NonRegisteredAutoDropGM

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
too much loving
Private First Class
Private First Class

NonRegisteredAutoDropGM

Post by too much loving »

Just for the fun of it: How about a plugin that caused non-registered players to drop the GM as soon as they got it.

That would encourage everybody to register :D
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Now that's an interesting idea... but I think it would have a bigger affect on the long-timers (who just don't want to register), and less on the newbies (who just wouldn't understand why they couldn't pick up a certain kind of flag).

Other games require the same kind of global registration... there's nothing inherently difficult or unusual about it. I think it's just a matter of making it obvious how to register. For instance, any time someone tries to join ANY server, have it kick them off and display a BIG message saying to go to this site to register. Would have to be the same across all servers, though (or perhaps an opt-out system for those who specifically want to allow it). Removing the SPAWN privilege from the EVERYONE group by default might help this.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Add to the message - "It's Free! :D" - That will sway some minds :)
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

Yes...Although I do not agree with your suggestion I do agree with the general idea, there is still quite a bit of unregistered players on most servers.

I do not think that making them drop GM would be very effective. What i think we should do is add a feature in-game that would let them register without having to visit the site itself. [the lazy codfish ;)]

It would be part of the client, and you wouldn't have to go to a server to register, there are several flaws in this idea, one of them being that they might not ever come here anyways, feel free to point them out.
Last edited by Davy Jones on Sun May 27, 2007 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

Grace F wrote:Add to the message - "It's Free! :D" - That will sway some minds :)
The problem there is that in a corporate driven consumer society we all know you don't get something for nothing, and the suspicion radar goes wild.
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

constitution wrote:For instance, any time someone tries to join ANY server, have it kick them off and display a BIG message saying to go to this site to register. Would have to be the same across all servers, though (or perhaps an opt-out system for those who specifically want to allow it). Removing the SPAWN privilege from the EVERYONE group by default might help this.
There are always a few idiots who might be too lazy to register, and just ditch the game all-together, although we don't want those kinds of people playing anyways...
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Davy Jones wrote:There are always a few idiots who might be too lazy to register, and just ditch the game all-together, although we don't want those kinds of people playing anyways...
So... it's not really an issue? :-)
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

No not an issue, but, rarely, if BZBB is down, and you can't talk with the list server, it would mark you as unregistered, meaning you wouldn't get to play either, would also be a slight inconvenience to those who don't have an e-mail, to register with
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Davy Jones wrote:No not an issue, but, rarely, if BZBB is down, and you can't talk with the list server, it would mark you as unregistered, meaning you wouldn't get to play either, would also be a slight inconvenience to those who don't have an e-mail, to register with
Well, you could make the said plugin disable it's self if more than 90% of the players aren't registered.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Davy Jones wrote:No not an issue, but, rarely, if BZBB is down, and you can't talk with the list server, it would mark you as unregistered, meaning you wouldn't get to play either, would also be a slight inconvenience to those who don't have an e-mail, to register with
Spazzy Mcgee wrote:Well, you could make the said plugin disable it's self if more than 90% of the players aren't registered.
Even better, have said plugin check for the DISCONNECTED group, which is available in the development branch. BZFS applies the DISCONNECTED group to everyone when it is unable to contact global login services.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

ah, so if the list server is down, everyone is automatically in the said "Disconnected" group? *goes to figure out how to make plug-ins*
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Davy Jones wrote:ah, so if the list server is down, everyone is automatically in the said "Disconnected" group? *goes to figure out how to make plug-ins*
Yes, but only in somewhat recent 2.0.9's and 2.1's (probably within the span of 6 months).
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tropican8 »

Teppic wrote:
Grace F wrote:Add to the message - "It's Free! :D" - That will sway some minds :)
The problem there is that in a corporate driven consumer society we all know you don't get something for nothing, and the suspicion radar goes wild.
I agree with Teppic. If I was a newb and saw something like that, I would question the motivation of the game developers and probably delete the game.
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

Tropican8 wrote:
Teppic wrote:
I agree with Teppic. If I was a newb and saw something like that, I would question the motivation of the game developers and probably delete the game.
It would be a good idea to say something along those lines, otherwise players might think 'Runescape'. How about 'Registration requires a valid email'? That implies that it's free, sort of.