Destructable world objects

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
too much loving
Private First Class
Private First Class

Destructable world objects

Post by too much loving »

It could be fun to create a map that contained a destructable cubes. These cube should have a certain amount of hitpoints, but after being hit enough times they should disappear. This would allow several kinds of gameplay:

A CTF map could contain destructable staircase objects. That would allow me to secure my team flag by destructing some of the pathways. Similarly a CTF map could contain destructable walls. That would allow me to attack the enemy by poking a hole in a special destructable wall.

Some maps could allow the destruction of a cube to trigger a world weapon, then bzflag would fulfill an old feature request [ 690410 ] "Doom-style barrels" http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=353248

Boinkage suggested an interesting game type in which teams tried to destroy bases belonging to other players. If bzflag had destructable cubes, then these cubes could probably be used to implement Boinkages idea. (I hope that it is OK that I write here instead of trying to hijack his thread) http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=10957

Some cubes could be destructed by having a tank standing upon them for a certain amount of time. Perhaps this could be implemented by introducing a physics object that added damage to a destructable world object. That would allow for one-shot passages such as bridges that dissapeared when you drive over them. Eventually we could implement tron as a bzflag map.

One problem is that the destructable cubes need to respawn, so one has to invent a respawning algorithm. Perhaps this idea works best with CTF games. It may also cause some trouble to update the radars whenever an object is destructed.
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

I believe that static worlds are required as a design decision by the developers.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Translation, no that isn't going to happen... now or in the distant future...
chicken fingers
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by chicken fingers »

what fun would that be anyway if you destroyed stuff then we be playing CTF on a soccer field. open shots all around you nowhere to hide no where to sniper how fun does that sound?
Stij
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Stij »

Not all stuff would be destructable, I imagine.
*Boinkage*!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by *Boinkage*! »

I do belive that would work for my game idea. Then, make a nuke silo. Shoot it enough, and BOOM! Everyone dies :D :twisted: .
The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword.

Okay, you get a Bic, the orc gets a long sword.

He cuts the Bic in half.

Then he cuts you in half.

Oops, I meant quarters.
asciimonster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Restoring surfaces...

Post by asciimonster »

Would not be so hard to achieve when the whole surface comes off (Message from server: Surface XXXX destroyed). This should make the tanks drop who are on it.

My question is: How do you restore them? Most servers are continuous, so when you don't restore them 99% of the uptime 99% of the destroyable objects are in the destroyed state. You could set a timeout, or restore them at CTF.

When the surface is restored, you might get sealed and you are forced to self-destruct. That could be so annoying.
*Boinkage*!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by *Boinkage*! »

I hope this thread isn't too old... Anyways, to solve the problem, simply make the wall flicker in. If you don't move, well, its YOUR fault :P . Also, you could make it drive-through able- from the INSIDE. You can only go forward or turn, like OO. Final solution: Eject everything before it appears.

What would be awesome would be a game type "Castle Siege". (Pretty much destroy the base, but different.). Each team has one castle, with a wall. Shooting the wall damages it. When it falls, they have to get inside, and then something like AHOD (All Hands on Deck). At least two-thirds of the team has to be inside. After that occurs, the second wall falls. You then jump through a hoop (Like in DTB) and eventually capture and destroy the castle, destroying all the team members of the lost castle's team. They become rouges. The team capturing it gains a team point, and anyone helping in the AHOD part gets a few points. (Wasn't it LouMan who made that game type?). The last standing team earns 2 team points. the game then restarts, keeping team score but resetting personal score. The tanks respawn, the castle reappear, and the game continues.
Interesting part: the castles could have an armory, with groups of lasers, GMs, rapid fire, machine gun, stealth, and cloaking flags. They disapear when a castle is lost. (Perhaps they go out to the battlefield, like at boxy wars and other one way walls?). (Finger cramp)

He cuts the Bic in half.

Oops, I meant quarters.
Macrosoft
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Macrosoft »

its not goinng to happen, at least not in an official release of BZFlag.
just let the thread die.
gazz: A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed "to whom it may concern".
http://bash.org/?785529
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

Thread won't die.
This isn't exactly destruct-able object, but some recent commits have enabled the drive-through parameter of an object to be changed on the fly.

Translation: Doors.

It looks like it'll be a plugin that controls it, and it will have several parameters, like.. only one team can pass through this point.. things like that.

Of course this is subject to change.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
*Boinkage*!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by *Boinkage*! »

That would be awesome!
You could make a crazy maze with no radar, and when you drive into the wrong color wall, you explode :twisted: .
You might have switches to open a door (It still is there, but becomes translucent.)

He cuts the Bic in half.

Oops, I meant quarters.
GMMan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by GMMan »

My idea: little targets. Could be a nice for some sort of obstacle course. Add points every time you hit them. Also: have everyone on a conveyor, and pop stuff up while they move. Shoot down the obstacle or else BOOM! and start over. However, the ideas may require excessive coding.
I haven't touched BZFlag for years, but maybe sometime I'll make a comeback.

I'm on Twitter. And I mess with webOS. This signature is not a blog.
*Boinkage*!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by *Boinkage*! »

That could be neat. Then, make the objects invisible, but become more visible as you get close. Or, a game where players shoot PZ bullets, so they can't kill each other, but instead hit targets. You get points for that.

He cuts the Bic in half.

Oops, I meant quarters.