Team Rabbit Hunt

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
gnu-sense
Private First Class
Private First Class

Team Rabbit Hunt

Post by gnu-sense »

An idea I had recently would be a modification of the Rabbit Hunt server mode. In this mode, the server would have regular teams, rather than a single team "Hunter". The mode would then work a bit like keep-away or king-of-the-hill in terms of scoring: every time a team member becomes a rabbit, a point is scored for the gaining team, and against the rabbit's original team. In other words, points are awarded for rabbit's changing of teams.

This might have certain advantages over Rabbit Hunt, especially where inexperienced users are concerned. For most team members, play could be more like FFA, in that one can legitimately shoot any tank of an opposing team. Hence, there would more opportunities for shooting, and possibly fewer issues with tk-ing than on traditional Rabbit Hunt. At the same time, the mode would encourage strategy and team play, by providing an objective other than being the uber-tank.

I suspect this might be implementable with a server plug-in. It's possible that something even simpler with conf files could be done, but I am not knowledgable in that area. Perhaps it has been tried before, and I just don't know?

Any thoughts?

gnu-sense
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

I believe that moving players from team to team will be an option for the 2.2 protocol, after which a whole host of custom game styles like this should become a reality.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

A team scores a point when they kill the rabbit? Assuming only two teams, how can any team gain a lead greater than one?

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

Many ideas similar to this have been discussed. Personally I've always wanted to see a "pop a cap" game, also known as "protect the VIP", etc. There are teams, and when a rabbit is chosen, the rabbit's team tries to protect the rabbit while all others try to kill him/her. The defending team scores points for defending the rabbit for each N seconds, and the team who kills the rabbit gets some number of points.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tropican8 »

Variants of this idea have been discussed many times. L4m3r actually even tried to implement it in 2.0x by using a plugin that messes with shot types:

http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=7912

The gameplay was a royal mess though. Think of AHOD x10. No one was able to figure out what was going on. Hopefully in 2.1x with switchable teams it won't be as confusing for players.
gnu-sense
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gnu-sense »

Tropican8 wrote:Variants of this idea have been discussed many times. L4m3r actually even tried to implement it in 2.0x by using a plugin that messes with shot types:

Is that plugin still around, that I could have a look at it?

don't mean to be a gnu-sense, I just am.
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

Tropican8 wrote:Variants of this idea have been discussed many times. L4m3r actually even tried to implement it in 2.0x by using a plugin that messes with shot types:

The gameplay was a royal mess though. Think of AHOD x10. No one was able to figure out what was going on. Hopefully in 2.1x with switchable teams it won't be as confusing for players.
Oh, yeah, forgot about the zombie mode... heh. A mess indeed.

I also once tried to implement the mode I explained earlier by hacking BZFS a bit... but it seems that the client switches everyone to the Hunter team every time a new rabbit is selected, regardless of the game mode or what team they were before.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.