Email String

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Email String

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

Considering the amount of people that actually use the email string to put their actual email in it, I suggest that we change it to either say "Signature" or erase it altogether. I have only seen a few people put their email in it, much more others put in their team names, slogans, sayings, mottoes, or messages. Unless your team name is your email, I don't think it's necessary to call it "email" anymore. It might even scare some players away by making them think that they need to put in their email to play, which they might not want to. I don't know about anyone else, but does this sound relevant or even worth considering?
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

Yes, the name of the field should probably be changed.

There was a proposal a while back to remove it altogether (which was successfully Rikered even, iirc), but the fact is that it IS used as a freeform text field for plenty of useful purposes (team tags/signatures/what have you).
A Hobo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Hobo »

I know I don't use it for my E-mail. I always put some kind of saying/quote that pops into my mind. I think changing the "email" to "signature" is a good idea.

By the way, there is going to be a procrastinators meeting.Later..... :P
AAA
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by AAA »

I guarantee, once you call it a signature the average email string length will increase by 2 times.

Is it appropriate? Probably not. Is it somthing that needs changing because of that? Probably not. I would say leave it alone, unless we do a complete re-write.

"Email string" sounds cooler to me, sorta like "callsign" (prefered) vs. "username" (used on this bb).
Admin and Senior Vice Executive Administrator of Network and System Architecture @ BZFX -- Core Admin @ CAN -- SF.net user diamondmagic -- irc.freenode.net nickname AAA_awright (#bzfx if not #bzflag)
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

How about "Big shout out to the collective BZFlag posse."?

Seriously, email string length really isn't an issue, since you can regulate the displayed length in the GUI options menu.

I'd like to see a fully-viewable profile menu, especially for server contact info, but I understand that's pretty much guaranteed never to happen.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

When I first played BZFlag, I thought at first that I had to put an email in to play, so I made one up and hoped it would work (it did). Because this field is not used for anything, it should be changed. 'Signature' is a bit long, any other ideas for a name for the field?
Tanner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tanner »

TD-Linux wrote:When I first played BZFlag, I thought at first that I had to put an email in to play, so I made one up and hoped it would work (it did). Because this field is not used for anything, it should be changed. 'Signature' is a bit long, any other ideas for a name for the field?
Yeah, I thought that too. Bit confusing until you play and see you don't actually need to put your email there.

-Tanner
Tanner - Segway HT i180 Red Owner - Random Map Creator - BZStocks - TS Software

strayer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by strayer »

Well, the email field is really old. I remember this point wasn't available in 1.7x via menu, but you could set it's content by editing the config file (if you knew that you had to enter it there ^^). When so many people are so confused...simply remove it from the menu. :o)
No..seriously..renaming it to "signature" really makes sense. And it'ld be rather easy to change it by editing the language files (and eventually the menu file to change the language key if you want to be perfect).

Spazzy Mcgee wrote:I'd like to see a fully-viewable profile menu, especially for server contact info, but I understand that's pretty much guaranteed never to happen.
Yes, this is a very good idea and (unfortunately) a realistic estimation about future implementation.

[EDIT] Lenght of the word "signature" doesn't matter, because you should keep in mind that all these menu items have to be translated into supported languages and you can't presume that translations are short too. So, TD-Linux, I don't really see a reason to find "shorter" field name :D
Last edited by strayer on Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A pessimist is an optimist with experience... ;o)
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

"Tag"?

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
AAA
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by AAA »

How about "tag".

Oh, good idea CBG.

Actually, I like that fild name.

We need to figure out a way to identify it as optional, and the password, though. Any ideas? The password field, then email, seem to be the most confusing for people who don't know how it works.
Admin and Senior Vice Executive Administrator of Network and System Architecture @ BZFX -- Core Admin @ CAN -- SF.net user diamondmagic -- irc.freenode.net nickname AAA_awright (#bzfx if not #bzflag)
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

AAA wrote:How about "tag".

Oh, good idea CBG.

Actually, I like that fild name.

We need to figure out a way to identify it as optional, and the password, though. Any ideas? The password field, then email, seem to be the most confusing for people who don't know how it works.
Put them in parenthesis?
Not the most straightforward approach, but hopefully newbies will get the idea.
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

How about an asterik * with a *optional at the bottom? After a few rounds of BZFlag, I just turned the email strings off to save more screen space.
asciimonster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by asciimonster »

sigonasr2 wrote:How about an asterik * with a *optional at the bottom?
Or a hint that pops up on Onmouseover()?

Here's an email string for you: :lol-old: :lol-old:
emailemailemailemailemailemailemailemailemailemailemailemailemailemailemailemailemailemailemailemailemailemailemailemailemailemailemail
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

asciimonster wrote:Here's an email string for you: :lol-old: :lol-old:
emailemailemailemailemailemailemailemailemailemailemailem(...)
...Indeed

I say it should just be changed. Having it as 'Email' isn't necessary.

I like CBG suggestion. TAG :)
FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by FiringSquad »

TD-Linux wrote:any other ideas for a name for the field?
Tag
Tagline
Info
Sig
VanityPlate ;)
BinarySpike
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BinarySpike »

FiringSquad wrote:
TD-Linux wrote:any other ideas for a name for the field?
Tag
Tagline
Info
Sig
VanityPlate ;)
I like "info" it gives a better idea of what it's used for than "tag".
(I was actually thinking "info" when I read the post)
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

Spazzy Mcgee wrote:I'd like to see a fully-viewable profile menu, especially for server contact info, but I understand that's pretty much guaranteed never to happen.
I sure hope it doesn't happen, simply due to trying to avoid having BZ become too complex. I think what is (or, unfortunately, was) great about BZFlag is the emphasis on playing the actual game, rather than using it as a social tool, that is caused by its simplicity. You play other games, and it becomes either so competitive that it becomes verbally violent, or it is used as a social tool ("lets discuss this while we play," "You suck at the game because your avatar is UGLY!!"). The simplicity of the game was the most successful filter towards all of this garbage. I play America's Army, a MUCH more complex game than BZFlag (obviously), and it is CLEAR the lack of unity and focus on lack of playing for pure fun. People are so competitive and so interested in downplaying others' abilities.

And as for changing the word "email" to something more "sensible," I am strongly against this, because I feel changing this to Tagline or Signature, for example, is a landmark change towards the loss of uniqueness and simplicity in BZFlag. It is a "BZFlagism" if you will; it has been called that for as long as I can remember (since 1.7g2), and to change it so radically to better suit newbies (the only people a more "sensible" label will benefit) instead of preserving historical elements of the game is unfortunate. It is not that hard to figure out that it is not literally for email addresses, even to the average newbie.
*Boinkage*!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by *Boinkage*! »

I play America's Army too! :D .

Anyways, it should be changed. It's too confusing for a new person, and they might just skip on playing altogether.
The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword.

Okay, you get a Bic, the orc gets a long sword.

He cuts the Bic in half.

Then he cuts you in half.

Oops, I meant quarters.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

*Boinkage*! wrote:Anyways, it should be changed. It's too confusing for a new person, and they might just skip on playing altogether.
The "email" field is confusing to a new person, and might cause them to skip playing altogether? I think that at worst, they will just put their email address in it, or nothing at all. :-)
charg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by charg »

Unless, there like highly monitored by there parents. Like if there parents are scared of the internet or something, they might not let them play :roll:
Make sure you get my new Map Editor!: http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?p=115526#115526
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

The Email String isn't needed to play, so im doubting it will stop people from playing altogether. When i first started playing, i didn't even see that email string part :?
slon02
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by slon02 »

I think its a little crazy that it'll stop them from playing. Its better to just change it to something a little more _______(fill in the blank). But its not really that big a deal, its just a blank space that you can fill in with anything, most people won't even notice it when they start. 8)
Current Server: hosting.BZADDICT.net:5173
Former Server: Fairserve.bzflag.org:5259