes.
63%
No! I'm stupid and I can't figure your maps out!
6%
I don't know!
6%
Yes, but keep them simple!
25%

Total votes: 16

Spaceman Spiff

Spiff maps

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Due to the fact that I rarely play FFA anymore, I haven't been creating any maps! *sob* Now that I am developing a new interest in map making... I'm curious if it would make the people in this community happy if I started making maps again.
SGI
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SGI »

I voted yes........because in this way your are so busy and you dont post posts here :).
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

Yes, but make them more newbie friendly. ie, make them friendly for me. :)

yes, we need more maps, MadCity needs to go into a Jordon-like retirement for a bit. For that to happen we need more maps for the server owners to select from.
Last edited by Grumbler on Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I will readily admit that some of my older maps were very confusing. But sadly.. there is a fine line between "newbie friendly" and "veteran friendly." It's really tough to bridge the gap between the two groups of players. If you make the map too simple the "veteran" players will get bored. If you make it too confusing the newbies will get discouraged.

I personally think that Silent Death 3.0 is one of the best maps for players of all talents. Decks ranks way up there too (as long as there are no flags). Maybe it's time that I finish the map I was working on a while back... *evil laugh*
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

If the map has taken you this long, I can only wonder what is in store. No giant rats I hope.
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

don't send me into coniptions like Gerbils did. Gosh those maps had my head spinning. The most confusing was invisible walls, hidden teleporters, variable teleporters, and fake walls. Man oh man...

bad memories.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
Legolas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas »

Deffinetly yes. I like your maps because they are very comlipicated and I like finding out the secret passages.:)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

:twisted: Koba. Methinks you will enjoy it. It will probabily suffice to say that it's going to be a cross between Canyon and Silent Death..... ;)
Burned Account -CNG-
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Burned Account -CNG- »

sure spiff i would like to see what maps ur up 2, most of them are great.
Do not enable this account with out admin aproval
widowmaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by widowmaker »

Spiff, your maps are great I would like to see more of them of there!!!
megachirops
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by megachirops »

this is an unfair poll. Who would be mean enough to call you stupid? Anyways i'd like to see more maps.. Keep 'em comming.
"When in doubt, quit"
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

I voted "Yes, but keep them simple". :)

I do enjoy your maps, Spiff, but they do take a lot of use until a player knows them like his own HUD.

I prefer maps that are complex enough to provide challenging play and various tactics, but simple enough to know wherever you are without thinking twice. MadCity is a good example of this because the map is so easy to remember where you are. Given, the layout is somewhat boring now because it's been around so long, it was an awesome make a year ago.

Otherwise, I'd encourage you to keep making maps -- you always make fun ones and I know you have fun making them. Since you're into CTF a little more know, how about making some good CTF maps with that perfect simple/complex ratio? :)
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}
learner
General
General

rigged poll

Post by learner »

Wow, what a rigged poll. There are basically two choices. "Yes" and "I'm too stupid to think"

Not exactly an intelligently useful poll in my book. :) I'll opt out of voting for this one.

Cheers!
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

Yes, I'd agree. Spiff's poll is a bit rigged. :) I'd wonder how many "no" votes he'd get if it just said "No". I didn't read that no answer until you mentioned, learner.

hehehe, time to cut the ego down a notch, Spiff. :P
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

*snicker* I just have to post back to this one. Yes.. I'm still lurking around the boards a little. I'm just dis-interested with BZ right now.. so I'm not playing.... at all. :)

Rigged, eh? It was a J-O-K-E. ;) LoL Even if everyone voted no.. I'm still going to make maps. It's fun... I enjoy it.. and it's a bit of time killer when I have absolutely nouthing better to do (which is becoming less and less frequent).
Annnnnnnnyway... the "No" option says that because the only people who have ever whined about my maps are the ones who said they were "too complicated." Funny enough.. one of these was martin.. and he ended up loving Canyon 3.0 (while I, on the other hand, ended up disliking it). ;)
So.. I guess you could say I'm mocking the people who whine about my maps instead of making a valid suggestion- "Yes, but keep them simple!"

Anyway... this is Spiff signing off after his first post in... eight days? Wow.. ;)

P.S.- Welcome back Dervish. :D
learner
General
General

Post by learner »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:*snicker* I just have to post back to this one. Yes.. I'm still lurking around the boards a little. I'm just dis-interested with BZ right now.. so I'm not playing.... at all. :)

[snip]

Anyway... this is Spiff signing off after his first post in... eight days? Wow.. ;)
Hehe .. I knew that would pull you out of the cobwebs. :) Suckered you good - and even on your own thread. :lol-old:

tee hee

Take care Spaceman, enjoy your fun around the galaxy. Don't let the Yukbarf's capture you and don't leave home without your death ray blaster. ;)

Cheers!
Merry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Merry »

Deffinetly!! I LOVE your maps!
The secret to flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
wingnut
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wingnut »

hey spiff, love your maps but keep them small/simple. Decks was great until it got bastardized into the 30 level version. It it is so tall you can't see the ground from the top level, its too tall. If you have no way of seeing the far side of a map it is too wide and if you can wander inside a building for 1/2 an hour and never see another play in a 10 player game, it is too complex.

My .02. WingNut.