brain-killing-language

Questions, comments, and news on the server side plug-ins and it's API
DeathFire
Private First Class
Private First Class

brain-killing-language

Post by DeathFire »

i want to use the uselessmines-plugin but in the topic of the plugin there is nothing but brain-killing-language i dont understand. :(
im just a child you know!
please can somebody translate it to understand-able english? thank you very much!
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Don't mean to disappoint you, but there is a certain amount of knowledge you need to have in order to use server features like plugins. I know it can be overwhelming, but why don't you let us know what it is you do and don't understand about the plugin, and we'll do our best to help. Also, you might try joining the bzflag IRC support channel by clicking the "Chat Room" link at the top of the screen (join #bzflag). There should be people on there who are ready and willing to help you.
DeathFire
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DeathFire »

you really cant explain it? cant you just translate the words i dont understand? this is the post: (i dont understand the underlined and bold words)
Included files: UselessMine.cpp, UselessMine.so (Mac PPC build), and README.txt.

You can get the plugin here: http://users.adelphia.net/~devin_d/bzfl ... ne.tar.bz2

To make this quick, here are the contents of the readme file:

Code:

========================================================================
DYNAMIC LINK LIBRARY : UselessMine Project Overview

The UselessMine plugin allows players to lay proximity mines within the map. There are three different mine types: a shock wave mine, a mine that fires bullets in a spherical pattern , and a mine that fires bullets in a cylindrical pattern. Typing /mine will print a usage message. To set a mine in the map one would type /mine <mine> when he or she has the useless flag. When a mine is set, the point where the user typed /mine is recorded and that person's flag is dropped. If someone comes within the distance _shockOutRadius to that recorded point, the mine blows up (whoever set the mine cannot cause it to blow up).

NOTES

This plugin requires the Boost library to compile. The Boost library is available at http://boost.org/, and is basically an extension to the C++ Standard Library. After it is installed, you just have to add -I/path/to/boost/headers to CPPFLAGS in the makefile. For instance, on my computer it is -I/usr/local/include/boost-1_33_1/. You can, of course, change the code to not use boost at all.

Also, the mines are invisible. I have not found a way to draw something that represents a mine, which is probably not possible.

KNOWN PROBLEMS

BzFlag only allows a limited number of shots to exists a once. That number can be reached by using SphericalRegMine and CylindricalRegMine. Thus, only one mine can blow up at once.

Sometimes BZFlag will create a shot with an id withing the range [kMineShotID, kMineShotIDMax], resulting in a call to sendMineDeathMessage(), which shouldn't be called.

POSSIBLE PROBLEMS

I'm not sure if the shock wave world weapon uses _shockOutRadius to control how big it is.

[edit]
Also, you shouldn't need to install Boost to use the .so I provided, since it was just a bunch of template code that was included. I used boost::array and boost::shared_ptr.

Also, the Mac build I provided will probably only work on Mac OS 10.3.9 and later. If I remember correctly, versions of Mac OS before 10.3.9 only included a static version of libstdc++; whereas, later versions of Mac OS include a static and dynamic libstdc++. I believe UselessMine.so was linked dynamically and should only work on Mac OS 10.3.9 and later, but don't hold me to this.
[/edit]

Here is a screenshot of one of the mines blowing up.
i hope somebody can translate those words. thanks!
Last edited by DeathFire on Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

That is all very understandable English. Are you familiar with compiling a program?
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Also, what kind of operating system does your server run? That will help us provide you with more detailed instructions.
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

Hate to tell you, but yes, if you're going to compile a plugin from source code, you will need to get a basic understanding about how libraries and compilation work.

Source code is human readable instructions that is written by a programmer.

Compiling source code means that you run the source code through a program like g++ or gcc that takes the human readable instructions and turns them into 1s and 0s that are readable by a computer. It spits out a executable file.

A library is a set of code that can be included in other code and does a set of predefined things. It saves developers from having to write code from scratch every time they write a new program.

Your other alternative is to just wait until someone comes out with pre-compiled versions of this plugin.

If you're looking for help on compilation, you will need to tell us what operating system you're using. It will be easiest if you're using a flavor of Linux. The instructions above are assuming that you're at the very least using a BASH shell to compile the plugin. Anybody have luck compiling this on Windows?
LeGeeko
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by LeGeeko »

So, why can't someone just compile the plugin and upload the resulting DLL file for non-techies to use? I don't see any flaws with that.
People call me insane. :twisted:

I take it as a compliment. :wink:

I mean, what fun would life be if I wasn't? :)
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Well, it has to be compiled for your specific OS/BZFlag Server version combination for one, and BZFlag runs on just about anything... so nearly impossible to do for every combination.

But since you are requesting a .dll I am assuming you are on Windows (even though you didn't answer the question which was asked above). And as you can see in the post above yours, compiling for windows has it's challenges. :)
Last edited by joevano on Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by temporal distraction »

LeGeeko wrote:So, why can't someone just compile the plugin and upload the resulting DLL file for non-techies to use? I don't see any flaws with that.
I assume from your avatar that you are using OS X. Any precompiled DLL version of the plugin would not work for you.

Some plugin developers DO provide a DLL version with their release.
LeGeeko
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by LeGeeko »

To be honest, you're both wrong. :D I'm using Ubuntu7.04, and proud of it.

>Donny:

I used to use the ShockwaveDeath DLL on Windows a lot, for network servers. Now I don't use windows anymore. Naturally, I assumed that BZFlag would use the same type of plugin for all OS's. Apparently I was wrong.

>Distraction:

No, I don't use Mac OS X. :( Yet. :) I've been reading about it, and it looks even better than Ubuntu. It's got a UNIX core, which gives it an automatic plus. I honestly didn't know that DLL's are native to windows. Now I do.

>Everyone:

Now that you know I use Linux ( :D ), what course of action do you suggest I take?
People call me insane. :twisted:

I take it as a compliment. :wink:

I mean, what fun would life be if I wasn't? :)
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

I suggest you look for the .so instead of the .dll.
DeathFire
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DeathFire »

That is all very understandable English. Are you familiar with compiling a program?
No
Also, what kind of operating system does your server run? That will help us provide you with more detailed instructions.
I use Windows XP but i got linux on my computer too (it has a lot of glitches so i dont use it)
Hate to tell you, but yes, if you're going to compile a plugin from source code, you will need to get a basic understanding about how libraries and compilation work.

Source code is human readable instructions that is written by a programmer.

Compiling source code means that you run the source code through a program like g++ or gcc that takes the human readable instructions and turns them into 1s and 0s that are readable by a computer. It spits out a executable file.

A library is a set of code that can be included in other code and does a set of predefined things. It saves developers from having to write code from scratch every time they write a new program.

Your other alternative is to just wait until someone comes out with pre-compiled versions of this plugin.

If you're looking for help on compilation, you will need to tell us what operating system you're using. It will be easiest if you're using a flavor of Linux. The instructions above are assuming that you're at the very least using a BASH shell to compile the plugin. Anybody have luck compiling this on Windows?
ok thanks for the explaination! :)
So, why can't someone just compile the plugin and upload the resulting DLL file for non-techies to use? I don't see any flaws with that.
finally someone that understands *sigh*
Well, it has to be compiled for your specific OS/BZFlag Server version combination for one, and BZFlag runs on just about anything... so nearly impossible to do for every combination.

But since you are requesting a .dll I am assuming you are on Windows (even though you didn't answer the question which was asked above). And as you can see in the post above yours, compiling for windows has it's challenges. :)
can you compile it for windows xp please?
Macrosoft
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Macrosoft »

DeathFire wrote: I use Windows XP but i got linux on my computer too (it has a lot of glitches so i dont use it)
glitches? bah! you just havent figured out what you're doing yet (skills will come in due time), or you just have a crappy distro.
so, what distro are you using?
one last thing: if you take the time to fool around in linux, it won't take long to learn the basics.
gazz: A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed "to whom it may concern".
http://bash.org/?785529
DeathFire
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DeathFire »

Macrosoft wrote:
DeathFire wrote: I use Windows XP but i got linux on my computer too (it has a lot of glitches so i dont use it)
glitches? bah! you just havent figured out what you're doing yet (skills will come in due time), or you just have a crappy distro.
so, what distro are you using?
one last thing: if you take the time to fool around in linux, it won't take long to learn the basics.
i know the basics but it isnt installed correctly so it keeps glitching up
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

Basically, what we're hearing is that you aren't interested in doing any work whatsoever, but want us to do it for you instead. That's fine, but don't get upset if nobody does! If you were on the Linux side of your hard drive, you could probably find someone with a compiled shared object, but only a few people run a server on Windows XP, so your chances are much lower.

What Linux distribution are you using, and define 'glitch'?
DeathFire
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DeathFire »

Longhair wrote:Basically, what we're hearing is that you aren't interested in doing any work whatsoever, but want us to do it for you instead. That's fine, but don't get upset if nobody does! If you were on the Linux side of your hard drive, you could probably find someone with a compiled shared object, but only a few people run a server on Windows XP, so your chances are much lower.

What Linux distribution are you using, and define 'glitch'?
sorry didnt wanted to upset you i just want the plugin thats all i really will work for it if someone told me how.
and im using SUSE but i dont know what version sorry.
what i mean with glitch is this: resetting my computer/a program for no reason and sometimes just not letting me log in.
so thats why i dont use suse
Macrosoft
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Macrosoft »

not letting you log in... does it give you an error message. those can be very helpful
gazz: A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed "to whom it may concern".
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

DeathFire
Basically to run the plug in on ANY OS other then OSX ( since the plug-in was build for OSX). you will have to compile it.

For windows you will need to get a compiler like Visual C++ 2005 express edition. It requires a lot of setup.

On Linux, you will have to have the full build system that bzflag needs, as unspecified in the read me. Again it requires significant setup.

Running a server is not a simple task, it involves a lot of knowledge of how your computer and operating system works, as well as knowledge of networking to minimize security issues to your server and any attached networks.

When you use terms like 'brain killing language' it indicates that ether you don't understand what you are attempting to do, or you do not wish to put the effort into it.

If these concepts seem above your understanding of computers, then it may be best if you go and learn more about how computers and development works, before you go and host a server. That way you will understand exactly what you are doing, and what the risks are.

re: your suse problem, it would be best if you took that to a suse specific support site.
ImageJeffM
DeathFire
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DeathFire »

Macrosoft wrote:not letting you log in... does it give you an error message. those can be very helpful
no it doesnt says anything :( sorry cant help you any further with that
JeffM wrote:DeathFire
Basically to run the plug in on ANY OS other then OSX ( since the plug-in was build for OSX). you will have to compile it.

For windows you will need to get a compiler like Visual C++ 2005 express edition. It requires a lot of setup.

On Linux, you will have to have the full build system that bzflag needs, as unspecified in the read me. Again it requires significant setup.

Running a server is not a simple task, it involves a lot of knowledge of how your computer and operating system works, as well as knowledge of networking to minimize security issues to your server and any attached networks.

When you use terms like 'brain killing language' it indicates that ether you don't understand what you are attempting to do, or you do not wish to put the effort into it.

If these concepts seem above your understanding of computers, then it may be best if you go and learn more about how computers and development works, before you go and host a server. That way you will understand exactly what you are doing, and what the risks are.

re: your suse problem, it would be best if you took that to a suse specific support site.
ok thanks
Macrosoft
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Macrosoft »

DeathFire wrote: no it doesnt says anything :( sorry cant help you any further with that
what? help me? i thought you were the one who needed help...anyway, good luck with solving your login problem
DeathFire
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DeathFire »

Macrosoft wrote:
DeathFire wrote: no it doesnt says anything :( sorry cant help you any further with that
what? help me? i thought you were the one who needed help...anyway, good luck with solving your login problem
o sorry im not very good at english.
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the_j0k3r »

DeathFire, everything you need to know is out there, it just requires a little bit of searching. Since people don't write howto's on "compiling the particular plugin that you want, under your specific circumstances", just compromise.

my.bzflag.org/w/ is a good starting point, it will give you information on downloading the source, and compiling ( i know he doesn't need the source for a plugin ).

To compile what you need on windows, i suggest you do a bzbb search in the "Help: Source Code / Compiling / Development" for "compile bzflag" and search until you find the post made by deathdealer by the links clan. It is the most helpful tutorial on compiling bzflag i could find, and it made it relatively easy to compile bz. Once you can go through this, any plugin will be a breeze.

My point being, that the people who can understand the "brain-killing-language' are the people who have taken the time to read through what others have written out and spent some effort understanding it.
Last edited by the_j0k3r on Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeathFire
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DeathFire »

the_j0k3r wrote:DeathFire, everything you need to know is out there, it just requires a little bit of searching. Since people don't write howto's on "compiling the particular plugin that you want, under your specific circumstances", just compromise.
my.bzflag.org/w/ is a good starting point, it will give you information on downloading the source, and compiling ( i know he doesn't need the source for a plugin ).
To compile what you need on windows, i suggest you do a bzbb search in the "Help: Source Code / Compiling / Development" for "compile bzflag" and search until you find the post made by deathdealer by the links clan. It is the most helpful tutorial on compiling bzflag i could find, and it made it relatively easy to compile bz. Once you can go through this, any plugin will be a breeze. My point being, that the people who can understand the "brain-killing-language' are the people who have taken the time to read through what others have written out and spent some effort understanding it.
Thanks!!!!! :) :) :)