Idea; server list

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Idea; server list

Post by ducktape »

hi, i had a idea when I was going thru the list and I thought it would be cool to see what the map was like before I joined. So i edited a pic. tell me what you think. It would be awesome to see what the map looks likes before you join.
Attachments
bzfi0131.png
server list
(875.34 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Stij
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Stij »

So, in other words, you have a little preview image of the map?

I like it.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Stij wrote:So, in other words, you have a little preview image of the map?

I like it.
yes. and thank you.
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

That might not be so bad of an idea... however, rendering a screenshot for each server wouldn't be practical due to the necessity of downloading the map, and the fact that many camera angles won't work on more complex maps.

Displaying a small image (for fast download time) would probably be better, and maybe that's what you were originally thinking. The image would, by default, only be downloaded from the same default servers as textures, due to the possibility of misuse.
One could also put a server logo in the image too, if one would wish.
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

I like it, it might be very good for new people, but after a while it might become not needed.
“Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all of my base are belong to you.” ~ Nerd on Colour
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

yeah I was thinking it could be like a hosters option and they could take the pic if they wanted to.
too much loving
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by too much loving »

For the sake of google. This has also been submitted feature request [ 544446 ]: displaying a map under find server http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=353248

But how should it work? Should should the server spend time rendering the picture and send it as a jpeg to the clients, or should the rendered picure be distributed along with the map? Does the client have time to render the map? Should the owner of the server be allowed to send another picture instead of the rendered map? How long time will it take before the goatse man resurfaces as a bzflag server picture?

EDIT: Typo
Last edited by too much loving on Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

This is entirely possible, without downloading the map. BZFlag could render the cached map. If BZFlag does not have the map cached, it would display nothing. Of course, complex maps would not be rendered at the proper angle for the best experience. A parameter could be added for the world block of the map, though, with the position, and up and down angle for where you should see the map.
too much loving wrote:How long time will it take before the goatse man resurfaces as a bzflag server picture?
Any public server with that would be banned off the list server. This reminds me of the incident with Planet MoFo years back.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Stij
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Stij »

A Meteorite wrote: A parameter could be added for the world block of the map, though, with the position, and up and down angle for where you should see the map.
Yeah, that would work better then trusting people to upload pictures of their map. (I know that sounds kinda cynical, but like TML said, how long will it be until someone posts lemonparty or goatse if this is implimented?)

(also, what incident with mofo?)
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Stij wrote:(also, what incident with mofo?)
They advertised the server with a description that contained an expletive (just think: "MoFo"), and were threatened with a list server ban unless immediately changed.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

IMHO, it's a good idea to be able do download a small 200x200 logo, screenshot or image of the server owner's choice - to constrain it to the screenshot is, in short, too much hassle, for what it's worth.

The "Planet MoFo Incident" occurred on it's first day of hosting. Let's just say it involved the longer, less tasteful, version of "MoFo".
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Stij
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Stij »

A Meteorite wrote:
Stij wrote:(also, what incident with mofo?)
They advertised the server with a description that contained an expletive (just think: "MoFo"), and were threatened with a list server ban unless immediately changed.
Ah.

Maybe server logos/map images have to be approved by an admin first? Or would that be too much trouble, given how many servers are out there?
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

I don't think it would take to long to approve a picture, 1 quick glance and if it's ok its ok :)

Having them approved would help secure any non sense images from reaching the Server List, we just need a way to send the image to a dev or whoever may be checking them.

If you think im trustworthy I could check the pics =P
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

The BZFlag Image Submitter could be used, but just because it makes it easy for the devs to check it, doesn't mean they're quick to (I've heard of images that took days and almost a week to get approved).

That would have the advantage of using a logo instead of a map.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Awesome I'm glad people like this idea. Also, if the server owner did not want to put a picture in we could have a, No Photo Available type thing.
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

Moderation is key. Thumbnails ideally would be approved on a per-server basis. this would work best with a more authoritative, authenticated list server, which may or may not happen in the future...

Personally I think it'd be best to allow map overviews only, not server logos. Maybe a small/subtle watermark over the map overview would be OK, but that's all.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

thats all i was saying. I didnt want it to be like a Video of the map or anything or something describing the map. nothing more.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

so what do you think will come of this? will it be put in the newest version of bzf?
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

ducktape wrote:so what do you think will come of this? will it be put in the newest version of bzf?
Patches welcome.

Seriously, though, there is no "plan" for BZFlag. The devs just have a general idea what he/she would like to implement themselves. Rarely do you see them planning what to add.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

ok well I will try to make I patch...but I would have no clue what to do. at all. but I"ll read up on it.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

ducktape wrote:ok well I will try to make I patch...but I would have no clue what to do. at all. but I"ll read up on it.
Same :P I was told it would take about 3months to learn how to make a patch, learning C/C++ and all that.

Good Luck ducky! :)
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Grace F wrote:
ducktape wrote:ok well I will try to make I patch...but I would have no clue what to do. at all. but I"ll read up on it.
Same :P I was told it would take about 3months to learn how to make a patch, learning C/C++ and all that.

Good Luck ducky! :)
heh thanks. does anyone have any links on C/C++ and stuff. thanks,

-ducktape
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

http://www.google.com (And no, I'm not joking... go do some research on your own)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

C/C++ is a little hard from what I have heard, try perl. That would probably teach you the basics of programing.
“Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all of my base are belong to you.” ~ Nerd on Colour
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

blast wrote:http://www.google.com (And no, I'm not joking... go do some research on your own)
I did do that. but I was wandring if there are any bzflag related ones. but thanks.