Simple traffic shaping for BZ servers?

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
larsl
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Simple traffic shaping for BZ servers?

Post by larsl »

I'm running two bzfs servers on a computer at home. I use the same internet connection to transfer files to/from school, friends computers and other servers. I'd like to make sure that the two bzfs servers always have a certain amount of bandwidth available, and that they don't get too large ping times, even when I use almost all my bandwidth for other things.

I've found the "Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control HOWTO" at http://lartc.org, but before I dive in I'd like to know if anyone else has a simple solution for this problem.
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Chestal »

I can't give you any specific advice. However, I played with some of the Linux traffix shaping/QoS features some time ago on my hom emachine (ADSLm 768/128kbit/s). I think I'm using the token bucket one (htb). I tried to give priority to ack packets and ssh while giving less to bulk traffic (for example P2P). It worked out satisfactory, but normally I don't use it these days. I also defined some rules for bzflag (client) and saw an improvement in lag. However, the results were not perfect, i.e. lag was still significantly larger than without any competing traffic.