how did u find bz?

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )
Warinthestar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Warinthestar »

i never actually found it... my dad did a few months ago and he showed me... no clue how he found it :shock:
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

I found it in PC Magazine in the Feb. 20, 2007 issue under the "Best Free Software for 2007" section. It was mentioned as one of the games, and it sounded the most interesting out of the list, so I got online and found this game!
charg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by charg »

I learned about it in school :shock:, i know weird isnt it :roll:

My teacher was crazy about bzflag :shock:
Make sure you get my new Map Editor!: http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?p=115526#115526
BZNewman
Private
Private

Post by BZNewman »

I found it as part of my installation of Mandrake Linux (prior to Mandriva). I didn't have a video card to support it at first, though. I recall being eager to try it out when I started it after buying a newer card -- the one I had crapped out -- and it actually worked.

My first kill was a team kill, unfortunately :( But, I got the hang of the basics (more or less), and I've been addicted ever since...
Gort
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gort »

Like the poster above, I discovered BZFlag when I was running Mandrake, because it came as a default package; this was back in 2003. I'm not really a games player as such, so it didn't really interest me back then, although I did run it to see... and got quickly killed. That wasn't really what put me off as such, it was the 100% CPU usage, despite using the nVidia drivers from the nVidia site. Anyway, four years later and now using Debian, I decided to see what games might interest me. BZFlag came up again, among others, so I thought I'd give it a go. The same 100% CPU usage issue, but I decided to continue to give it a try. Totally useless and a kill magnet, but it was quite fun despite that. I also discovered the Energy Saving option, which has brought the CPU usage dramatically down while keeping the game playable (I don't see the point of having a frame rate above 25, because the human eye can't process any faster).

After a few sessions over the last two days, I'm still a kill magnet, but hopefully I'll improve over time. For a person who isn't really into games, BZFlag certainly has kept me interested. In a few more hours, I'll venture onto the server to give others a big target to aim at. ;)
RexFlex
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by RexFlex »

A gaming farm hosted by my ISP had a basic BZFlag map running for a while some years back. I was giving the commercial online multiplayer games a little bit of a rest and wanted to try something a little different, so I gave it a go.

By the time that gaming farm stopped hosting the BZFlag map, I was hooked and was playing other maps.
"Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight, or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin paid; mostly only when I'm gettin paid. But eating people alive, when does that get fun?"
donkyhotay
Private
Private

Post by donkyhotay »

friend of mine mentioned it to me once a year or so ago. Can't remember why it was even mentioned or how he found it.
D is for Dangerous
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by D is for Dangerous »

i have a mac os x and it gives me a list of free downloads
i just happend to come across bzflag
AntiAbuseProtection
Private
Private

Post by AntiAbuseProtection »

I found bzflag in a computer.... Installed.... When searching for a file. aah school computers!
Dew
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dew »

/usr/games/bin on SGI Indy machines at the university where I now work, this must have been in 1996 or 1997. Back when there was no jumping and CL was food for L.

It was instant love. :)
XLR8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by XLR8 »

Believe it or not, I found BZFlag from my dad. You may know him as Darmstadt, but he only plays at like 1:00 in the morning. :shock:
skamper
Private
Private

Post by skamper »

A friend showed me
A Looney Kumquat
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Looney Kumquat »

my dad and his friend showed me, and I thought it looked kinda dumb (having an XBox360 and a 9ft by 5 ft hidef projection screen has gotten me used to INSANE graphics) then a couple weeks later I cooincidentally found it on a school laptop- LOL I failed that history project!!!!
-ALK

OS Moment <"O""S" mo·ment>
1) Where one can see something bad about to happen, cant do a bloody thing about it, but still has time to say "Oh 5h!t!!!" 2) An action that makes all the surrounding people drop their jaw and say "Oh 5h!t...."
SpedyRF
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SpedyRF »

Wow, quite a question. I can;t remember, but I think it was when I was searching for something to do on the net...
Cop @ cruel's
Cop @ ahs3's
Cop @ *shadow*'s
Knox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Knox »

It was on my comp.! :D :D
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

2 years ago a friend was playing and he showed me the game...
angryfirelord
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by angryfirelord »

I was browsing around in the Ubuntu repos when I came across it. Curiosity took over from there. :)
MonsterMan++
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by MonsterMan++ »

I just found it on the internet somehow...then got addicted!
Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
-George Carlin

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.
-George Carlin

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.
-Yogi Berra

Better a broken promise than none at all.
-Mark Twain
zaa
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by zaa »

About 5 years ago, I usually found my brother using the computer in a darkish zone of my old house. (Later, we moved). He was always playing this game with all of these colored tanks, shooting at each other. I always wondered... "What game is he playing?" [My brother's callsign on BZFlag was Kreeshaw, for anyone that might recognize that name.] A few years later, (in my new house) I stumble upon my computer and search exactly "multiplayer tank games", I find a site with an average list of about 20 tank games. I download the one labeled BZFlag, thinking that I was sure that this was the game. I start playing... and suddenly, I'm Hooked.

I was in this alternate world where I could shoot, chat, and make some new buddies. Soon, I am playing on a Ducati BZFlag server, and scoring a few points. This random tanker.. *I forget his name* ...says to me, "Goto my.bzflag.org/league/". So, I go to the website, and I am astonished, I was thinking... "I can play official matches in servers like this? Woo!". I sign up for the league. Before you know it, I am matching with a team.

One day, I was heading to a Ducati server, and I pick the wrong server, and end up at this server which some people called "GU style". In my chat box, it says something like, "goto gu.bzleague.com". So I do, And I thought that It was "just another league". I start playing on the servers, and I like it! I sign up for the league. I am soon joining new teams.

That's how it all started for me. :)
birdie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by birdie »

charg wrote:I learned about it in school :shock:, i know weird isnt it :roll:

My teacher was crazy about bzflag :shock:
whats his nick? you might find him to shoot him if he gives you bad remarks or results :)
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

I know I've only played for about a year (I'm hitting the one year mark shortly), but I can't exactly remember what I was doing when I downloaded it. I think I was looking for Linux games that ran on Windows (which I was using at the time). My best bet is http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/items/f ... /index.php. Now I'm converting everybody else over...

P.S. Interestingly, my uncle is the one that caused me to begin programming. But that's another story.
Quasar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quasar »

XLR8 up there showed me. =P
gordon1470
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gordon1470 »

i was looking for a cool game that was free.
I think i did pretty well. 8)
GodSenD
Private
Private

Wel ifound it in a magzine

Post by GodSenD »

I am from Pakistan and i read a magzine named "Global Science" quite regularly.
in this edition of October 2007 i got a glimpses of this game and then i just registered to the game and got some fun....
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

I booted once just for fun few times linux.
The most build in games were boring there, after few seconds i lost interest playing them. I just liked chromium and bzflag.

So u see, its just the guilty of the "bad, bad" ;) linux that i do bz instead doing productive working... :P
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."