2 -world files?

General talk about the map making process.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

2 -world files?

Post by Grace F »

My question is that as you can only have 1'-world' file in a config, is there a way to create the Structure of a map in BZEdit and still use a txt file that adds water to it?

I have just started hand coding, trying to work out how to add materials and, I don't even know what a 'meshbox' is :P I've added water and I want to make the Buildings in BZEdit as it's faster and easier for me.

So all in all, have '-world \path\to\map\mapstructure.bzw' and '-world \path\to\txtfile\detail.txt' which would include all the materials, meshes and water.

Can I do this or not untill this new BZMap Maker Program comes out (Google Summer of Code). Or is my only option for the moment to "completely" hand code it :?
Mostly Harmless!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mostly Harmless! »

Err, If I understand correctly, you're looking for the 'include' option. Just enter "include" <filename>, and that bit of code will be included. So you can add include world \path\to\map\mapstructure.bzw to the other file, making the structure editable in BZEdit, while having materials etc. in the other file. If you plan on texturing the BZEdit boxes, than you need to switch the include statement (e.g. put it into the structure file with the other address) and change the boxes to meshboxes. This will make it uneditable in BZEdit.

I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones.
It is not the fall that kills you. It's the sudden stop at the end.
Always remember you are unique. Just like everybody else.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Ah ok kewl thx.

Sry. I replied to what you wrote above only what you wrote above was very short, maybe you pressed submit accidently before finishing what you were writting :P

Thx I getcha now :)
Last edited by Grace F on Sat May 26, 2007 5:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mostly Harmless!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mostly Harmless! »

Put it into the map file. It does almost the same as copy/paste, but the included objects can't reference the materials found in the file that has the include statement in it.

I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones.
It is not the fall that kills you. It's the sudden stop at the end.
Always remember you are unique. Just like everybody else.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

im getting errors when trying to run it.

This is what I've done.

I have 1 txt file which includes all the boxes, archs and water :) That is my first hand coded little map thing.

I have a config that I use which includes shot limit, a password and a -world "Here goes the path to the above world".

When running the Config, it runs the map with all the options just fine. Now, which file do I add "include" to and how do I add it? :P

World Options.txt

Code: Select all

-world "C:\Documents and Settings\Grace\My Documents\My BZFlag Files\worlds\myhandcoded.txt"
-password mymap
-a 50 38
-ms 4
+r
-j
+f WG{2}
Should I add it there?

or here in the Map Structure.txt

world
 size 600.0
 flagHeight 10.0
end
waterLevel
 height 1
end

box
 name Red Floor Castle
 position 0 -500 40
 size 100 100 2
end

etc etc.
Thx for helping, but I need a little more clarification :P
AAA
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by AAA »

First of all, don't put anything in a .txt tile, I have no clue what you are going to use that file in. If it is a bzflag server configuration file, which World Options seems to be, make it "WorldOptions.conf", and use it like this:
bzfs -conf "WorldOptions.conf"
If it is a world file, which Map Structure seems to be, use the .bzw extension, like "MapStructure.bzw".

Most map makers don't use multiple files. What you are doing doesn't seem like anything most map makers don't do with a single file (if any do, then they merge their files before distributing them).

Command line:
bzfs -conf config.conf

config.conf:

-world world.bzw
-set _rainType show
...etc
world.bzw:

world
   name "My world"
   size 400
end
include "worldLevel1.bzw"
include "worldLevel2.bzw"
...etc
worldLevel1.bzw
etc...
Admin and Senior Vice Executive Administrator of Network and System Architecture @ BZFX -- Core Admin @ CAN -- SF.net user diamondmagic -- irc.freenode.net nickname AAA_awright (#bzfx if not #bzflag)
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

AAA wrote:First of all, don't put anything in a .txt tile, I have no clue what you are going to use that file in. If it is a bzflag server configuration file, which World Options seems to be, make it "WorldOptions.conf", and use it like this:
bzfs -conf "WorldOptions.conf"
If it is a world file, which Map Structure seems to be, use the .bzw extension, like "MapStructure.bzw".
MapStructure isn't a .bzw file though
I hand coded it on NotePad.
AAA wrote: Most map makers don't use multiple files. What you are doing doesn't seem like anything most map makers don't do with a single file (if any do, then they merge their files before distributing them).
That's what im trying to do, merge them. I want to create the map, boxes and all that on BZEdit and merge with my txt file that contains water and world weapons.
AAA wrote: Command line:
bzfs -conf config.conf

config.conf:

-world world.bzw
-set _rainType show
...etc
world.bzw:

world
   name "My world"
   size 400
end
include "worldLevel1.bzw"
include "worldLevel2.bzw"
...etc
worldLevel1.bzw
etc...
I added this:

world
 size 600.0
 flagHeight 10.0
end
include "sdfsdf.bzw" <----
waterLevel
 height 1
end
I got it to work - I moved around where I saved my .bzw to where I was running my .conf and .txt :P

Thx.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Grace F wrote:MapStructure isn't a .bzw file though
I hand coded it on NotePad.
So? Just save as file.bzw.
Grace F wrote:That's what im trying to do, merge them. I want to create the map, boxes and all that on BZEdit and merge with my txt file that contains water and world weapons.
Uh... Copy and Paste ???

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

uh...I didn't know it was that simple.

It's all working good now so it doesn't matter now. :)