What is an un-even team?

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

PETER: if you want to know stuff about how to run a server, have a look at and read through in its entirety the bzflag wiki. It doesn't cover everything, but it's a great starting place, and you should know it inside out before asking questions about things like how to load plugins at server startup. If you ask questions that the answers to them can be had by a simple Google search, you'll get ignored or howled at.

In this case, the page is:

http://my.bzflag.org/w/Plug-ins
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

A Meteorite wrote:Anyways, fairCTF's default options accomplish what a good majority would consider even or uneven. There is also other topics with very pertinent information.
Agreed. This has been discussed before, but I don't know if there will ever be a global consensus on it. FairCTF's settings are quite acceptable by most people's standards.
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

Thanks longhair I did actualy find that very usefull , still reading but looks very good.
“Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all of my base are belong to you.” ~ Nerd on Colour
Sky King
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sky King »

This thread is a bit dated, but... Here's a general rule of thumb that I have used when fairCTF is not running:

Code: Select all

If the SMALLER team has:          the larger team must be within:
========================          ===============================
      1,2,3,4                                equal
        5,6                                    1
       7,8,9                                   2
        10+                                   any
I have found that some servers need different numbers depending on map size, layout, etc. These numbers work well for most CTF servers, and if you look at them, you can see they are roughly an approximation of "common sense".

I find the real challenge is deciding, as an admin, how firmly to enforce the guidelines, and how harshly to deal with people who, after a warning, decide to cap anyway. I usually have no reservations about warning the first time, kicking the second, and then short-banning a third offense.

BTW, one serious pet peeve of mine... The whole point of fairCTF, either as a plugin or as a guideline, is to promote sportsmanship and fair play. Many players will do the thing where they grab the flag while they're up 6-2, and transport it back to their base and stash it an inch from the base itself. Then later, once the teams are closer to even, they grab it and cap it. There's no grey area here, when you do that, you are plain and simply thumbing your nose at sportsmanship and the spirit of the game.

That defeats in every way the whole purpose of having CTF guidelines. The whole purpose of fair CTF is to give the smaller team a reasonable chance of defending their flag during the run.

If the teams are highly uneven, or become very uneven during the capping run, the only course of action is to jump-drop the flag and return it, period.
Retired Army--Proud to have served
Armored Cavalry Crewman, 1981-1984 (M60A5)
Infantry Officer & Paratrooper, 1984-1986
US Army Ranger & Sniper, 1986-1989 (LRSD)

Water Cooled 8-Core Ryzen 7 2700x @ 3.7GHz | Radeon RX590 GPU | 43" 4K Monitor
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

This is one of the nice things about the fair CTF plugin. You immediately drop the flag if the other team has too small a number of players.

Now, if there was only an auto kill for those guys who sit there and repeatedly try to pick up the flag.
charg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by charg »

CannonBallGuy wrote:Why not just state that "Team A" may have no more than 120% of "Team B".
If this 120% is exceeded, the teams are declared uneven.

Hell, better yet, just use the fairCTF plugin...
This is a good idea, becuase 120% will make sure theres not too many people extra one one team :D
Make sure you get my new Map Editor!: http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?p=115526#115526