a point to bz?

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

loosers
Losers*. :)

Murtagh, there are leagues you can join if you want to have a winner or a loser. Tournaments where it does have a time limit and where it does actually end. And, there is a server setting that can be set, that allows the first player to a set amount of points (or team to a set amount of captures) to win. There are quite a few 1 vs 1 servers with this, and whoever kills the other person ten times, wins the match.

But, if you just want to have fun, and not really have to worry about winning or losing, and still kill people and get high scores... join somewhere like Missile War, Badgerking, etc. They have no set winner or loser, as stated by Mr. cynical (aka, donny baker :D couldn't resist, man).
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

ducatiwannabe wrote: as stated by Mr. cynical (aka, donny baker :D couldn't resist, man)
What??? Me.... cynical!!! (and a chronic misspeller, I must add) ;)
chicken fingers
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by chicken fingers »

ok since it didn't get answered last time :evil: ill ask it agian why did you register for bz flag if you don't liekl it murtagh i mean what is the point. haha answer that or admit you like it im like an evil mastermind :twisted:
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

chicken fingers wrote:ok since it didn't get answered last time :evil: ill ask it agian why did you register for bz flag if you don't liekl it murtagh i mean what is the point. haha answer that or admit you like it im like an evil mastermind :twisted:
Oh me oh my! I guess you can't read, OR write? Hmm... trouble indeed.
Winny wrote:
chicken fingers wrote:murogh if you don't liek the game why did u register i think thats pretty wierd.
Woot for not reading the first post!
Murtagh wrote:im not saying its a bad game
chicken fingers
Private First Class
Private First Class

Winny wrote:
chicken fingers wrote:ok since it didn't get answered last time :evil: ill ask it agian why did you register for bz flag if you don't liekl it murtagh i mean what is the point. haha answer that or admit you like it im like an evil mastermind :twisted:
Oh me oh my! I guess you can't read, OR write? Hmm... trouble indeed.
Winny wrote:
chicken fingers wrote:murogh if you don't liek the game why did u register i think thats pretty wierd.
Woot for not reading the first post!
Murtagh wrote:im not saying its a bad game
i read the whole post but i guess you have a point i am flabbergasted or blubber gasket wichever you prefer i have been outwitted.
TheOneAndOnly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TheOneAndOnly »

Quote:
That is the problem with kids today...

I may be a kid (just [13]) but i am one of the MOST addicted people here. When i get shot, or have the opposite team nick our flag, i don't take it out on admins and swear and scream at them, i just say (to my team) unlucky, better luck next time) NOT ALL KIDS ARE THE SAME
QuantumBeep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by QuantumBeep »

Yes, you're right. There have been some kids around here who have really earned some serious respect. It takes a lot of work, though. The main thing is to behave in a mature manner (if everyone can tell you're a kid by how you talk and act, you're missing it).

Good luck, and I hope you stick around long enough to get really good.
Save the trees, wipe your butt with an owl.
If catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults.

Proud member of the Mofo Cabal<br>
<br>
OK thats ENUTH OUTA YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - smartkid
Ratatosk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ratatosk »

okay fine! i accept that this is a point that the game never ends
Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.
chicken fingers
Private First Class
Private First Class

cool we have destroyed his disbelief now we can get him!!!! shun the non believer!!!!!!!
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

Ralf! wrote:Quote:
That is the problem with kids today...

I may be a kid (just [13]) but i am one of the MOST addicted people here. When i get shot, or have the opposite team nick our flag, i don't take it out on admins and swear and scream at them, i just say (to my team) unlucky, better luck next time) NOT ALL KIDS ARE THE SAME
Ralf! Very correct. very very correct. I understand you completely, and the sad thing is, the problematic ones, are the most vocal ones. And when you run into enough the type without a volume adjustment, one does begin to create a sterotype of most kids.

The smart kids realize this, and so as not to be catagorized, they stay quiet, stay put, and just play. Sadly, that is a diservice to the community, and to them.

I concur with Longhair's observation - "Yup, must be summer"
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

The Red Baron wrote:The smart kids realize this, and so as not to be catagorized, they stay quiet, stay put, and just play. Sadly, that is a diservice to the community, and to them.
Very true. Either that or they try not to act like a kid, as I tried to do. The problem with that was that I was constantly checking my posts, etc to attempt to please the admins, not to actually benefit anyone. That is just as bad as staying quiet.
Sky King
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sky King »

Someone actually wrote a book about what you are describing, named "Finite and Infinite Games".

Some games, like checkers, are finite. You play, someone wins, the game is done. You may play again, but each game is self-contained and simply ends. The whole idea of the game is to eventually end. Success is defined as being the leader at the end of the game.

Some games are infinite. The purpose of a lottery, for instance, is to go on and on and on. People win, but they never win so much that the lottery runs out of money. The whole idea of the game is to never end. Success is defined as contributing to the game in a way that makes it perpetual.

Finite games are about the player. Infinite games are about the game.

Some games are both. In major league baseball, each game is finite... and yet, you play 162 games in a year, and there's another season next year, so you can't expend all your resources on winning this one game.

Many multi player, online, role player games like this one, are infinite. You join a game in progress, you leave a game in progress. You are but a cog in the game... The moment you sign on you are just about in last place... and the moment right after you sign off, you are right back to the same score. Even if you play the perfect game, one millisecond after you leave there is another leader. And soon enough, he will leave too, and when he does, your fortune and his will have become one. In the end, we all end up tied at zero. Even if you played the perfect game.

Anyway, for me, the game is about the spirit of friendly competition, and the camaraderie. For me, competition isn't about winning. The purpose of competition is to provide an incentive to perform my best. I want someone of equal or better skill to come along and give me a reason to try harder than I did yesterday.
Retired Army--Proud to have served
Armored Cavalry Crewman, 1981-1984 (M60A5)
Infantry Officer & Paratrooper, 1984-1986
US Army Ranger & Sniper, 1986-1989 (LRSD)

Water Cooled 8-Core Ryzen 7 2700x @ 3.7GHz | Radeon RX590 GPU | 43" 4K Monitor
Ratatosk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ratatosk »

all i meant was that with all the abilities and all the flags and tactics people have there could be possibilities to make bz a finite game. it dosent have to but bz if so developed at this point you could really make something big out of it... that is all :turtle:
Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Murtagh wrote:all i meant was that with all the abilities and all the flags and tactics people have there could be possibilities to make bz a finite game. it dosent have to but bz if so developed at this point you could really make something big out of it... that is all :turtle:
There is already a way to do that. There is a player score limit and a team score limit. There is also a time limit setting. These options have been around for a long time. These enable a server owner to set criteria for when a game is "over".

If you want a finite game on a regular basis, join a league. League matches would be timed, or would be based on reaching a certain score.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

QuantumBeep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by QuantumBeep »

A slightly off-topic note, but in order to make a fair, finite game, you have to take out random factors.

Specific flag and player spawn points are critical, since a CTF game game be completely knocked off balance by unlucky spawns.
Save the trees, wipe your butt with an owl.
If catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults.

Proud member of the Mofo Cabal<br>
<br>
OK thats ENUTH OUTA YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - smartkid