about maps

General talk about the map making process.
Ratatosk
Private First Class
Private First Class

about maps

Post by Ratatosk »

okay a month or so ago i made a topic on map ideas... after only a few replies it was already being rejected and shunned by its vewers, well sence then i have rephrased my question to this short question:

What about maps makes you like or dislike it???
Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.
charg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by charg »

The stuff that makes you like maps, are stuff like how big the map is ; What kind of flags are in it ; Its style ; etc.

You also have to take in mind that diffrent people will like diffrent things. Like one person may like open spaces while anothe person dislikes them. Just do what you think is the best :D GoodLuck
Make sure you get my new Map Editor!: http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?p=115526#115526
Ratatosk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ratatosk »

charg wrote: You also have to take in mind that diffrent people will like diffrent things. Like one person may like open spaces while anothe person dislikes them. Just do what you think is the best :D GoodLuck
is that not the whole point of this topic? :?
Ordep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ordep »

Well... Saying that a map is better because it's GM flags or something like that is wrong. A map is good due to its overall caracteristics. So it's hard to answer your question.
charg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by charg »

Murtagh wrote:
charg wrote: You also have to take in mind that diffrent people will like diffrent things. Like one person may like open spaces while anothe person dislikes them. Just do what you think is the best :D GoodLuck
is that not the whole point of this topic? :?
Yes It is the whole point of this topic, but I'm just saying that you might get diffrent responses to your question.
Make sure you get my new Map Editor!: http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?p=115526#115526
Ratatosk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ratatosk »

im just asking that personally things make people like a map better because of the way the player thinks and plays
Tedius
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Tedius »

To me, playability is the single most important aspect to making a map. If you can nail that down, you will have a popular map, IMHO.

Playability means:
a balance of superflags
a balance of skill and luck
a rewarding experience for both noobs and advanced players
well thought out shot paths, elevations
a variety of playing options at any given moment

Determining what is enjoyable in a map requires going to servers and learning from what works and what doesn't.
this signature intentionally left blank
Ratatosk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ratatosk »

see that is what i was looking for
charg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by charg »

oh! sorry :D didnt understand the question you where asking :lol-old:

Then a good playing map to me would be,

CTF
Both sides get even advangages
Well admined
The server has to be on a good bandwith
Admins dont abuse there powers.
Good Flags for both ctf sides
Ratatosk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ratatosk »

you like ctf eh?
charg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by charg »

Yep :D

CTF is great, it makes bzflag much better, and it also gives the game an objective instead of just killing each other :D
Ratatosk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ratatosk »

i just wish more than 3 people were here
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

I think the lack of people posting to this and your other questions, is sending a very clear message to you. Map making is an art, there are few hard and fast rules. Did Michelangelo ask what do you think I should make before he created David? No, he looked at the block of marble and his tools and created what he saw. If it didn't work out (and give us one of the greatest pieces of art) do you think it would have been viewed as a failure by him? As long as he created what he felt, I don't think so. You are so focused on making something popular and getting the answers. But the answers aren't something that will help you with map making. It's the failures that make your maps better. Take the advice given. Look at other maps, study them, and then give making one a try. Then listen to the praise and criticism given to the map and then on your next map take that into consideration. Fearing failure destroys success. Without failure you can never become great...

Make some maps and good luck!!
Last edited by joevano on Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
^nightmare^
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ^nightmare^ »

Donny has a point. But i do have to say, the more creative the map is, the better i like it.
GoodLuck with your map making.
Need bzflag help? Try looking here: http://www.freewebs.com/bznightmare/map ... aghelp.htm
Ratatosk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ratatosk »

hmmm well thanks im gonna try a kind of castle map with a looping trap on the bottom
Macrosoft
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Macrosoft »

looping trap? what do you mean?
gazz: A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed "to whom it may concern".
http://bash.org/?785529
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

I'll give you a tip. When making a map, people always like to have more than one route to get from one area to another. For example, on the viper two castles map, if not for the platforms on the side of the wall, the middle entrance would be impossible to pass due to camping by shock wave or some other flag. Make sure there is a way or two to take out a camper should he find a spot in your map to sit and be lame. Also make sure there are multiple strategies... as in, make an upper route, lower route, middle route (good to be fast but dangerous). The only other thing I suggest is making different types of elevations and routes.
Ratatosk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ratatosk »

ducatiwannabe wrote:I'll give you a tip. When making a map, people always like to have more than one route to get from one area to another. For example, on the viper two castles map, if not for the platforms on the side of the wall, the middle entrance would be impossible to pass due to camping by shock wave or some other flag. Make sure there is a way or two to take out a camper should he find a spot in your map to sit and be lame. Also make sure there are multiple strategies... as in, make an upper route, lower route, middle route (good to be fast but dangerous). The only other thing I suggest is making different types of elevations and routes.
my map will be containing no flags so campers should be of lesser problem but thanks for the advice ill think about it

P.S. a looping trap is a seiries of rooms that are all exact matches with others that loop. its a trap because its easy to get disoreinted and there are no doorways just portals
Macrosoft
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Macrosoft »

Murtagh wrote: a looping trap is a seiries of rooms that are all exact matches with others that loop. its a trap because its easy to get disoreinted and there are no doorways just portals
i hate those things, i get lost too easily
gazz: A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed "to whom it may concern".
http://bash.org/?785529
Ratatosk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ratatosk »

there will be some signs to kind of direct people through