New game type idea: Destroy The Base(s)

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Stij
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Stij »

Y'know, that's not a bad idea.

Alternate idea: a "bomb" mode i.e. Halo. You must deliver a "bomb" flag to your opponent's base and stay there for a certain amount of time to plant the bomb. Then, kaboom, you get a point.

Speaking of alternate game modes, does anyone remember that King of the Hill map? (i think LouMan made it) That was fun...
*Boinkage*!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by *Boinkage*! »

I'm back from computer camp, and for your questions:

I like the idea of just jumping through a hoop. Also, I mean only one teammate can heal the base at the same time.

I like the bomb idea, also. The bomb could be defused, and there would be a timer to show the time left. Don't stand near the bomb when it goes off. KA-BOOM! :twisted: .

I had an interesting idea. What if there were traps in the game? They could fire shots or lasers to blow you up, or box you in. The traps could be as follows:

Machine gun trap: Fires a large number of rounds at an enemy. Easy to dodge.
Laser trap: Fires random lasers that may hit the tank. hard to dodge.
Box trap: creates a laser box tat traps the target, letting it be shot.
Warp trap: Sends the foe to their base. Kinda pathetic.
Rain trap: A storm of bullets pummel targets. A selectable number of shots fire from the ceiling, in a selectable concentration.
Uber trap: Kills all players in all servers in any game that exists with multiplayer :twisted:

Any other ideas?
The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword.

Okay, you get a Bic, the orc gets a long sword.

He cuts the Bic in half.

Then he cuts you in half.

Oops, I meant quarters.
Concept_01
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Concept_01 »

I think this is a good idea, but it seems very complex. Also, normal bases (ground level) are shot OVER. So the only way to shoot it (with a normal bullet) would have to be jumping up and shooting as you fall. I also think that this could be improved. For instance, what if it was normal capture the flag, but there was a wall to destroy before you could get to the other team's base? I think that would be a lot more fun, then there would also be the question about what would happen if the bottom of the wall was cleared. Would the top still hover, or would there be an invisible wall until the whole wall was cleared? Anyways, those are my ideas, and you did ask for some. :)
~Concept_01
Stupid signature won't do HTML!!! (If anyone can help with this, please send me a private message.)
*Boinkage*!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by *Boinkage*! »

Didn't I already post about walls and stuff? They totally collapse when destroyed, since it either falls or is crushed by more falling wall. The bases would be high enough to shoot.
Last edited by *Boinkage*! on Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

He cuts the Bic in half.

Oops, I meant quarters.
Concept_01
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Concept_01 »

:book: if you did, I didn't see it. Anyways, with what you said, it sounds workable. Good luck! :)
~Concept_01
Stupid signature won't do HTML!!! (If anyone can help with this, please send me a private message.)
*Boinkage*!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by *Boinkage*! »

Alright, I've decided how it would work.

*Timer restarts*
People fan out, and start shooting the walls. When they hit zero hp, the walls crash down, destroying nearby tanks and damaging nearby wall. Once the enemy tanks are in, they have to jump through a hoop to damage the base. Once it hits 0 hp, it explodes in a large shock wave, but it doesn't subtract score. Friendly tanks jumping through the hoop repair it by a point. Once a team loses all bases, then the timer restarts, everyone dies, and the bases reappear.
Scoring:

Dealing 5 damage to a base: 1 point.
Taking out an enemy who is near your base: +1 extra point.
Bringing down a wall section: 1 point for each person damaging it.
Having helped destroy a base (more than 3 damage): 3 points.
Destroying an enemy that hit your wall within the last 10 seconds: +1 bonus.
Repairing your base: +1 every 3 points repaired.
For every enemy base destroyed: +1 team score.
Every team base lost: -1 score and -1 team score.
Destroying all enemy bases: +5 score, +2 team score.
Losing all bases: -5 score, -2 team score.

The hoop would be a team-colored hoop (go figure!) that is above the base.

Now, for the matter of turrets: I seriously doubt these could be implanted, but if they can be, then these would be them:

Wall turret: Mounted on a wall, this fires bullets at tanks hitting the walls near it, or that come near. Attackers gain first priority. No real hit points. Fires every 0.4 seconds.

Ground turret: These turrets can fire bullets, lasers, or super bullets at tanks within a set distance. 15 hit points. Firs every 0.3 seconds

Sky turret: This turret hovers, attacking tanks nearby with bullets. 10 hit points. Fires every 0.6 seconds.

Ion cannon: This massive turret fires a huge spray of bullets at targets. 10 hit points. Particularly destructive versions fire super bullets, but the bullets have a short range. Fires every 5 seconds.

Bomb turret: This turret shoots bombs that explode into shock waves near enemy tanks. 10 hit points. Fires every 2 seconds.

Nuclear turret: This mega-turret fires slow-moving, yet utterly destructive, bullets. They explode into gigantic shock waves on impact. 15 hit points, explodes pretty big upon destruction. Fires every 15 seconds.

SAM turret: Fires GMs at nearby tanks, locking onto the nearest target. Smarter versions only target enemies that can be killed. 10 hit points. Fires every 2.5 seconds.

All turrets can be destroyed, except for wall ones(They are taken down by shooting the wall apart). Damage is as follows (Also for walls)

Bullet: One
GM: One
Laser: Two
Super Bullet: Three plus one per second inside the object. (Screws up the integrity. Deadly when fired down a series of walls.)
Phantom Zone: Zero
Rapid Fire: One Half
Machine Gun: Zero
(Rests hands)

Alright, to cover some other stuff: If a turret is ineffective versus the target, it does not fire. Friendly fire does no damage to turrets.

He cuts the Bic in half.

Oops, I meant quarters.
gnu-sense
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gnu-sense »

Has anyone in this thread read the FAQ in this forum? I'm pretty sure it rules out a lot of things that have been talked about here...

Don't mean to be a gnu-sense, I just am.
charg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by charg »

I think this is a great idea, as long as the shots dont rico.

If the shots rico, when two teammates are destroying a base, they might shoot each other. :D just trying to help
Make sure you get my new Map Editor!: http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?p=115526#115526
*Boinkage*!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by *Boinkage*! »

charg
You must've read an old version. The new ones require you jump through a hoop.

Alright, back to the concept. I do realize this might as well be impossible, but hey, nothing ever is truly impossible. I've decided I'll post something organized in word or some other editor. I'll post it soon.
DONE!

EDIT: Revisiting the topic, I had the idea of requiring teamwork to bring the enemy to their knees. You have to first take out a wall section, then swarm inside. When a specific percent of teammates are in, the second wall crumbles. You then do the normal jump through a hoop, but the losing team becomes rouges. Players get points for helping take down the second wall.
Attachments
Defend the Base.doc
Defend the Base (DtB)
(31 KiB) Downloaded 95 times

He cuts the Bic in half.

Oops, I meant quarters.