Multiple world-spanning map

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Stij
Private First Class
Private First Class

Multiple world-spanning map

Post by Stij »

Inspired by a thread in the Map Making forum (I think, can't seem to find it right now), what if there was a map that spanned several seperate "worlds", each connected by special teleporters? I'm not sure how exactly you would impliment it, but it could add a lot to the game.

For instance, a CTF map where each team's base was on a seperate world, with a median world in between the two. Or a truly massive FFA map. Or even a Rabbit Hunt map- it would be even harder to hunt down a rabbit when you have several worlds to hide in. It might help cut down on lag too (if it spans mulitple servers), but again, I don't exactly understand how that stuff works.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

You thinking of the topic Let's expand the Phantom Zone (pz) in the Enhancements Forum :)
tadd
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

teleporters - information display

Post by tadd »

it would be nice to have the teleporter show the name of the map it connects to and possibly how many players are there.
Perhaps this would be optional text in the middle of the teleporter area or a separate frame above the teleporter?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 800 character limit
Tedius
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Tedius »

You are entering the Tavern.
In front of you is an old man holding a mug.
To the East is a teleporter to the Street,
to the South is the teleporter to the Secret Cove.
>
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Multiple world-spanning map

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Stij wrote:Inspired by a thread in the Map Making forum (I think, can't seem to find it right now), what if there was a map that spanned several seperate "worlds", each connected by special teleporters? I'm not sure how exactly you would impliment it, but it could add a lot to the game.

For instance, a CTF map where each team's base was on a seperate world, with a median world in between the two. Or a truly massive FFA map. Or even a Rabbit Hunt map- it would be even harder to hunt down a rabbit when you have several worlds to hide in. It might help cut down on lag too (if it spans mulitple servers), but again, I don't exactly understand how that stuff works.
This is entirely possible and I have started a map like this on two separate occasions. The reason I never completed either is because I kept getting bored about 20 minutes in - before I even started actually placing objects in the separate worlds.
Perhaps you'll see me finish something like this in a months time or so...

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tropican8 »

Stij wrote:Inspired by a thread in the Map Making forum (I think, can't seem to find it right now), what if there was a map that spanned several seperate "worlds", each connected by special teleporters? I'm not sure how exactly you would impliment it, but it could add a lot to the game.

This is entirely possible, no implementation problems at all. In fact, L4m3r created a map identical to the type you are describing in order to merge Pillbox, Overlord, and Babel. The problem is, they are impossible to fill.

Theme97 began a plugin at my request in order to rectify this problem. What it does is add or subtract spawnpoints based on the number of players on the server. If perfected, it would allow, let's say 5 people, to romp around on a tight FFA. Then if 10 people arrive, all of a sudden players will start spawning in an entirely new section of the map. (Ideally disconnected from the first section completely, not even linked by teleporters.)

Since the maps grows and shrinks with the playercount, consistent gameplay would be achieved, and other than noticing spawning somewhere new, it would be completely transparent to the user.

The plugin's here if anyone wants to mess with it: http://theme.freehostia.com/bzflag/plug ... layerCount

I never really understood Theme's documentation, to be honest.
Tedius wrote:You are entering the Tavern.
In front of you is an old man holding a mug.
To the East is a teleporter to the Street,
to the South is the teleporter to the Secret Cove.
>
xyzzy!
Tedius
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Tedius »

Tropican8 wrote: xyzzy!
Nothing happens
too much loving
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by too much loving »

For the sake of completeness. This was added as a feature request in 2002. Apparently this was in progress for bzflag 1.8. (Or did I misunderstand??)

[ 543508 ] Inter-world transport.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=353248
Stij
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Stij »

Huh, I didn't know that.

Maybe once I get some map making skills, time, and motivation I'll actually make a map like that. :D